Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 10 Apr 2019, 13:50 (Ref:3896602)   #5026
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
It's going to take more than building a cafe.

Is the paddock big enough to accommodate all the teams, plus the TOCA/Dunlop/RML support trucks, plus the hospitality units, plus all the support race teams with their support trucks and hospitality?

Is there enough spectator banking to accommodate a typical (30,000?) BTCC crowd? Is there enough parking for the spectators?

Is there enough accommodation in the local area for all the teams / guest / spectators?

What is access like to the circuit? There's only one road on and off the isle of Anglesey; I suspect if that many people tried to arrive / leave at the same time it would gridlock a large portion of North Wales.
Hopefully that's their aim, because it would be a great addition to the calendar in terms of racing - though like you said, a lot of work needed on the infrastructure. 🤞🏼
Old 10 Apr 2019, 16:24 (Ref:3896618)   #5027
CharliesDad
Rookie

CharliesDad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tender for the introduction of hybrid has gone out today, make the most of the sound of BTCC while you can.
Old 10 Apr 2019, 16:44 (Ref:3896620)   #5028
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharliesDad View Post
Tender for the introduction of hybrid has gone out today, make the most of the sound of BTCC while you can.
Current drive train will still be used alongside though, so sound will remain the same.
Old 10 Apr 2019, 17:33 (Ref:3896632)   #5029
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I noticed in one of the press releases about the hybrid system that is said low voltage which would mean something along the lines of the 48V systems appearing in many normal ICE cars which you barely notice when actually driving except the stop/start system kicks in while at between 5-10mph.
Old 10 Apr 2019, 17:40 (Ref:3896635)   #5030
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Having been to Anglesey a couple of times it is dual carriageway from the M6 all the way to Holyhead. It is just the final 5/6 miles and in particular the final road in to the circuit which isn’t up to much. I don’t think they could handle the typical BTCC crowd but I’m not sure if they would necessarily get a large crowd. Might get a few visitors from the R.O.I

The paddock in itself would likely need to be double size to accommodate the hospitality units
Old 10 Apr 2019, 18:22 (Ref:3896643)   #5031
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I guess any hope of the cars becoming lighter and more nimble will fade into obscurity when the hybrid system comes into play... What is the weight estimate of a hybrid system, 50-100kg?
Old 10 Apr 2019, 18:46 (Ref:3896649)   #5032
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I guess any hope of the cars becoming lighter and more nimble will fade into obscurity when the hybrid system comes into play... What is the weight estimate of a hybrid system, 50-100kg?
an article in tct a while ago said no success ballast so that net weight gain won’t be too much
Old 11 Apr 2019, 08:31 (Ref:3896746)   #5033
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If they go down the BISG route, the motor weighs around 5kg more than the alternator it replaces. Battery is small and flat. With the weight of the wiring I'd guess about 40kg max.
Old 11 Apr 2019, 09:27 (Ref:3896764)   #5034
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Colin is saying he is not driving to his natural style in the new BeeEm. He will get there in time though, he is that talented to
Old 11 Apr 2019, 10:32 (Ref:3896790)   #5035
Mogster
Rookie

Mogster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
It's going to take more than building a cafe.

Is the paddock big enough to accommodate all the teams, plus the TOCA/Dunlop/RML support trucks, plus the hospitality units, plus all the support race teams with their support trucks and hospitality?

Is there enough spectator banking to accommodate a typical (30,000?) BTCC crowd? Is there enough parking for the spectators?

Is there enough accommodation in the local area for all the teams / guest / spectators?

What is access like to the circuit? There's only one road on and off the isle of Anglesey; I suspect if that many people tried to arrive / leave at the same time it would gridlock a large portion of North Wales.
When this was last talked about the bridge was mentioned as being a big problem.

It’s a shame as the BTCC calendar could really do with a couple of fresh venues.
Old 11 Apr 2019, 21:20 (Ref:3896894)   #5036
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Nearer 50 than a 100kg I think; from what I know (or think I know) we're talking a small electric boost rather than major electrification.

Still, it'll make the cars slower and more of a handful in corners. The cynic in me says it's all about PR.
Old 11 Apr 2019, 21:24 (Ref:3896896)   #5037
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
Having been to Anglesey a couple of times it is dual carriageway from the M6 all the way to Holyhead. It is just the final 5/6 miles and in particular the final road in to the circuit which isn’t up to much. I don’t think they could handle the typical BTCC crowd but I’m not sure if they would necessarily get a large crowd. Might get a few visitors from the R.O.I

The paddock in itself would likely need to be double size to accommodate the hospitality units
I am visualising some of the more Southern BTCC people thinking "NORTH Wales? Isn't that somewhere near Scotland.... it takes all week to get there!"

