Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 1 Jun 2018, 15:52 (Ref:3826047)   #126
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd be cautious with a 'universal Class One format'. According to the article, Japanese still want to alter the regulations a bit so that it would suit Super GT more. They don't want exactly the same regulations, they'd like to have some freedom, especially in regard of aerodynamics. It doesn't bode well and I don't think any of the three Super GT manufacturers have any interest in fielding their teams in DTM. So, all in all, the exhibition races of both series have practically nothing to do with DTM's prospect for future. Even with almost-unified Class One regulations, the DTM is rather unlikely to get any new manufacturer. Class One does not seem to be affordable for private teams either.
Old 3 Jun 2018, 17:03 (Ref:3826565)   #127
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have you heard what happen today?
Old 3 Jun 2018, 17:52 (Ref:3826573)   #128
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yeah, awful. Maybe it’s time to look at using something else for pit aprons or applying some kind of traction compound. Hopefully something will be done because it’s not the first time this has happened at the Hungaroring.
Old 3 Jun 2018, 18:12 (Ref:3826578)   #129
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jerome d'Ambrosio spun in the pit lane in 2011. So it was somewhat known that the pit lane was slippery and yet the FIA couldn't be bothered to do something about it? Maybe they'll do now, as the pictures of out of control touring cars hitting mechanics and marshals will probably go around the world. Obviously I hope the injured people get well soon. But the DTM may face a PR nightmare in a time, where it desperately needs good, positive news. It's not necessarily their fault, but they will be connected to it nonetheless. Being connected to pictures of racing cars injuring people will hardly increase manufacturer or sponsor interest.
Old 3 Jun 2018, 19:02 (Ref:3826582)   #130
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Auer, Mortara and Spengler have been disqualified from race 2 because of the incidents.
Old 4 Jun 2018, 09:50 (Ref:3826701)   #131
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
Auer, Mortara and Spengler have been disqualified from race 2 because of the incidents.
Not sure I agree with that, they were clearly taking it easy in the pitlane but were caught off guard by the lack of grip. I think this was a genuine accident for all involved. Really nasty to see anyone injured, but I dont imagined any of them would blame the drivers, the conditions were just very extreme.
Old 4 Jun 2018, 11:29 (Ref:3826712)   #132
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, I don't think that exclusions are rightful in this situation. However harmful the incidents were, this is not the reason to penalise drivers as they didn't make any mistake that resulted in the crashes. I think it's rather a PR-driven decision.
Old 4 Jun 2018, 12:27 (Ref:3826726)   #133
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
With all due respect, but the fact that those 3 had incidents while several others hadn't does mean they took too much risk right? Now if every driver in the pit lane had played bowling with his pitcrew it'd be a different story, but that wasn't the case.

I do think exclusion is a bit heavy though. I also think Hungaroring should be forced by the FIA to change their pitlane, because an environment where a lot of people are shouldn't be that slippery when it gets wet.
Old 4 Jun 2018, 13:24 (Ref:3826735)   #134
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel View Post
With all due respect, but the fact that those 3 had incidents while several others hadn't does mean they took too much risk right? Now if every driver in the pit lane had played bowling with his pitcrew it'd be a different story, but that wasn't the case. I do think exclusion is a bit heavy though.
I think Auer as first man into the pits was caught out by the lack of grip - the other 2 were warned over the radio what had happened and there were yellows waving in the pit lane when they came in so have no excuse. I'd have excluded Spengler and Mortara but not Auer.

Quote:
I also think Hungaroring should be forced by the FIA to change their pitlane, because an environment where a lot of people are shouldn't be that slippery when it gets wet.
Is the issue seen anywhere else? I know other circuits have concrete pit aprons but I don't recall hearing incidents like this before.
Old 4 Jun 2018, 13:40 (Ref:3826738)   #135
Lutzvic
Racer

