Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 5 Feb 2008, 13:09 (Ref:2121612)   #51
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm going again tomorrow so if anyone wants any photos of anything in particular let me know.

As for the cafe, when I went up at Christmas the kitchen was full of beer and lager, they'd got their priorities right!!
Old 5 Feb 2008, 20:14 (Ref:2121917)   #52
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Gregor you forgot to say your Dad won 63 races in 'the old nail', I saw a fair few of them, his dices with Whiting at Brands or against Mick Hill at Mallory were awesome! His first win with it was in '71 at Llandow.

Gerry Johnstone, your Dad's mechanic also drove it in a sprint at Snett in '72 and won his class, got his photo in 'Autosprout' in a typically familiar GM cornering pose, who taught him?! You need Joe Ward to loan 'Baby Bertha' nowto make up a pair!

I haven't been to the museum for about 10 years myself, must do again. I understand the Wheatcroft's are planning to do more with it now, as they are not involved with the circuit anymore. I recall being amazed when I first went, same year the circuit re-opened in '77. Everyone used to go to the bar up by the museum after a days racing in those days..Eddie Jordan, Gerry, Whizzo etc.
Absolutely brilliant that the only saloon there is that car.
Old 6 Feb 2008, 08:06 (Ref:2122210)   #53
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kitson
I recall being amazed when I first went, same year the circuit re-opened in '77. Everyone used to go to the bar up by the museum after a days racing in those days..Eddie Jordan, Gerry, Whizzo etc.
If I remember correctly the bar was where the foyer is now. On one occasion a well oiled Eddie Jordan was doing an Irish Jig (probably for a bet) when somebody pointed out his ferry left in about an hour or so. His truck disappeared in a cloud of gravel and diesel smoke seconds later!

It was a very sociable place
Old 6 Feb 2008, 13:46 (Ref:2122454)   #54
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine
If I remember correctly the bar was where the foyer is now. On one occasion a well oiled Eddie Jordan was doing an Irish Jig (probably for a bet) when somebody pointed out his ferry left in about an hour or so. His truck disappeared in a cloud of gravel and diesel smoke seconds later!

It was a very sociable place
I still wonder how we ever got home sometimes! Thankfully some things (but not many) are better (sensible) these days.
Old 6 Feb 2008, 13:59 (Ref:2122462)   #55
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I haven't been to the museum for about 10 years myself, must do again. I understand the Wheatcroft's are planning to do more with it now, as they are not involved with the circuit anymore.
Not quite true! The Wheatcroft's had very little involvement in the circuit operations (apart from take the lease money!) whilst the last owners ("Live Nation", I think, a media company anyway) ran things but now I understand that Tom Wheatcroft is back on the Board of the new company. Also, the circuit and the museum & the land that it all sits on are now operated by the same company, this wasn't the case in the Live Nation days as i think that they only "owned" the circuit behind the concrete wall.
Old 6 Feb 2008, 19:03 (Ref:2122670)   #56
GBRM
Veteran

England
Quote:
Gregor you forgot to say your Dad won 63 races in 'the old nail', I saw a fair few of them, his dices with Whiting at Brands or against Mick Hill at Mallory were awesome! His first win with it was in '71 at Llandow.

Gerry Johnstone, your Dad's mechanic also drove it in a sprint at Snett in '72 and won his class, got his photo in 'Autosprout' in a typically familiar GM cornering pose, who taught him?! You need Joe Ward to loan 'Baby Bertha' nowto make up a pair!

I haven't been to the museum for about 10 years myself, must do again. I understand the Wheatcroft's are planning to do more with it now, as they are not involved with the circuit anymore. I recall being amazed when I first went, same year the circuit re-opened in '77. Everyone used to go to the bar up by the museum after a days racing in those days..Eddie Jordan, Gerry, Whizzo etc.
I don't like to bore people too much Andy, it's too easily done, especially me talking about Old Nail!! You're right with the first win but can you remember the first race Old Nail was entered in??

Gerry J did drive to Old Nail (and built his own version) and I think Clive Richardson might have done too, but other than that the only other person was Bill Dryden and to be fair I think the whole lot amounted to 6 races out of probaly 120ish. As for the loan of Baby Bertha that's up to Joe and his phone will be ringing tomorrow.

Here's a picture of Old Nail from TODAY.
Old 6 Feb 2008, 19:26 (Ref:2122695)   #57
GBRM
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97
Not quite true! The Wheatcroft's had very little involvement in the circuit operations (apart from take the lease money!) whilst the last owners ("Live Nation", I think, a media company anyway) ran things but now I understand that Tom Wheatcroft is back on the Board of the new company. Also, the circuit and the museum & the land that it all sits on are now operated by the same company, this wasn't the case in the Live Nation days as i think that they only "owned" the circuit behind the concrete wall.
Andy, not quite true either unfortunately. It's not my place to say who, where, when, why, but I think I'm allowed to say the circuit is allowed to do what it wants and the Collection is allowed to do what it wants. I can't say yes or no about Tom being involved still (I really don't know), but I know that Kevin W is, and from speaking to him in general the Collection is very important to him (and Tom); as still is the circuit. Kevin (and maybe Tom) are advisors but, the "new" lease-holders can do what they want, within reason, in the next 149 years but it has to go through Kevin (and possibly Tom).