It's a nice circuit but would need money spending. The bridge would be a bottle neck, but maybe no more of a pain than the farmtrack (!) that leads to Oulton!
Old 12 Apr 2019, 10:32 (Ref:3896980)   #5038
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Nearer 50 than a 100kg I think; from what I know (or think I know) we're talking a small electric boost rather than major electrification.

Still, it'll make the cars slower and more of a handful in corners. The cynic in me says it's all about PR.
I'd prefer there to be a sub-class so that you weren't forced to run the hybrid if you didnt want it.

They can have their electric boost 30BHP more, but they need to be 75kg heavier etc.
Old 12 Apr 2019, 18:47 (Ref:3897073)   #5039
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I am visualising some of the more Southern BTCC people thinking "NORTH Wales? Isn't that somewhere near Scotland.... it takes all week to get there!"

It's a nice circuit but would need money spending. The bridge would be a bottle neck, but maybe no more of a pain than the farmtrack (!) that leads to Oulton!
Have you ever seen the road to Mondello? That was rural.
Old 13 Apr 2019, 12:04 (Ref:3897210)   #5040
Johno.UK
Racer

Johno.UK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I wouldn't say it would make them slower. All depends on what they do with the minimum weights etc. Boosting them off the corners in the acceleration zones could make a big difference with the torque of electric motors.

Of course it's all about PR. Manufacturers have to justify their spending to the board so the more relevant the series is to marketing the range of cars they sell the better.
Old 13 Apr 2019, 15:42 (Ref:3897230)   #5041
MagicBoy
Racer

United Kingdom
MagicBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno.UK View Post
I wouldn't say it would make them slower. All depends on what they do with the minimum weights etc. Boosting them off the corners in the acceleration zones could make a big difference with the torque of electric motors.

Of course it's all about PR. Manufacturers have to justify their spending to the board so the more relevant the series is to marketing the range of cars they sell the better.
Depends if it's full on F1 style KERS, or that weird eTorque belt drive alternator replacement thing like on the (Dodge) Ram pickups.
Old 13 Apr 2019, 16:54 (Ref:3897240)   #5042
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
I'd much rather they allow the teams to lower the min weights of their cars and race with no hybrid, or to race with hybrid and have a 100kg penalty weight etc.

1250kg - no hybrid
1350kg - hybrid
Old 13 Apr 2019, 16:55 (Ref:3897241)   #5043
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Edit: I meant to post about LMP hybrids and posted it in the BTCC section like a fool.

100kg on a 1350kg car is going to make no difference to the show at all. If every car has it then it will not be noticable.

Last edited by Akrapovic; 13 Apr 2019 at 17:01.
Old 17 Apr 2019, 20:10 (Ref:3898287)   #5044
CharliesDad
Rookie

CharliesDad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Carl Boardley missing from the Thruxton test today... Team Hard’s first change on the cards already??
Old 17 Apr 2019, 21:01 (Ref:3898293)   #5045
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharliesDad View Post
Carl Boardley missing from the Thruxton test today... Team Hard’s first change on the cards already??
Or his day job prevented him from attending?
Old 18 Apr 2019, 07:44 (Ref:3898350)   #5046
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Or his day job prevented him from attending?
Or didn't feel it was worth spending part of his budget on a couple of hours testing.
Old 18 Apr 2019, 08:47 (Ref:3898354)   #5047
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Edit: I meant to post about LMP hybrids and posted it in the BTCC section like a fool.

100kg on a 1350kg car is going to make no difference to the show at all. If every car has it then it will not be noticable.
I beg to differ. It depends on how they approached it with the success ballast etc (which I hate BTW) but last year we saw the WSR BMW some 100kg heavier than some FWD vehicles, 75kg + 25kg RWD penalty, and they were qualifying down in 18th - 20th place at some tracks.

In any case its not meant to "make a difference to the show" as such, merely balance out an alternative propulsion method.
Old 18 Apr 2019, 23:24 (Ref:3898468)   #5048
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well I’m not sure. The RWD had some advantage, but so does FWD. Mainly different tracks suit different cars. Although weight will have an effect, so it was too much last season
Old 19 Apr 2019, 10:37 (Ref:3898558)   #5049
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Give it a few rounds and I guess we'll see what the revised ballast does to the "show".

As is always said RWD offers advantage at some tracks but disadvantage at others. It balances out pretty much. Turks, in arguably the best car (if you were to remove TOCA's balancing) was competitive but never ever ran away and hid out front.
Old 19 Apr 2019, 11:38 (Ref:3898567)   #5050
S griffin
Veteran

I think it's a step in the right direction. With it so competitive it won't ruin your whole weekend now