Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 29 Nov 2007, 13:12 (Ref:2077936)   #1
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
DTM still has a long way to go to survive by Rob Veltman

Another great read, I think all of us can add something to the discussion, because the topic on agenda is... Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters, what to do to survive.

DTM still has a long way to go to survive
Old 29 Nov 2007, 13:28 (Ref:2077946)   #2
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think the author validly explains how DTM will not survive - he just explained what he doesn't like about it at the moment and doesn't really explain how those things will cause it to fail either economically, politically or in public popularity.

His comparison with Australian V8SC is mostly, IMO, invalid. It suffers from the same problems he cites DTM as having.
Old 29 Nov 2007, 16:36 (Ref:2078027)   #3
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Sergiev Posad, Moscow Region, Russian Fe
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What's the problem we should discuss?I cannot see it in the article.
Old 30 Nov 2007, 18:02 (Ref:2078889)   #4
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
The main problem of DTM are not the technical rules or race format but the influence of Mercedes and Audi. If drivers could race for own glory I think the races would be much more interesting. So will the new technical rules attract more manufacturers and teams? I am not convinced, first Mercedes and Audi have to change their policy.

BTW is Rob Veltman member of this forum?
Old 30 Nov 2007, 21:46 (Ref:2079027)   #5
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
It is also technical thing. Everyone should be allowed to use custom blueprint for Mercedes-Benz and Audi, blueprint which could have been used by independent factories, not only HWA and Abt Sportsline. What we've got today is farce, year by year they choose drivers to driver 4 new cars, rest must use 1 or even 2 year old cars. Free of choice? Let the likes of Zakspeed, Holzer, Rosberg, Abt, Mucke... build the cars, or buy them from outsource company. In theory at least, every car will have same chance.
Old 30 Nov 2007, 22:12 (Ref:2079036)   #6
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You mean like in F3 where you buy a Dallara or Mygale or whatever?
Old 30 Nov 2007, 23:19 (Ref:2079062)   #7
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
I mean like in V8 Supercars or NASCAR leagues, where you choose chassis from different providers, manufacture providers inc.
Old 30 Nov 2007, 23:24 (Ref:2079064)   #8
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It could work, providing it was only the chassis that was made from a specalist manufacturer. People like Lola, Dallara, G Force, Dome, Zytek could all make competitve chassis I think. However some teams would have better chassis than others and the performance gap between the top teams and bottom teams could well be bigger than it is now.
Old 1 Dec 2007, 00:40 (Ref:2079101)   #9
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
I doubt, if you prepare them from the same blueprint and the same technical documentation cars should be the same on performance ground.

It can't be worse than it is now?!

Other major issue is... sporting rule book.
Old 1 Dec 2007, 07:52 (Ref:2079208)   #10
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Sergiev Posad, Moscow Region, Russian Fe
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well,what are we talking about?Do we want to see a show with no gap between first and last row?Then we should be happy with a monoclass racing.I want to see a Real battle.To reveal the best combination of car and pilot.And it doesn't matter to me what gaps will be.It wil be Sport,not show. It would be great if such competitors like Zakspeed return,and construct racing cars on their own. It will be Real DTM,DTM 'it ought to be'.
Old 4 Dec 2007, 04:35 (Ref:2081132)   #11
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex K
It is also technical thing. Everyone should be allowed to use custom blueprint for Mercedes-Benz and Audi, blueprint which could have been used by independent factories, not only HWA and Abt Sportsline. What we've got today is farce, year by year they choose drivers to driver 4 new cars, rest must use 1 or even 2 year old cars. Free of choice? Let the likes of Zakspeed, Holzer, Rosberg, Abt, Mucke... build the cars, or buy them from outsource company. In theory at least, every car will have same chance.
But what would you do with all the past year's cars? They already try to equalize the past year's veh with different base weights.
Old 4 Dec 2007, 09:46 (Ref:2081242)   #12
zac510
Veteran

I would think that if you asked those teams if they want to build their own chassis they would probably say 'nein'. Too expensive and too time consuming.
Old 4 Dec 2007, 10:14 (Ref:2081259)   #13
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's all right if Audi and Mercedes make their own chassisses and engines. If they then sell them to teams, who finetune them and then race them. Let the best team and driver win.
But as long as the DTM is run by Germans it won't be easy to follow the Australian example. It's just because Germans aren't Australians, they lack the easygoing spirit to 'see what happens'. They like to be in control. Maybe Audi en Mercedes need to hire foreign managers to be responsible for the DTM-business.
Old 4 Dec 2007, 10:23 (Ref:2081267)   #14
zac510
Veteran

