Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 1 Apr 2000, 13:33 (Ref:2158)   #1
fatbloke
Veteran

fatbloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bathurst

What is happening with Bathurst this year ? Is there still a V8 AND a ST event ? Is it 500km or 1000km ? When is/are it/they ?

Are any UK drivers expected to go ?
Old 1 Apr 2000, 14:24 (Ref:2159)   #2
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I agree that they should give the V8's back the long weekend...I dont have a problem with super tourers at all but their quest to have a 1000km race has totally failed with no international drivers of note showing up at all last year and having to boost the grid with new zealand cars..it just seems to be falling in a big hole.
Now channel 7 have got themselves into a mess with football and the olympics and they have to fit bathurst in there somewhere.

I would like to see 2 races up there because a race around Bathurst is awsome no matter what is racing but if the super tourers carnt fill the grida and the TV network unsure on what they are doing give it back to the V8's who are thriving at present with over subscribed grida and still enough cars to fill a 20 odd car privateer grid for the new "lites series"
It would be a shame for it not to be the finale but at least it would be back on its original and rightfull date and of course being a long weekend the fans will flock to it.

maybe they could run a 500km race for super tourers on the saturday but then the 3 hour GTP showdown would miss out I guess..tough decision coming up for channel 7 in the next few months but I feel they will dump the race as they havent shown any real interet for quite a few years now.
Old 1 Apr 2000, 22:54 (Ref:2160)   #3
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Bathurst isn't going to be the final race of the season, it will be a rather lagre joke. Remember back to the 80s? They used to have a few endurance races after Bathurst, which nobody would give a toss over due to the fact that everyones attention span was used up at Bathurst.
Whats more, having the race in November, Avesco have:
1. Better weather
2. Better media coverage as the football season has finished.
3. Better crowd
This raises the dabate, should Bathurst be a part of the championship. It is already the biggest thing without it being apart of the championship. Adelaide seems to be the big show case, and how about Canberra. They could make one of them the big end of season finale. How aboult the ALMS and V8s on the one program (im probably dreaming there)?
Seeing Super Tourers and V8s on the one program again?? I think i will be long in the cold cold ground before i see that happening (and i dont plan on dying some time soon..) Maybe one day in the future they might race together at some historic meeting, but the question has be asked, will super tourers have any more meetings period?? OK, they will, but if Channel 7 bail on them, who is going to put them on TV? I a magical dream world everyone would race at Bathurst together, but it aint gonna happen..
Old 3 Apr 2000, 15:57 (Ref:2161)   #4
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
October bathurst has been moved to March 2001 and will feature a 1000 kay race for super tourers, future tourers, and possible some other tin top categories.

November bathurst tried very hard to divorce themselves from tradition in 1997 (they didn't even want to run it at Bathurst initially) so why move back to October? There's no real need to move it.