Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 22 Aug 2023, 09:36 (Ref:4173613)   #1
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Contemporary Crossflow builders

I wasn’t sure where to post this so apologies if it’s in the wrong place.

This might be a bit of a niche interest but I’m trying to build a complete list of Crossflow engine tuners, in particular ones who had their own rocker covers, a bit like this but for Crossflows - https://mk1-performance-conversions....er_covers.html

If you’ve got any pictures of crossflow engines in situ with a non standard rocker cover, I’d appreciate seeing them.
Old 22 Aug 2023, 14:17 (Ref:4173637)   #2
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Marriott View Post
I wasn’t sure where to post this so apologies if it’s in the wrong place.

This might be a bit of a niche interest but I’m trying to build a complete list of Crossflow engine tuners, in particular ones who had their own rocker covers, a bit like this but for Crossflows - https://mk1-performance-conversions....er_covers.html

If you’ve got any pictures of crossflow engines in situ with a non standard rocker cover, I’d appreciate seeing them.
Hi Robin. I've no pictures unfortunately, but from memory I'm sure the crossflow & pre-crossflow rocker covers were the same?
If so, hopefully someone will have a picture of a Cosworth rocker cover. (I wonder how many people were sold a Cortina GT with a claimed Cosworth engine which in reality only had the rocker cover fitted?)
Old 22 Aug 2023, 15:11 (Ref:4173646)   #3
Robin Marriott
Veteran

I think you’re right in pre-crossflow and crossflow ones, they certainly look the same.

Regarding the Cosworth one, there appears to be 2 types of those, I have pictures and will post them here later for prosperity, along with some others I’ve found.

What’s interesting to me is the fact that they exist at all, there’s no need for any of the tuners to have bothered making them.
Old 22 Aug 2023, 18:06 (Ref:4173674)   #4
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Now I'm home I can post some pictures of what I've found so far -
Attached Thumbnails
COSWORTH1.jpg   COSWORTH2.jpg   SCHOLAR.jpg  

3Rockers.jpg   ALEXIS.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 22 Aug 2023, 18:09 (Ref:4173675)   #5
Robin Marriott
Veteran

The Burton one I think is modern rather than period
Attached Thumbnails
BRM1.jpg   1700.jpeg   CONNAUGHT.jpg  

CT.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 22 Aug 2023, 18:11 (Ref:4173676)   #6
Robin Marriott
Veteran

I particularly like the Ginetta and Elfin ones, they've got some good fonts going on
Attached Thumbnails
HOLBAY1.jpg   HOLBAY2.jpeg   ELFIN.jpg  

GINETTA.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 22 Aug 2023, 18:12 (Ref:4173677)   #7
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Not sure if the Lotus one is period, it doesn't seem right.
Attached Thumbnails
LOTUS1.jpg   LUCAS.jpg   MARCOS.jpg  

MINISTER.jpg   MORGAN.JPG  
Attached Images

Old 22 Aug 2023, 18:15 (Ref:4173678)   #8
Robin Marriott
Veteran

The Ford Racing one confuses me a bit, I can't see why an official Ford product would exist with that logo on for this engine, They didn't start using that logo until the 2000s and I can't see an application at the time for the crossflow/valencia in Ford backed motorsport.
Attached Thumbnails
FORDRACING.jpg   MOTOPLUS.jpg   NOVAMOTOR.jpg  

OSELLI.jpg   PIPER.jpg   PMEO.jpg  

Old 22 Aug 2023, 18:17 (Ref:4173679)   #9
Robin Marriott
Veteran

There's quite a few Lotus/Caterham ones which are all variation of the same.
Attached Thumbnails
RALLYTUNE.jpeg   SUPER7SPRINT.jpg   SUPERSEVEN.jpg  

TECNO.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 22 Aug 2023, 18:18 (Ref:4173680)   #10
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Final 4. The Ford lettered one is in a TVR, one of the few cars which used the engine but didn't disguise it with another rocker cover.
Attached Thumbnails
TVRFORD.jpg   VULCAN2.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 22 Aug 2023, 18:19 (Ref:4173681)   #11
Robin Marriott
Veteran

