Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 13 Jul 2007, 09:43 (Ref:1962236)   #1
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Porto, 13-15 July, 2007

Well, we seem to have established that not many 10-Tenthers are going to Chimay. Are any going to Porto? If so, any chance of a report back, please?
Old 13 Jul 2007, 09:57 (Ref:1962246)   #2
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Went last time with two cars.The circuit was a car breaker so left them on trailer.Hotel and booze very good!They say its improved for this weeks meeting.
Old 13 Jul 2007, 10:06 (Ref:1962251)   #3
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Rob Wells told me it was like the Targa Florio - racing through a village with the locals outside their houses cheering them on. Very very narrow he said.
Old 13 Jul 2007, 10:16 (Ref:1962259)   #4
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The WTCC was there last weekend and according to Autosport there wasn't too much damage and the drivers actually enjoyed it. A side piece concerning the state of the track and its narrowness accompanied by a picture of James Thompson negotiating it in his Alfa, suggests that it will be a very interesting circuit from the Historics point of view, although as John implies, they have been there before!
Old 16 Jul 2007, 14:45 (Ref:1964483)   #5
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just got back from Porto. A very enjoyable meeting to do, with a refreshing "can do" attitude from the organisers - in fact, an attitude we experienced away from the circuit as well.

The weather was perfect for Friday and Saturday, but Sunday morning produced torrential rain. The Juniors, unfortunately, got the worst of it, resulting in a number of bent cars. Apart from that, there were some other damaged cars, but no worse than I've seen at Pau, for example.

Running the meeting the weekend after the big WTCC event meant that there were big screens on which to watch the action, and most importantly, the paddock toilets were a huge improvement over last time. It was a shame for the organisers that Sunday's rain had a big effect on spectator figures.

One of Porto's problems is that the predominantly British entry are faced with a very long journey each way. Trucks taking the Portsmouth/Bilbao route can't get on to a ferry until Wednesday, making it a nine day round trip. It's hard to fit that into a busy season.

However, the event deserves to succeed, and the Portuguese food and ambiance make the trip very worthwhile!
Old 16 Jul 2007, 18:03 (Ref:1964968)   #6
HFJ Drifter
Rookie

United Kingdom
New Forest
HFJ Drifter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has anybody found any online results for Porto yet and does anybody know which Juniors got bent?
Old 17 Jul 2007, 06:36 (Ref:1965356)   #7
Alan Morgan
Veteran

A red Italian Lotus (22?) had a rear corner taken off. It bounced back into the Lotus that Michael Lyons was driving (John Monson's car), and John Truslove's Brabham got tangled as well, and couldn't continue.

John Chisholm understeered the Gemini Mk2 that he was racing for the first time into the tyre wall and crushed the nose, and bent the front suspension and chassis. James Hicks suffered minor bodywork damage when he came across the Gemini blocking the road, but continued, as did another car. Also, Ian Robinson backed his Lola into the barriers in practice, necessitating some frame straightening, and Tony Goodwin spun and was unable to continue. There may have been others as well that I am not aware of.

Simon Walford won in very impressive style, lapping the entire field. Second was (sorry, my mind's gone completely blank) in Stuart Rolt's Elva 200, with Duncan Rabagliati a delighted, and very popular third.
Old 17 Jul 2007, 06:50 (Ref:1965365)   #8
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Is this Martin Walfords new name with his old car second man must be a superstar.Bet there's not much booze left in Porto
Old 17 Jul 2007, 06:57 (Ref:1965368)   #9
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I heard Joe Twyman's Lotus XI was hit by a Healey as well.
Old 17 Jul 2007, 07:50 (Ref:1965403)   #10
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Sorry, Martin Walford - the beer is taking some time to leave the system! Second was Mark Linstone.
Old 17 Jul 2007, 08:00 (Ref:1965410)   #11
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

The two Team Walford cars-You have done well if you are over a Walford induced Hangover after that result
Old 20 Jul 2007, 12:42 (Ref:1968328)   #12
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Porto Historic GP, 13-15 July (threads merged)

In spite of earlier plans we did not go to Porto, but we found more than worthy replacements from the city itself who have provided us with the following report and sometimes amazing pictures.

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame...em.php&rid=150

is there anybody who can identify the driver next to Marcus Pye? It is a real Stirling Moss lookalike, but not the real thing
Old 20 Jul 2007, 18:43 (Ref:1968552)   #13
JRTM
Rookie

Ireland
Orlando, FL
JRTM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFJ Drifter
Has anybody found any online results for Porto yet and does anybody know which Juniors got bent?
Sadly i can confirm that my Orange Lotus 20B was bent. Mick Lyons was driving it for the first time and performed wonderfully to place the car beside Martin Walford after qualifying. sadly a lapped backmarker put an end to the excitement but I am told by one and all that Mick was a helpless innocent in the incident. Ho Hum!
Old 20 Jul 2007, 19:49 (Ref:1968590)   #14
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Quite right, John. The accident was displayed for all to see on the big screens - young Michael was merely a victim in somebody elses accident.
Old 21 Jul 2007, 07:17 (Ref:1968865)   #15
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Nice one, Henk. Although I don't know him, even by sight, I'm guessing that maybe Gabriel Kremer who shared his Morgan +4 with Marcus. I don't think he looks that much like Sir Stirling, though!
Old 23 Jul 2007, 06:59 (Ref:1970848)   #16
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I read in Autosport that Jim Woodley was taken ill in a race - does anyone know if he is ok?
Also If I understand the results correctly Marcus Pye had a great result given he hadnt sat in that Elva before...
Old 24 Jul 2007, 21:17 (Ref:1972522)   #17
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Jim Woodley has recovered well, and is expecting to be out racing again soon. What was quite a distressing incident turned out to be little more than heat exhaustion and dehydration. Since returning to the UK last Tuesday, he's been exercising at the gym and is a little bemused by the fuss he's caused.
Old 25 Jul 2007, 06:36 (Ref:1972739)   #18
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
execising in the gym... are we talking aboiut the same man?!! When you see him next send my best and pleased to hear it was a storm in a teacup
Old 25 Jul 2007, 21:41 (Ref:1973440)   #19
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Surprisingly..... we are!

I suspect the influence of Jackie in the gym incident!

I know that Assen is on the agenda (who needs Goodwood?), and I would think he plans to do the Gold Cup meeting.
Old 28 Jul 2007, 08:43 (Ref:1975181)   #20
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a quick post to say there was some footage shown on local tv (RPM) today featuring mainly the winning McLaren M26 and also some sportscar footage. Looked good
Old 28 Jul 2007, 08:55 (Ref:1975192)   #21
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
deleted, duplicate post

Last edited by zefarelly; 30 Jul 2007 at 20:32.