Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 23 Sep 2019, 04:46 (Ref:3929579)   #901
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If only I could predict the lotto numbers.
Old 23 Sep 2019, 04:54 (Ref:3929580)   #902
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Mark, I will find you the reference material I read. You know I know who you are but that is immaterial to this moment in 83.

No doubt the paperwork exists for 505 cars. There were 505 cars on the dock. But the vast majority of the flathood, never had the homologation parts fitted. Apparently 7 cars were.

If you want to believe 470 cars had parts removed, on the docks in the USA before they were sold rather than a swifty being pulled by one person or the other, go ahead. It doesn't change history. But now long enough has passed that these stories are out.
You know who I am Mixer but you choose to make unfounded allegations hiding behind a nom de plume.

I invite you to send me a copy of the reference material you choose to believe: mark@racerproducts.co.nz
Old 23 Sep 2019, 05:51 (Ref:3929585)   #903
Speedy400
Racer

Speedy400 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
@mark

Interested in coming over for the Bathurst enduro next year?
Old 23 Sep 2019, 08:10 (Ref:3929600)   #904
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It! View Post
Who was the manufacturer, all those years ago, who put the parts in the boot of your new car to comply with the rules?
BMW also did it way back with the 3.0CSL 'Batmobile', which had fins, a roof spoiler, boot spoiler and front splitter that were a bit off the wall at the time, and some potential customers did not like them.
Old 23 Sep 2019, 08:58 (Ref:3929609)   #905
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I know about the Batmobile. It was a unique car for sure
Old 23 Sep 2019, 11:55 (Ref:3929653)   #906
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mark, in my research to find the articles I had read, and believed to represent the facts, I found you yourself confirming exactly what I have written here, which I think fits the likely facts as they stand:
Quote:
MarkPetch
Like a lot of stuff that has been written about the GpA Volvo's 240T, Mark Oastler has something's right but is guilty of poor research on a number of points he makes in his article, still it was a long time ago and its only in the last couple go years that I have turned my attention back to that period. One of the least understood facts about the FIA's controversial 500 Evolution rule that Volvo successfully exploited, was that the FIA rule was very poorly drafted from a legal point of view. Volvo's legal opinion was that you did not actually have to build 500 evolution cars, but merely offer 500 cars with all the homologated parts contained in the car itself for sale. I have spoken to two original American purchasers of the so called Evolution cars, and both of them said they were offered the Evolution parts as additional cost extra's, one declined to purchase any extra's and the other said he purchased the Boot spoiler only. When the FIA was threatened with a law-suit by Volvo, they quickly backed down and re-instated the homologation and that is indisputable fact.
Now this is all just interesting history, but given the issues around homologation at the time, I think the regulations around Group A homologation were loose, and all the manufacturers in one way or another exploited the rules, and Volvo's would seem to be one of the least gregarious ways.

You could say the manufacturers got bigger and bolder over time.
Old 23 Sep 2019, 15:39 (Ref:3929674)   #907
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Mark, in my research to find the articles I had read, and believed to represent the facts, I found you yourself confirming exactly what I have written here, which I think fits the likely facts as they stand:

Now this is all just interesting history, but given the issues around homologation at the time, I think the regulations around Group A homologation were loose, and all the manufacturers in one way or another exploited the rules, and Volvo's would seem to be one of the least gregarious ways.

You could say the manufacturers got bigger and bolder over time.
As I said back then I had only just started to turn my attention back to events of some 30 years ago at that point. However, in researching the soon to be published 240 GpA book [including spending 3 day's with the late Goran Sallstrom at his home in Sweden, the 'Father of the 240GpA project' ] I am now in possession of the fact's.

The FIA "loop hole" that Volvo exploited in the GpA Homologation process was that though you had to build a minimum of 500 identical cars, there was no requirement that you had to sell even one car!

Of the 505 so called "Evolution cars" presented to the FIA inspectors, only 2 of those fully equipped Evolution cars were later shipped back to Sweden and used by Volvo executives as personal cars. not one of the #SQ serial numbered cars was sold to the public complete with the newly homologated parts, and as I have already said, none of the 505 cars was ever built into a GpA race cars.

My last comment on the Volvo 240T GpA subject Mixer, as it has nothing to do with TCR cars apart from the FIA/TCR's questionable acceptance of the entry of Link & Co WTCC car's, which by the way I am personally investigating by trying to purchase one of these cars, so I might know a little more in the future.

Cheers,

Mark.
Old 24 Sep 2019, 22:19 (Ref:3929964)   #908
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
2019 TCR Australia Silly Season

Peugeot joining the fray at The Bend with a factory entry piloted by Aurelien Comte is a nice surprise.
Old 24 Sep 2019, 22:21 (Ref:3929965)   #909
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Peugeot are putting some investment back I to their TCR program.
Old 24 Sep 2019, 23:42 (Ref:3929983)   #910
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Peugeot joining the fray at The Bend with a factory entry piloted by Aurelien Comte is a nice surprise.
I guess they are dipping their toe in to see who bites.

