Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 27 Apr 2023, 10:31 (Ref:4153158)   #1
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
VSCC, Spring Start, 22 April, 2023

I thought we had a thread on this but can't find it so maybe senility setting in. Did anyone go to this?

Surprisingly the weather held up and it seemed to be better attended than in recent years. The grids seemed more than adequate and there were some lovely cars out.

Our joint Hawthorn International/Tom Cole Trophy race had a 30 car entry with 27 starters, which I was quite pleased about.

I will get around to posting some pics ..... if I remember, that is!!
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 29 Apr 2023, 10:23 (Ref:4153471)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Clearly I was the only one there! So herewith a few pics that I managed to get of Race 7 which was the GP Itala Trophy Allcomers & Vintage Scratch Race:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3816 (2).JPG   IMG_3818 (2).JPG   IMG_3829 (2).JPG  

IMG_3862 (2).JPG   IMG_3893 (2).JPG   IMG_3909 (2).JPG  

"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 29 Apr 2023, 10:45 (Ref:4153479)   #3
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
And a few more from the same race:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3800 (2).JPG   IMG_3801 (2).JPG   IMG_3802 (2).JPG  

IMG_3819 (2).JPG   IMG_3826 (2).JPG   IMG_3885 (2).JPG  

Old 29 Apr 2023, 11:02 (Ref:4153487)   #4
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 6 - CMMC Scratch Race. Shutter speed a bit too slow so these were the only ones that survived my cull:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3675 (2).JPG   IMG_3720 (2).JPG   IMG_3732 (2).JPG  

IMG_3739 (2).JPG   IMG_3747 (2).JPG   IMG_3762 (2).JPG  

Old 29 Apr 2023, 13:37 (Ref:4153540)   #5
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for posting the photos John. It must be about five years since I last went to Spring Start, I must make a point of going again. Nice shots.
Old 29 Apr 2023, 13:43 (Ref:4153545)   #6
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Deleted - duplicate post

Last edited by John Turner; 30 Apr 2023 at 13:24.
Old 30 Apr 2023, 13:20 (Ref:4153799)   #7
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Thanks, Gary.

Race 8 - VSCC Hawthorn International Trophy and FISCAR Tom Cole Trophy:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4004 (2).JPG   IMG_4012 (2).JPG   IMG_4022 (2).JPG  

IMG_4071 (2).JPG   IMG_4083 (2).JPG   IMG_4091 (2).JPG  

Old 30 Apr 2023, 13:23 (Ref:4153800)   #8
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Last lot:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4094 (2).JPG   IMG_4119 (2).JPG   IMG_4204 (2).JPG  

IMG_4213 (2).JPG   IMG_4245 (2).JPG   IMG_4250 (2).JPG  

Old 30 Apr 2023, 19:56 (Ref:4153904)   #9
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Last lot:-
Really sorry I missed this. It seems to have been a splendid day. The VSCC was my introduction to historics but they rather dropped under my radar when they seemed to lose their way a few years ago. And TSL acts as a diary for me and they don’t use that so it’s easy to overlook their dates. My error. Intrigued by the Alfetta in the GP race. Do you know its history? Must have been a great sight.
Old 1 May 2023, 05:47 (Ref:4153956)   #10
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You were not alone, John. Gallery of photos from my first VSCC Spring Start meeting, but probably not my last; throughly enjoyable even given the constraints of Silverstone for spectator snappers.https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjAAMZv
Old 1 May 2023, 08:22 (Ref:4153970)   #11
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Crow View Post
Really sorry I missed this. It seems to have been a splendid day. The VSCC was my introduction to historics but they rather dropped under my radar when they seemed to lose their way a few years ago. And TSL acts as a diary for me and they don’t use that so it’s easy to overlook their dates. My error. Intrigued by the Alfetta in the GP race. Do you know its history? Must have been a great sight.
That is the Jim Stokes Workshops Ltd Alfa Romeo 158 recreation, built using 70% of original parts rescued from an Alfa Romeo factory clear out. It was originally owned by the late Peter Giddings and is now owned and driven by Peter Greenfield, who raced it at Silverstone and also in the Festival Of Britain Trophy at the Goodwood Revival in 2021.
Old 1 May 2023, 22:01 (Ref:4154078)   #12
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCCheddaris View Post
That is the Jim Stokes Workshops Ltd Alfa Romeo 158 recreation, built using 70% of original parts rescued from an Alfa Romeo factory clear out. It was originally owned by the late Peter Giddings and is now owned and driven by Peter Greenfield, who raced it at Silverstone and also in the Festival Of Britain Trophy at the Goodwood Revival in 2021.
Thanks. Hope I can get to see it one day..if I remember to put VSCC events on the calendar
Old 10 May 2023, 07:49 (Ref:4155343)   #13
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh43scale View Post
You were not alone, John. Gallery of photos from my first VSCC Spring Start meeting, but probably not my last; throughly enjoyable even given the constraints of Silverstone for spectator snappers.https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjAAMZv
Many thanks. Had a good browse and shows me what I missed! Particularly love the head on shot of Chris Mann in the Alfa Spyder - first time he has raced it with us. He normally runs the Disco Volante which is currently getting some TLC.

The 158 recreation looked and sounded superb.