Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 15 Apr 2023, 16:53 (Ref:4151637)   #51
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Yeah he was all done up in racing leathers in the collection area, was interviewed and talking of how he had tested the bike and was looking forward to it. I saw the bike (an all red #66) go out on track but very soon he seemed to be having issues and looked as if he was going to stop. Just checked the qualy results and he was last with just 2 laps showing so guess he did stop. I didnt see him in the race.

He appeared to be having gear selection problems, I think. They obviously tried to fix whatever the problem was for the race, but I think he stopped when coming out of the collection area so didn't make the grid.
Old 15 Apr 2023, 16:55 (Ref:4151638)   #52
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
The Confex ad' did not prevent the Capri from going outside. Now up and running few hours after the crash, unbelievable!
Old 15 Apr 2023, 16:58 (Ref:4151639)   #53
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Seemed to have pole in the bag already, why he wanted to push that hard, I don't know....
Well the boys have been busy and it is in the collection area, albeit quite scarred and plenty of race tape.

Apparently it was caused by oil on the track. Anywway it starts from pole and about to go out on track now.
Old 15 Apr 2023, 17:02 (Ref:4151640)   #54
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Not that its been to Goodwood in the modern era but I can remember John Markey used to race a Lotus 30 in the early '70's backed by Pink Stamps, the 'other' trading stamps everyone used to collect. Green Shield were the more popular one. I last saw the car in maybe 1976 at John's Arian workshop, by which time it was in orange colour and very neglected. IIRC it went to the US soon after.

The problem that I have is that after I stopped racing myself in 1970, I only watched F1, and then only on the rare occasions that I was actually at home as I often used to spend up to 8 or 9 months away on business. Apart from that, I used to take my boys to Bovingdon near Hemel Hempstead to watch stock car racing.

Therefore, if I didn't see these cars in period, I probably may not have seen them before.
Old 15 Apr 2023, 17:24 (Ref:4151641)   #55
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
OOOps, Peter's Rover… Pweh!
Old 15 Apr 2023, 17:53 (Ref:4151642)   #56
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Not really fast but nice Savanna. Still waiting for the FIA checking the camshaft tho…
Old 15 Apr 2023, 18:09 (Ref:4151645)   #57
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excuse my ignorance please but:
1. Anyone know why the RX7 and Fiesta had their qualifying times disallowed “for eligibility reasons”?
2. Are the “Gordon Spice cars” to Gp 1 spec, BSCC Gp 1.5 spec, or something else?
Hopefully neither of those questions open too big a can of worms!
Old 15 Apr 2023, 18:24 (Ref:4151646)   #58
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
It is peculiar that they had "eligibility" problems, yet they were then permitted to race (from the back of the grid) and were classified 7th and 13th in the race. Doesn't really make much sense!
Old 15 Apr 2023, 18:38 (Ref:4151647)   #59
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356sc View Post
Clearly not!!
It depends which end it is

Honestly amazed the cortinas are not under 1:30, what the bloody hell have they been doing all winter?
Old 15 Apr 2023, 18:50 (Ref:4151648)   #60
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Eligibility aside, and I didn’t see the Heat 1 race, I thought that Heat 2 was a fantastic race, why would anyone watch F1!
Old 15 Apr 2023, 19:00 (Ref:4151651)   #61
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
JR see that?
Thanks for the offer of a cuppa Iain, by the time I managed to get parked up and walk in the paddock areas were absolutely rammed so I grabbed at ractor ride out to St Mary's.
As always some beautiful cars out racing, the Gurney cup race was superb with a deserved podium place for Andrew Kircaldy/Stuart Hall in a superbly driven B8. Back tomorrow if I can find some energy and my specs As an official old fart I'm starting to find the walking and long days a bit of an ordeal, the outer reaches of the circuit seem to have had a number of facilities reduced, specifically no toilets at St Marys, no grandstand at Fordwater and trying to get a return tractor ride from out in the boondocks is impossible.