And that's it so far. I've heard rumours of one with ROWLANDS or ROWLAND on but can't find a picture and I think there's a Vegantune one but can only find images of the twin cam heads they made for the Kent blocks.
Old 22 Aug 2023, 19:10 (Ref:4173693)   #12
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Found the Rowland one and several others while I was looking!
Attached Thumbnails
ROWLAND.jpg   BROADSPEED.jpg   GRIFFITHS.jpeg  

SPECO.jpg   SUPERSPEED.jpg  
Old 22 Aug 2023, 19:32 (Ref:4173698)   #13
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Purely a guess, but could the oval Ford one be from a Formula Ford engine that may have been prepared by Boreham or possibly just created for an entry by a Ford dealership.
Old 22 Aug 2023, 20:09 (Ref:4173702)   #14
Robin Marriott
Veteran

It’s a good question Mike and I’m not sure on the answer. I think by the time Ford Racing existed the cars were running 1.8 Zetec engines but them my ex boss raced a Spectrum 011 which I think was a 2008 or 2009 car with a crossflow. With that in mind you might be correct.
Old 23 Aug 2023, 01:46 (Ref:4173713)   #15
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
GreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lol'd at the 'Lucas' one.
Old 23 Aug 2023, 07:59 (Ref:4173730)   #16
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think that the Superspeed one is on a pre-crossflow, not that that makes much difference.
Old 23 Aug 2023, 08:17 (Ref:4173731)   #17
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I think that the Superspeed one is on a pre-crossflow, not that that makes much difference.
Glad im not the only one that thought that.... I wasnt confident enough to point it out though, and went down the doesnt make much difference route.

I must confess that with the pics it has sparked a bit of a nostalgia trip of "I had one of them on engine x or y" or equally 'so and so' who I might have competed against had others.

Throwback to Happy Days
Old 23 Aug 2023, 08:43 (Ref:4173732)   #18
Robin Marriott
Veteran

It’s definitely pre-crossflow but it was the only picture I’ve found and I’m counting it!

I found 7 more last night, here’s 6 of them, the first one is MASS, it’s not too clear unless you zoom in. I think the Throbnozzle one is very recent despite having an older look.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8108.jpeg   IMG_8110.jpeg   IMG_8112.jpeg  

IMG_8114.jpeg   IMG_8115.jpeg  
Attached Images

Old 23 Aug 2023, 08:51 (Ref:4173733)   #19
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Again, apologies for some of them being pre-crossflow but as you can imagine they’re not always easy to find pictures of so needs must.
Old 23 Aug 2023, 10:21 (Ref:4173737)   #20
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Again, apologies for some of them being pre-crossflow but as you can imagine they’re not always easy to find pictures of so needs must.

To be accurate, in the latest batch, most of them are not crossflow.

As for the Throbnozzle version, if it is newish, it has not fared very well.
Old 24 Aug 2023, 08:12 (Ref:4173805)   #21
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Almost certain this is one too but I can’t find any info. Looks like a 2 piece design like the Piper one, probably with built in rockers.

Honestly can’t believe I keep finding them.
Attached Thumbnails
martin.jpeg  
Old 24 Aug 2023, 08:41 (Ref:4173808)   #22
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Robin, this latest one is very obviously also pre-crossflow; the fact that you can see the carbs and the exhaust manifold on top of each other rather gives it away.
Old 24 Aug 2023, 08:45 (Ref:4173811)   #23
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Yeah I should probably change the title at this point!
Old 25 Aug 2023, 07:39 (Ref:4173878)   #24
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I think the Throbnozzle one is very recent despite having an older look.
Hi, Robin. If i'm correct, the one you named above is from a regular poster on here, Zefarelli. A french good mate just bought parts from John Wilcox. Could this help you? http://www.wilcoxengines.co.uk/xflow.htm
Old 25 Aug 2023, 08:29 (Ref:4173888)   #25
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Hi, Robin. If i'm correct, the one you named above is from a regular poster on here, Zefarelli. A french good mate just bought parts from John Wilcox. Could this help you? http://www.wilcoxengines.co.uk/xflow.htm

Blooming heck, Gérard, Joe's racing services went straight over my head; of course it's him.

And here's another one of his pre-crossflow rocker cover:

Click image for larger version

Name:	engine_bay_carbs.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	329.4 KB
ID:	77837