Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 6 Aug 2005, 15:45 (Ref:1373766)   #51
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree the JYS book really was a let down. His racing career is pretty much skipped over in favour of his corperate achievements and the Stewart F1 team.
Old 14 Aug 2005, 22:40 (Ref:1382312)   #52
thejester
Veteran

New Zealand
Wellington
thejester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
McLaren Memories - Eoin Young

Trying to locate a copy of 'From the Cockpit' by Bruce McLaren himself. The man's career spanned the absolute classic era, racing alongside everyone from Moss & Gonzalez through to Clark and Stewart, going from a driver to a designer and team owner/driver. Fantastic stories.
Old 15 Aug 2005, 15:42 (Ref:1382855)   #53
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Has anyone read Coopers book on Piers Courage? I'm thinking of getting that next, but not if it's a lemon.....
Old 15 Aug 2005, 16:20 (Ref:1382890)   #54
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
Has anyone read Coopers book on Piers Courage? I'm thinking of getting that next, but not if it's a lemon.....
Yes and it is an orange rather than a lemon. You won't regret it.
Old 15 Aug 2005, 21:23 (Ref:1383121)   #55
Pete Fenelon
Racer

Pete Fenelon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed - a very atmospheric book, not just an excellent and penetrating bio of Piers but a very good survey of racing at a particular point in time. Has a lot about the young Frank Williams, too.

Cooper was one of the best Autosport journos (I used to really enjoy his pieces from Japan when he was their man out there) - he really understands what makes racing drivers tick, and that insight helps him to paint a very detailed portrait of Piers and his world.
Old 16 Aug 2005, 09:06 (Ref:1383385)   #56
ensign14
Veteran

Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
At times it almost reads as a biog of Charlie Crichton-Stuart - and that's not meant as a criticism. You get a real feel of living hand-to-mouth in a camper van whilst removing prize money from the Continent at a rate in the F3 screamers.
Old 16 Aug 2005, 15:12 (Ref:1383714)   #57
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Right you two, I've ordered this book on your recommendation so if it sucks I'll be round your houses with a big ruddy stick!

I'm a fan of Coopers writing in general though.......I have some old Autosports and have enjoyed reading his out-in-Japan columns, as well as his articles and features. A good writer, who does too much writing for F1 Racing. He should leave that to Matt Bishop or peter Windsor, two highly annoying journalists.
Old 16 Aug 2005, 15:13 (Ref:1383716)   #58
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Also got myself a 1996 Autocourse for £15......
Old 16 Aug 2005, 17:30 (Ref:1383864)   #59
kingfloopy
Veteran

United States
Iowa, USA
kingfloopy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My favorite motorsports books is Best Damn Garage in Town by Smokey Yunick. I've read it about 100 times since I bought it.

My second favorite would have to be The Unfair Advantage, its a classic.

J.D.
Old 17 Aug 2005, 15:36 (Ref:1384736)   #60
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i dont have 20 books lol but have a couple faves

Porsche - The Fine Art Of The Sports Car by Lucinda Lewis, Thunder Bay Press San Diego
Can-Am by Pete Lyons
Can-Am Racing Cars by Karl Ludvigsen
Hitler's Grand Prix In England - Donington 1937 and 1938 by Christopher Hilton
The Speed Merchants by Michael Keyser
The AVUS Story by R. Kitschigin
Der Nürburgring - Daten, Fakten, Zahlen - Geschichte und Geschichten by Jörg Thomas Födisch
Zanardi - Nicht zu Bremsen by Gianluca Gasparini

at the moment I'm watching out for The Porsche Drivers Handbook by Vic Elford.........
Old 18 Aug 2005, 10:39 (Ref:1385423)   #61
Pete Fenelon
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfloopy
My favorite motorsports books is Best Damn Garage in Town by Smokey Yunick. I've read it about 100 times since I bought it.

My second favorite would have to be The Unfair Advantage, its a classic.

J.D.
Love 'em both. Only trouble with Smokey's book is after an evening reading it you start cussin' like him
Old 18 Aug 2005, 10:41 (Ref:1385425)   #62
Pete Fenelon
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy77
i dont have 20 books lol but have a couple faves
The Speed Merchants by Michael Keyser
That's such an atmospheric book - fantastic photography.
Old 18 Aug 2005, 10:49 (Ref:1385430)   #63
ensign14
Veteran

Deception Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy77
Can-Am by Pete Lyons
This is a great one as well, Pete Lyons is such a good writer. I detect however a slight sportscar bias?
Old 19 Aug 2005, 07:08 (Ref:1386034)   #64
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14
This is a great one as well, Pete Lyons is such a good writer. I detect however a slight sportscar bias?
Heh just a slight. I like almost any 4 wheel and 2 wheel racing except rallye coz i miss the direct wheel to wheel fights there.
Old 6 Sep 2005, 19:56 (Ref:1400726)   #65
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
I don't have read many books about autosport but I like these:

Le Mans 24 Hours - Brian Laban

Porsche in Motorsport: The First Fifty Years - Peter Morgan

Targa Florio 'The Post-War Years' 1948-1973 - David Owen
I hope someone will publish a book with the same quality as Laban's Le Mans 24 Hours book about this great Italian race.