In V8 Supercars most of the top chassis are built by a few top teams and sold to the smaller teams so it's not really a valid argument. I think you are not entirely wise to how it works down under, which I mean in an inoffensive way. It's hard to tell from the other side of the world
Old 4 Dec 2007, 15:14 (Ref:2081430)   #15
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know how it goes down under, but i do know the results are good. I do know a bit better how it goes with my neighbours though, Germany is closer to me than most of Australia to you, and thus are Germans to.
Old 4 Dec 2007, 16:01 (Ref:2081450)   #16
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510
In V8 Supercars most of the top chassis are built by a few top teams and sold to the smaller teams so it's not really a valid argument. I think you are not entirely wise to how it works down under, which I mean in an inoffensive way. It's hard to tell from the other side of the world
And that's what I thought of ;-). Should work in DTM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmchow
But what would you do with all the past year's cars? They already try to equalize the past year's veh with different base weights.
Y'know kmchow, before season ended I really thought, esp. after Catalunya disaster, that both Mercedes-Benz and Audi will compromise and and build four 2007 chassis to add them to four existing 2007 chassis? And will dispose rest , I mean 2006 chassis. Cost of building four 2007 chassis would probably be same as building new 2008 chassis, but would improve morale of privateers and drivers, and... ofc ours.

They didn't do it, which is a shame IMO. I know mates, I was naive, such a romantic I am.
Old 4 Dec 2007, 16:02 (Ref:2081451)   #17
zac510
Veteran

All I was trying to say is that they're more closely aligned than you think. The two top manufacturers dominate the privateers both on the track and in business.
Old 4 Dec 2007, 16:24 (Ref:2081472)   #18
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex K
They didn't do it, which is a shame IMO. I know mates, I was naive, such a romantic I am.
You clearly forgot the fact that Audi recently introduced a new A4 Just like Mercedes updated their DTM car this year to mimick their new C class.
Old 28 Dec 2007, 11:28 (Ref:2095701)   #19
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Looks like there will be no new regs for 2009 after all. Touring car times wrote that new regs will come at the earliest in 2010 and someone on the official DTM forum (don't go there it's a horrible place) quoted an article from Motorsport aktuell, that said that Audi will only allow new regs if a new manufacturer comes into the series.
Old 28 Dec 2007, 11:40 (Ref:2095707)   #20
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King
the official DTM forum (don't go there it's a horrible place)
You have made me curieus. Before I go there, what is so bad about it?
Old 28 Dec 2007, 12:57 (Ref:2095750)   #21
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
A bunch of ultra-uninformed but ultra-biased morons who spent 2/3s of their time insulting each other (or the drivers and other personell from the enemy manufacturer).
www.dtm.com/forum

Don't say that I didn't warn you...
Old 1 Jan 2008, 23:05 (Ref:2097769)   #22
clioracer
Rookie

clioracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by werner
It's all right if Audi and Mercedes make their own chassisses and engines. If they then sell them to teams, who finetune them and then race them. Let the best team and driver win.
But as long as the DTM is run by Germans it won't be easy to follow the Australian example. It's just because Germans aren't Australians, they lack the easygoing spirit to 'see what happens'. They like to be in control. Maybe Audi en Mercedes need to hire foreign managers to be responsible for the DTM-business.
Is it possible to "fine tune them"?
I think it`s only because the Germans, Mercedes Benz and Audi are so good at building top quality touring cars that the series still survives today. GM (Opel) could not win even with a host of good drivers like Frentzen and others. Maybe the cars, when brand new would be too expensive for customer cars.
The easygoing spirit is alive and well in motorsports i think ......in F1 it`s called Toyota!
Old 3 Jan 2008, 18:09 (Ref:2098744)   #23
Ed Peters
Racer

Ed Peters should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
BTW is Rob Veltman member of this forum?
Yes.... he visits the forum quite often.
Old 12 Jan 2008, 21:07 (Ref:2104909)   #24
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Mr Revhead has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i remember the first time i ever saw DTM on tv.
used to be shown late on a monday night (i used to stay up in secret to watch it as it was waaay past my bed time!)
on came these awesome looking hot rods that looked like mercs, opels, alfas and even some mustangs!

it was awesome.... they looked wild! like the sports sedans they raced here. i loved it.

now i watch it (when i can find some coverage) and i still love it.
why? coz the racing is close and HARD! and the drivers are amoungst the best in the world.
but..... i agree.... having two makers with 4 currant cars each and making the other teams run old cars is just ludicris!! too many drugs around that rule making table...

i watch the V8SCs here, and i love that series..... its a 2 make heavily regulated series, but i feel there is more teams there that can win a race than there is in DTM. they are similar in ways.... but at the end of the day i think the V8s have it worked out a bit better.

for example: DTM.... 2 makers run the top 8 cars in thier own teams and the other teams must run old cars.

V8SC, while the 2 makers have factory teams, they support many teams with chassis and engines. and the tech rules are made in such a way that a privateer team can afford to make thier own chassis, or have their own engine department.
or in the case of TKR they can lease a car off another team, therefore having the latest spec for a fraction of the cost making them far far more competitive than they otherwise would be.

Last edited by Mr Revhead; 12 Jan 2008 at 21:15.
Old 7 Feb 2008, 18:58 (Ref:2123424)   #25
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
I don't know in which topic to post this, but IMO this is how DTM cars should look like (except 4 doors instead of 2):

Photo source: www.autoweek.nl

Mercedes C-class, Audi A4 with these type of spoilers...Real cars, not the current tubeframe cars with plastic bodies...