All I'm trying to say is from the circuit point of view there's new investment and some magic ideas and from the collection point of view; it's not forgotten, there's some new F1 cars coming and (I know self-indulgent, but just trying to let people know), there's the "odd" saloon car there and Kevin and Tom (and the new owners) are trying their best there.

I think 10/10ths should PM every member about going to the Donington Collection; offer them a bit of money off, and we can all meet up, use the conference hall (the resteraunt is shut at the moment but if we can get "x" amount we can open it) and it'll be huge fun!!
Old 6 Feb 2008, 20:56 (Ref:2122759)   #58
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've been going since it opened in 1975/1976, and built a Scalextric version of the circuit for the Donington Speed Show where the NSCC stand was billed as "with Donington".

I have a photo taken by a friend, of Ronnie Petersen having a go, and with Mick Hill's FTD time in the background!

NSCC organised the first post war car meeting May 1977 and true to form, once the circuit had organised its own club, NSCC were out in the cold - yet again.

Donington is dear to my heart as my dear old dad took some wonderful prewar photos for the Nottingham Evening News, and I still have most of them - on glass plates!

The museum is ALWAYS worth a visit, and on our last UK trip, after the museum, we wanderd down to the paddock and there was a track day in progress. Some fantastic cars there too. And for free.... Just walk up to the barrier and the guy on the gate will probably just wave you through.
Old 7 Feb 2008, 09:18 (Ref:2123086)   #59
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This was the Donington Park's own press release at he begining of last year wrt the sale:

"MONDAY 5th February, 2007 (Castle Donington, DERBY):

Donington Park Leisure Limited, operators of Britain’s most historic motor racing and event venue, Donington Park, has today been sold by Live Nation (formerly Clear Channel Group) to the newly created Holding company Donington Ventures Leisure Limited (DVLL), led by founders Simon Gillett and Lee Gill. DVLL has simultaneously acquired from Wheatcroft & Sons, substantial surrounding lands and have taken over responsibility for the ‘Donington Grand Prix Collection’ - the world’s largest collection of Grand Prix racing cars. These acquisitions will allow the company to further develop the circuit and motor sport events but also widen the Park’s appeal in leisure and entertainment. Donington Park founder Tom Wheatcroft has agreed to join the company and will assume the role of President with immediate effect. Kevin Wheatcroft also joins the company as special advisor and brings expertise and knowledge that will help develop and promote the Donington Grand Prix Collection."
Old 11 Feb 2008, 08:45 (Ref:2126299)   #60
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBRM
I don't like to bore people too much Andy, it's too easily done, especially me talking about Old Nail!! You're right with the first win but can you remember the first race Old Nail was entered in??
That would have been the televised Crystal Palace race that is on youtube then! He practiced the car (first time it turned a wheel) but it needed sorting and the old Viva was quicker, so raced that instead..correct?
Old 11 Feb 2008, 09:48 (Ref:2126349)   #61
GBRM
Veteran

England
Quote:
That would have been the televised Crystal Palace race that is on youtube then! He practiced the car (first time it turned a wheel) but it needed sorting and the old Viva was quicker, so raced that instead..correct?
Good work!! IIRC Nail was 1 second a lap slower than the Viva at Crystal Palace and they had wanted to complete the '71 season in the Viva, but Roger Bell and Mike Crabtree put an end to that by writing off the two Vivas at the BBC televised race at Lydden Hill, which was Old Nail's third event (after Palace and Llandow).
Old 24 Apr 2008, 21:25 (Ref:2186077)   #62
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
On the subject of the museum, how long does it take to cover the entire place on a visit? Been to Donington Park many a time, but never visited the collection so far.
Old 25 Apr 2008, 08:25 (Ref:2186277)   #63
GBRM
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves
On the subject of the museum, how long does it take to cover the entire place on a visit? Been to Donington Park many a time, but never visited the collection so far.
Tough question really; you could walk from the entrance to the end and then back to the entrance in 20 minutes or you could stop at every car and it would take about 6 hours depending on photos.

I've found for me that I've been 3 times in the last 12 months, each time about 2 hours and each time seeing something new and interesting, just depends really but I think you definitely need to go twice within a 12 month period.

Plus, the Collection does change; 95% of the cars are working and do go out and new ones come in occassionally, especially in the winter they seem to change.
Old 25 Apr 2008, 10:51 (Ref:2186399)   #64
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks Gregor. I might set aside a whole day for the visit then! Go round it at my leisure.