Last edited by justracing; 15 Apr 2023 at 19:06.
Old 15 Apr 2023, 19:09 (Ref:4151654)   #62
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Eligibility aside, and I didn’t see the Heat 1 race, I thought that Heat 2 was a fantastic race, why would anyone watch F1!
Heat 1 was a real blast, incredible car control from the top 3, Rob Huff in particular
Old 15 Apr 2023, 19:16 (Ref:4151655)   #63
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Excuse my ignorance please but:
1. Anyone know why the RX7 and Fiesta had their qualifying times disallowed “for eligibility reasons”?
2. Are the “Gordon Spice cars” to Gp 1 spec, BSCC Gp 1.5 spec, or something else?
I'd say Grp 1,5 plus Goodwood style. The leading Capri must have more than 300 bhp under the bonnet and a screamer engine capable of 8K rpms, something the main bearings and cranl caps cant stand for long. As to the Savanna, they must be looking for rocker rollers…

Last edited by Gerard C; 15 Apr 2023 at 19:23.
Old 15 Apr 2023, 19:22 (Ref:4151656)   #64
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
A number of facilities reduced, specifically no toilets at St Marys, no grandstand at Fordwater
My I respectfully suggest that if you drink this Ford water its useless to hell a tractor and go to St Marys to make pee…
Old 15 Apr 2023, 19:42 (Ref:4151657)   #65
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Quote:
My I respectfully suggest that if you drink this Ford water its useless to hell a tractor and go to St Marys to make pee…
And no tea/coffee station either!
Old 15 Apr 2023, 19:49 (Ref:4151659)   #66
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
And no tea/coffee station either!
Why looking for tea if you cant make pee, I wonder! Just hope the grass is green and the cows well fed…

Andy, after looking deeply in my memory, which does not take long, may be they made a mix between the two versions of the SA22C, homologated with discs/drums and not discs all round and a 2B engine instead of the 2A. Re the Fiesta they probably have the souvenir that it was faster than some V8 Rovers and are "washing the dishes" as they say in Sussex! All in all a unique and fantastic show IMO.
Old 16 Apr 2023, 07:49 (Ref:4151696)   #67
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
The Capri driver, after well deserved pole and victory, is complaining about the lack of power of the engine… May be the team was too busy with the huge body repairs to adjust the ignition tilming. Who knows?
Old 16 Apr 2023, 08:00 (Ref:4151697)   #68
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Iain, how is your weekend?
Old 16 Apr 2023, 09:27 (Ref:4151700)   #69
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Well the boys have been busy and it is in the collection area, albeit quite scarred and plenty of race tape.

Apparently it was caused by oil on the track. Anywway it starts from pole and about to go out on track now.
Not entirely sure I buy that......

I really enjoyed the coverage though.
Old 16 Apr 2023, 10:18 (Ref:4151704)   #70
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
C'on, please (wonder worker?)…

We had a rider here pretending each time he went down that it was to avoid a collision with a yellow dog crossing the track. Hence his nickname, Yellow Dog! What about Oily Jake then? I enjoy thoroughly the show too.
Old 16 Apr 2023, 10:30 (Ref:4151706)   #71
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
EB, guess you too noticed that several left doors (LTinas) cant be fully closed. Do you think they came from a special stock for France?
Old 16 Apr 2023, 10:42 (Ref:4151708)   #72
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
EB, guess you too noticed that several left doors (LTinas) cant be fully closed. Do you think they came from a special stock for France?
Fitting 'after market' or replica doors?

You would think replica doors would fit replica cars though.

Maybe they are Australian doors and are upside down..... oh wait, the Lotus Cortina was never sold new in Australia. We made the GT500 Homologation "Bathurst twin tank" pushrod Cortina locally instead.
Didnt stop us having more logbooked Lotus Cortinas racing now than were ever imported.

Last edited by E.B; 16 Apr 2023 at 10:56.
Old 16 Apr 2023, 11:02 (Ref:4151716)   #73
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:

Im just the messenger not judge of fact.
But there is a reason I used the word 'apparently'

Yep enjoying the coverage down here as well..... as I sit here after dinner with a glass of wine.
Old 16 Apr 2023, 11:17 (Ref:4151724)   #74
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:

He is certainly an "entertaining" driver from the BTCC, but I have often felt during those races that he, and one, two or more of the drivers from the BTCC programme, tend to spend a lot of their time over-driving their cars.

IMHO, that was a case yesterday and as has been said, he already had pole in the bag and in a one lap dash, that driving on coldish tyres was not really necessary.

I'm a little confused by some of the commentary and punditry. For example, yesterday the Bentley No. 7 Le Mans car was said by Tom Christiansen to actually be the second placed car (No 8) but today the commentators stating that it is the winning No.7.
Old 16 Apr 2023, 11:48 (Ref:4151736)   #75
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post

I'm a little confused by some of the commentary and punditry. For example, yesterday the Bentley No. 7 Le Mans car was said by Tom Christiansen to actually be the second placed car (No 8) but today the commentators stating that it is the winning No.7.
They certainly seem to be mixing up the commentary team this year. I wonder why they don’t use Marcus Pye these days, I don’t think he covered the Goodwood races last year either, did he?