Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 23 May 2023, 08:01 (Ref:4157537)   #201
Pdh
Racer

Pdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottS View Post
It's those cameras that I was referring to as TOCA must have all the footage from every car from every practice, quali and race. I'm sure there are plenty of people like me that would happily cut the onboards together and make a compilation of top 10 on boards from the weekend for everyone to see (for free if cost was an issue) like the F1 does from the TOCA footage.

It's such a shame that the only footage we get to see is what the director cuts to on the day. The amount of great battles and overtakes that must get missed and never seen because the director can not show 2 things at once.

As an example, the Dam Cam quali incident is sat somewhere on a hard drive. But because it was recorded on one of TOCA's cameras, it will never see the light of day apart from some grainy footage from a BMW a distance away.
I forgot to say that the teams also have the footage so they can use it but I think under toca regulations it’s not allowed to be used in the public domain
Old 23 May 2023, 08:12 (Ref:4157538)   #202
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
It's those cameras that I was referring to as TOCA must have all the footage from every car from every practice, quali and race. I'm sure there are plenty of people like me that would happily cut the onboards together and make a compilation of top 10 on boards from the weekend for everyone to see (for free if cost was an issue) like the F1 does from the TOCA footage.

It's such a shame that the only footage we get to see is what the director cuts to on the day. The amount of great battles and overtakes that must get missed and never seen because the director can not show 2 things at once.

As an example, the Dam Cam quali incident is sat somewhere on a hard drive. But because it was recorded on one of TOCA's cameras, it will never see the light of day apart from some grainy footage from a BMW a distance away.
You are right - there are countless people who would gladly redistribute the footage. The issue is commercial matters.

To try and explain -
Imagine you are part of the ITV marketing team trying to sell advertising slots for your FTA broadcast. How do you justify the cost to the advertiser, if footage from the event is going to published elsewhere without your control over the quantity / quality of the broadcast?
Old 23 May 2023, 08:14 (Ref:4157539)   #203
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdh View Post
I forgot to say that the teams also have the footage so they can use it but I think under toca regulations it’s not allowed to be used in the public domain
Yes -
"All images, photographs, recordings or representations of the participation in the Championship or association with the Championship of manufacturers/constructors, competitors, entrants and teams may only be used for commercial purposes with the prior written consent of the Administrator. No consent is required for normal media reporting of the Championship.

All the broadcast, recording, cable, satellite, digital, video, internet and interactive rights and other rights in all media to the Championship and other related events are the sole property of TOCA in perpetuity. Any recording or broadcast of the Championship and other related events or, rebroadcast or reproduction of material without express written permission of the Administrator is strictly prohibited. Manufacturers/constructors, competitors, entrants and teams currently registered in the Championship may, subject to the prior written permission of the Administrator and subject to any conditions that he may impose at his/her absolute discretion, be granted rights to use broadcast material for their own specific promotional use throughout the world without image-rights fees or charges. Rights requested for any other commercial use must be made in writing to the Administrator and if granted will be subject to Licence which may include a fee or charge"
Old 23 May 2023, 08:16 (Ref:4157540)   #204
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I must admit that I am somewhat frustrated by a number seemingly demanding or hoping that the NAPA cars are hobbled in some ways; this seems to me that they believe that the rules should be created around the lowest common denominator rather than admiring excellence by any team in producing the most competitive car.
The difference between F1 and BTCC is that TOCA have never made any bones about the BTCC being an entertainment series first and foremost. It's not good for the majority of the TV audience to see domination.
Old 23 May 2023, 08:36 (Ref:4157542)   #205
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnoyedMoose View Post
It's not good for the majority of the TV audience to see domination.
This would be true if we were genuinely seeing a long period of dominance but we are far from that at the moment. The leading team has done marginally better than the rest of the field in less than a third of the season, and people want changes to be made?
Old 23 May 2023, 08:44 (Ref:4157543)   #206
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Is anyone gutted that ITV Sport don't clip together any of the on-board footage that they have in their possession? I'd love to see the pole lap from Sutton, some of the Cammish overtakes, the amazing car control from Dan Lloyd as he's sliding across the grass on full throttle and full opposite lock just to mention a few.

Hell, if they gave me access to the footage, I'd clip it together for free.
Sutton’s self-commentated pole lap went up on Twitter etc. on Sunday morning, they always do that at least!
Old 23 May 2023, 11:40 (Ref:4157550)   #207
DaviePHD
Rookie

DaviePHD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree; hobbling the NAPA cars would be a dick move, Sutton is the difference and it would be like punishing him just for being so damned good at what he does.

The history shows;

BMR Subaru - 2016 was average - 2017 Sutton joins and wins title - still wins races after TOCA hobbled the car.

Laser Infiniti - Sutton Joins -Wins Title in 2020 and 2021 - 2022 car is average to crap and is retired.