Life in the fast lane - Steve Matchett
Are his other 2 books also a good read?

I am planning to buy Scarlet Passion: Ferrari's Famed Sports Prototype And Competition Sports Cars 1963-73.
Old 8 Sep 2005, 18:42 (Ref:1402202)   #66
Pete Fenelon
Racer

Steve Matchett's other two books are good, but perhaps 9/10 where his first was a 9.5 - "The Mechanic's Tale" tells of his apprenticeship as a road car mechanic and his whole F1 career, with a lot of insights into how a team actually works over a period of years; "The Chariot Makers" is an intro to modern (post-2000) F1 technology structured around conversations with enthusiasts about how you'd go about building the "ultimate F1 car". I think Steve's writing became slightly slicker and a bit less personal as he progressed and became part of the media rather than a mechanic with a pen...
Old 12 Sep 2005, 17:39 (Ref:1405883)   #67
richard_sykes
Racer

Wales
Wales, Uk
richard_sykes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Fenelon
Steve Matchett's other two books are good, but perhaps 9/10 where his first was a 9.5 - "The Mechanic's Tale" tells of his apprenticeship as a road car mechanic and his whole F1 career, with a lot of insights into how a team actually works over a period of years; "The Chariot Makers" is an intro to modern (post-2000) F1 technology structured around conversations with enthusiasts about how you'd go about building the "ultimate F1 car". I think Steve's writing became slightly slicker and a bit less personal as he progressed and became part of the media rather than a mechanic with a pen...
agreed more documentry than drama
Old 29 Sep 2005, 13:33 (Ref:1419975)   #68
jump
Rookie

England
West London
jump should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Life in the Fast Lane is my all time favourite, but The Mechanics Tale is a very close second. Definately worth reading.
Old 6 Oct 2005, 22:51 (Ref:1425790)   #69
kingfloopy
Veteran

United States
Iowa, USA
kingfloopy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really liked The Mechanic's Tale. I've been trying to get a copy of The Chariot Makers, but the book store I ordered it from doesn't want to cooperate and get it here.

J.D.
Old 13 Oct 2005, 21:48 (Ref:1433117)   #70
richard_sykes
Racer

Wales
Wales, Uk
richard_sykes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Get it from amazon. Its okay but not as good as MT.
Old 14 Oct 2005, 11:56 (Ref:1433524)   #71
Hip Priest
Racer

Hip Priest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have just obtained Kings of the Nurburgring by Chris Nixon, via a special offer from Motorsport magazine. I've been too busy to begin reading it so far, but has anyone else read it?
Old 14 Oct 2005, 12:14 (Ref:1433543)   #72
Pete Fenelon
Racer

Yes. It's not Chris's best book (that was Mon Ami Mate, I reckon) but it's got some very good text and superb photography - most of which I haven't seen before. It's basically structured as a brief history of the circuit and then focuses on drivers who've won major races at the Ring, and the races they won there. A good way to remember Chris who passed away a few months ago.
Old 14 Oct 2005, 17:49 (Ref:1433828)   #73
Hip Priest
Racer

Hip Priest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Pete.

I'll hopefully find some time this weekend to get stuck into it. I've already had a good look at some of the pictures. The scenery is amazing, as are the cars of course!
Old 22 Oct 2005, 19:15 (Ref:1440798)   #74
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
I don't have read many books about autosport but I like these:

Le Mans 24 Hours - Brian Laban

Porsche in Motorsport: The First Fifty Years - Peter Morgan

Targa Florio 'The Post-War Years' 1948-1973 - David Owen
I hope someone will publish a book with the same quality as Laban's Le Mans 24 Hours book about this great Italian race.

Life in the fast lane - Steve Matchett
Are his other 2 books also a good read?

I am planning to buy Scarlet Passion: Ferrari's Famed Sports Prototype And Competition Sports Cars 1963-73.
I am almost half way in Scarlet Passion. It's a good book, but I prefer the writing style and stories like in Peter Morgan's Porsche in Motorsport.
Old 15 Nov 2005, 10:35 (Ref:1461211)   #75
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Doe's anyone remember The Castrol Drivers Manual by Frank Gardner. The Tech stuff will be a bit dated now, as it was written in the 70's, but it's worth a read for Gardners sense of homour alone!