Lutzvic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was there, directly on the opposite side in the grandstands...
the 1st one was an accident....the 2nd and 3rd happened minutes later...it was hazardous driving to get an advantage from the accident happened.
Old 4 Jun 2018, 17:23 (Ref:3826806)   #136
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Apparently a lot of drivers are critical of the race not being stopped sooner
Old 4 Jun 2018, 18:23 (Ref:3826824)   #137
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Apparently a lot of drivers are critical of the race not being stopped sooner
Why? Racing in wet is part of motorsport.
It's a series with pitstops so they can switch to rain tires.
Old 4 Jun 2018, 19:52 (Ref:3826841)   #138
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Because of the accident, not the conditions
Old 4 Jun 2018, 22:07 (Ref:3826862)   #139
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
The grandstands were quite empty at Hungaroring.
Old 5 Jun 2018, 05:57 (Ref:3826897)   #140
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
I think Auer as first man into the pits was caught out by the lack of grip - the other 2 were warned over the radio what had happened and there were yellows waving in the pit lane when they came in so have no excuse. I'd have excluded Spengler and Mortara but not Auer.

Is the issue seen anywhere else? I know other circuits have concrete pit aprons but I don't recall hearing incidents like this before.
Valid points! Regarding the slippery issue, I think it's an Hungaroring issue. As mentioned on another forum there have been issues before: https://youtu.be/239Ezf0b0tc
Old 5 Jun 2018, 17:59 (Ref:3826995)   #141
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
The grandstands were quite empty at Hungaroring.
It was raining, and Norby wasn't invited.
Old 9 Jun 2018, 07:36 (Ref:3827789)   #142
Matt K
Veteran

According to Motorsport Total, Aston Martin and Maserati are interested in joining DTM from 2020.
Old 9 Jun 2018, 18:44 (Ref:3827856)   #143
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
According to Motorsport Total, Aston Martin and Maserati are interested in joining DTM from 2020.

More like "Gerhard approached them about DTM and they didn't slam the door in front of his nose."

Although Aston may make somewhat sense, IF they wanted to enter Super GT as well. With the new regs, it'd be much easier to modify cars to let them run in the other series.
Old 11 Jun 2018, 12:19 (Ref:3828381)   #144
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS" View Post
More like "Gerhard approached them about DTM and they didn't slam the door in front of his nose."

Although Aston may make somewhat sense, IF they wanted to enter Super GT as well. With the new regs, it'd be much easier to modify cars to let them run in the other series.
Aston seem to be doing everything from 2020 don't they? DTM, LMP1, F1 anything goes it seems. How many of these projects actually become reality is another thing entirely of course.
Old 11 Jun 2018, 13:19 (Ref:3828406)   #145
loon
Racer

loon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridloon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Aston seem to be doing everything from 2020 don't they? DTM, LMP1, F1 anything goes it seems. How many of these projects actually become reality is another thing entirely of course.
I would take a guess at about zero
Old 11 Jun 2018, 15:09 (Ref:3828438)   #146
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
You'd almost think Dany Bahar took the wheel at Aston
Old 11 Jun 2018, 15:24 (Ref:3828442)   #147
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
You'd almost think Dany Bahar took the wheel at Aston
Good call
Old 15 Jun 2018, 08:26 (Ref:3829600)   #148
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
According to Motorsport Aktuell, Mücke Motorsport and HitechGP are interested in competing in next year's season. This coincides with the series finally realizing that a good nucleus of independent teams can be an advantage for the series.

A new car - including the turbo - costs about 800.000 €, which for a series primarily focussed on Germany is still a lot of money. But some GT3-cars come close to the sum as well, even though such cars aren't really supposed to be sold to privateers. But a full season is alledged to cost only about 2-3 million €. Which isn't THAT much, in my opinion. If a private team has enough sponsors that are willing to invest, it should reach such a sum pretty quickly.
Old 15 Jun 2018, 09:16 (Ref:3829620)   #149
Matt K
Veteran

Would be good if that happened. I believe, DTM should not stop their quest for new manufacturers but still they should change their involvement in the series. Independent teams should be allowed and manufacturers should just support the teams. Once again I give the example of Supercars - Holden or Ford had their factory teams but it didn't cause the series to be so political.
Old 24 Jun 2018, 12:40 (Ref:3832836)   #150
J.U.
Racer

Germany
Hamburg
J.U. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't watch race 1 at Norisring yesterday, but race 2 was very enjoyable. Personally, I preferred to see Mortara winning (I don't like Wittmann), but I have to admit that he did a decent job.