Ford Focus - Car campaigned since 2020 - 2022 Ash Sutton joins, 1st year in FWD car in a while finishes second in title - 2023 going very well so far - recovers from crap 1st meeting to lead series after Rd9 - teammates doing well but not quite as good.

If TOCA hobble the car to slow Sutton down then I wouldn't blame him if he chose to leave the series. And I reckon he'd kick ass wherever he ended up.
Old 23 May 2023, 14:13 (Ref:4157570)   #208
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lets just tie one of Sutton's arm's behind his back. Or he has to do a Le Mans style start
Old 23 May 2023, 14:40 (Ref:4157575)   #209
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Or maybe we could make Sutton go with a new team with an older car. I'm sure if he finds the right deal, he would stay in the series no matter what. Even if the car is not competitive.
Old 23 May 2023, 20:46 (Ref:4157647)   #210
Spanner monkey
Racer

England
Norwich
Spanner monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure Ash will be off after this season, His ex engineer is in Oz and his mechanic is also off to Oz for Supercars so i think if he wins this year he'll be off for a new challenge ;-)
Old 23 May 2023, 20:50 (Ref:4157648)   #211
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner monkey View Post
I'm sure Ash will be off after this season, His ex engineer is in Oz and his mechanic is also off to Oz for Supercars so i think if he wins this year he'll be off for a new challenge ;-)
He’s on a deal with NAPA for next year at least, as is Cammish. Although these multi-year deals tend to get broken more often than not!
Old 23 May 2023, 21:54 (Ref:4157656)   #212
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The multi-year deal doesn't seem to mean that much. However, Ash himself said he wants to stay in the BTCC for years. But well, this is not even a contractual obligation!
Old 24 May 2023, 08:12 (Ref:4157684)   #213
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Although these multi-year deals tend to get broken more often than not!
To be fair that's normally where the driver is bringing budget, which isn't the case here.
Old 24 May 2023, 10:07 (Ref:4157697)   #214
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It also depends on what the team does and also if a deal with a manufacturer comes to the end. If that happens, that can throw all sorts of things up in the air
Old 24 May 2023, 10:10 (Ref:4157698)   #215
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
It also depends on what the team does and also if a deal with a manufacturer comes to the end. If that happens, that can throw all sorts of things up in the air
No, it depends on the consideration and get outs in the contract.
Old 24 May 2023, 11:04 (Ref:4157711)   #216
coffinpilot
Racer

coffinpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It also depends on a personal situation.
If Ash's business is doing fine and he and his other half want to stay close to family with the baby, then perhaps that decision influences his racing career.
When he was ready for the switch to Oz last time he was in a very different place as a younger lad without commitments.

On another topic - are there still Friday shakedowns at some tracks this year?
Old 24 May 2023, 17:16 (Ref:4157777)   #217
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffinpilot View Post
On another topic - are there still Friday shakedowns at some tracks this year?
Heard somewhere it was “banned” or rather they’re just not doing it anymore, can’t remember who but from a driver interview over the weekend somewhere!
Old 25 May 2023, 05:14 (Ref:4157839)   #218
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Heard somewhere it was “banned” or rather they’re just not doing it anymore, can’t remember who but from a driver interview over the weekend somewhere!
It was only introduced in the first place to give teams a chance to shakedown if their regular shakedown venue was closed due to Covid.

That's a problem that's gone away, so the solution is also no longer needed.
Old 27 May 2023, 12:02 (Ref:4158177)   #219
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just watched race one on TV Sutton wins from Hill by 2/10ths both on the same tyres. Why are people getting excited by the Ford pace? The supposed best driver wins by 2/10ths - looks like BOP is pretty good to me
Old 29 May 2023, 20:31 (Ref:4158786)   #220
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffinpilot View Post
I'm sure I saw Matt Neal in Team Hard gear yesterday, sitting behind the paddock at a picnic table on a phone - same coloured gear as Barry Plowman - the other HARD 'teams' (Blue and Orange) were in awnings.
Anybody else see that, or was my £7.50 bacon sarnie laced with hallucinogenics?!!
Confirmed in Dan Lloyd's latest video as Matt Neal comes into shot: "we've got Matt helping us this weekend".
Old 29 May 2023, 21:23 (Ref:4158795)   #221
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
Confirmed in Dan Lloyd's latest video as Matt Neal comes into shot: "we've got Matt helping us this weekend".
Matt looked thrilled about it!
Old 30 May 2023, 11:25 (Ref:4158833)   #222
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
touringcarnut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Matt looked thrilled about it!
He's looking like he has the worries of the world right now. Hope all is well.
Old 31 May 2023, 17:51 (Ref:4159001)   #223
stuart thompson
Veteran

England
Northfleet, Kent
stuart thompson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner monkey View Post
We can only hope!
Old 31 May 2023, 18:05 (Ref:4159004)   #224
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart thompson View Post
We can only hope!
May I ask - why would you wish talent away from the series?

Or is it from the other side of the equation and you are hoping to see him in a series you follow more closely?