Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 10 May 2023, 10:42 (Ref:4155364)   #26
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Unfortunately low numbers are nothing new for Cadwell, back in the late 80s and the 90s I can remember racing there when most of the races were amalgamated to bolster the grids !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 10 May 2023, 12:52 (Ref:4155381)   #27
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Barry View Post
David Purley (Chevron B30), Alan Jones, Tom Walkinshaw and Val Musetti (Marches of varying '75 vintage) all ran them but not Ian.
I think the first GA engined Formula 5000 was Tom Walkinshaw's Modus in 1974.
Old 10 May 2023, 12:54 (Ref:4155382)   #28
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's an interesting topic all on its own really. I assume it gave less power than the Chevy V8, but was significantly lighter so a better balanced car.
Old 11 May 2023, 09:25 (Ref:4155516)   #29
Tim Barry
Racer

United Kingdom
Rainham, Kent, UK
Tim Barry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
It's an interesting topic all on its own really. I assume it gave less power than the Chevy V8, but was significantly lighter so a better balanced car.
A good GA was giving about 465bhp back in the day as opposed to our Chevrolet of (as the engine builders used to say!) about 500bhp! But the GA was still an iron block so still heavy but lighter than the Chev.
Old 11 May 2023, 10:21 (Ref:4155517)   #30
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
And it also sounded more like a Ferrari than most Ferraris did ...
Old 11 May 2023, 10:38 (Ref:4155521)   #31
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It'll come as no surprise that the GA is possibly my favourite engine of all time.
Old 11 May 2023, 16:25 (Ref:4155577)   #32
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A little bit about Cadwells history .
I believe it was first used as a racing circuit well before WW11 , which makes it one of the UKs oldest circuits as most of them in use now were built on old WW11 airfields .

In the 70s I won the championship of Cadwell one year . I think it was from points scored over a number of races . But I was given a large silver cup which I then kept for a year . [ Can,t imagine that happening now ,] But the jewellers who engraved it said it was very old and worth £ thousands .
I wonder what happened to that trophy as Cadwell was bought out in the 80s by another company .

There have been minor circuit changes since then but it is still very narrow with not much run/off space in some places , but still one of the most demanding / rewarding circuits to race on .
Old 11 May 2023, 17:14 (Ref:4155582)   #33
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
It'll come as no surprise that the GA is possibly my favourite engine of all time.
The sound of a GA is one of the best sounds an engine can make IMO
Old 11 May 2023, 17:31 (Ref:4155587)   #34
Tim Barry
Racer

United Kingdom
Rainham, Kent, UK
Tim Barry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
The sound of a GA is one of the best sounds an engine can make IMO
That’s something I can surely agree with!!
Old 11 May 2023, 18:26 (Ref:4155600)   #35
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
My mate Mike Whatley made the papers back in the 70’s . He tripped overs car at Barn and ended up in the trees .