All good news but I would love to see an independently sponsored entry with driver confirmed for next year!
Old 25 Sep 2019, 00:49 (Ref:3929989)   #911
Umai Naa
Veteran

They are trying to shift cars.

They're giving one away as a prize for winning the 308 Racing Cup in France.

I'm actually surprised ARG never bought a pair of these in the first place.
Old 1 Oct 2019, 11:50 (Ref:3931278)   #912
kittle
Veteran

kittle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone know why Bright split with MSR and have his Golfs back with MPC??
Old 1 Oct 2019, 11:54 (Ref:3931280)   #913
Umai Naa
Veteran

I'm told part of the reason was the turnaround time for the crew, after the NZ Supercars event.

I must say, the overall presentation of the cars had somewhat improved when MPC took over.
Old 1 Oct 2019, 21:49 (Ref:3931372)   #914
Umai Naa
Veteran

A Cupra has lobbed into Mr Brant's establishment.
Old 1 Oct 2019, 23:50 (Ref:3931378)   #915
A-A
Rookie

A-A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who will put their hands in their pockets for one of these?

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2019/1...-2020-tcr.html
Old 2 Oct 2019, 01:45 (Ref:3931391)   #916
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle View Post
Anyone know why Bright split with MSR and have his Golfs back with MPC??
A win at SMP, a crash at PI, two rounds with no pace, winning again at Winton and strong at Sandown. I don’t think the cars were at the top of MSR priorities!
Old 2 Oct 2019, 02:33 (Ref:3931393)   #917
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-A View Post
Who will put their hands in their pockets for one of these?

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2019/1...-2020-tcr.html
A bloke with ties to the series formerly known as the V8Ute series told me he was interested in the Mazda back at the SMP round. He also said there was at least one other race team from another series that knew of, and were interested in the Mazda project.
Old 3 Oct 2019, 02:40 (Ref:3931615)   #918
Shabbie
Rookie

Australia
Brisbane
Shabbie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ford TCR

What are the Chances of Team Johnson racing in this Series and going the Ford Path
Old 3 Oct 2019, 10:46 (Ref:3931659)   #919
Umai Naa
Veteran

With what?
Old 3 Oct 2019, 11:36 (Ref:3931673)   #920
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
With what?

Yeah this. There’s no Ford option for TCR at the moment.
Old 3 Oct 2019, 11:52 (Ref:3931677)   #921
Umai Naa
Veteran

The cars that do exist, had zero support from Ford, and worse reliabilty than the Subarus.
Old 3 Oct 2019, 22:28 (Ref:3931798)   #922
tobyobi
Rookie

tobyobi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
The cars that do exist, had zero support from Ford, and worse reliabilty than the Subarus.
Also no longer homologated for TCR: http://www.tcr-series.com/homologated-cars

Doesn't stop someone trying to make a new car, like the Mazda that has been developed, but you're up against it.
Old 4 Oct 2019, 07:29 (Ref:3931858)   #923
Umai Naa
Veteran

Without manufacturer input, it's difficult to design and development something that comes in under the cost cap, and still make money out of the whole project.
Old 10 Oct 2019, 19:49 (Ref:3933179)   #924
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyobi View Post

Doesn't stop someone trying to make a new car, like the Mazda that has been developed, but you're up against it.
Why not just run the Mazda... Ford, Mazda close enough!

Love those Rays Engineering Volk TE37 on there too. I'm not sure that any of the other TCR cars use lightweight forged wheels -- I suspect forged lightweight wheels are not allowed in order to cut costs?

With the exceptionally (unusually) strong position of Mazda in the Australian market (compared to in other countries), some soul red Mazda3s would be a surefire hit with fans and Mazda enthusiasts...

Quote:
you're up against it.
So you say that despite appearances, the Mazda is a private car and may not be competitive?

The press release makes it sound like an official product of Mazda Motosports North America. The fine folks who do the MX5 one make series cars too.

Quote:
“The Mazda3 features the outstanding design and engineering that Mazda is known for, and because of that, it is a fantastic foundation for our new Mazda3 TCR,” said John Doonan, Director, Mazda Motorsports. “We have looked forward to returning to the IMSA Michelin Pilot Challenge for several seasons, and everyone at Mazda is very excited that we will do just that in 2020. We are eagerly anticipating success for the Mazda3 TCR in IMSA, SRO Americas and in TCR championships around the world.”
https://www.motor1.com/news/374117/2...-tcr-revealed/

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyobi View Post
Naturally, after all there is a new model Ford Focus now, in fact the new ST version is already released in Europe, albeit no RS version yet. So the Focus TCR would need to be based on that.

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 10 Oct 2019 at 19:57.
Old 12 Oct 2019, 09:48 (Ref:3933454)   #925
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting/weird that GRM had an Alfa TCR under a car cover in the Bathurst paddock today.