Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Aug 2018, 17:20 (Ref:3845428)   #1376
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Norris will shine. He has always been very impressive during previous official testing sessions. It’s a pity there isn’t more competitive cars at the front. I would love to see the likes of Norris,Vandoorne and George Russell in F1 and all in winning cars.
Old 22 Aug 2018, 21:32 (Ref:3845463)   #1377
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yes, George Russell hasn’t been built up as much as Norris, but I think he deserves a shot in F1
Old 22 Aug 2018, 21:38 (Ref:3845466)   #1378
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I think Russell’s reputation is pulling level with the Norris hype. As GR himself recognises, Leclerc’s success at Sauber has been great for a Formula 2 as a championship. Would be good to see Norris, Russell and Albon all get promoted next year - McLaren, Force India and Toro Rosso, maybe?
Old 24 Aug 2018, 10:57 (Ref:3845733)   #1379
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Norris makes his debut in F1 for McLaren during PF1 at Spa, finished 18th. Two spots ahead of the regular driver Vandoorne. Who was in the brand new chassis he asked for, and raced in last round.

The fact that McLaren has confirmed Sainz, and has not yet confirmed Vandoorne as the other driver is telling. Sorry, but IMO Vandoorne has to make way for someone else ASAP. The hype train he came to F1 in was overcrowded at the time, but currently has just the one passenger. Vandoorne himself.

Old 24 Aug 2018, 12:01 (Ref:3845745)   #1380
Dixon9
Rookie

Dixon9 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDixon9 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think that says more about toxic internet f1 facebook fan hype trains than it does about vandoorne, especially in a series where your car largely determines your result.

it'll take more than 18th in a practice session to convince me norris is the annointed and vandoorne has been secretly terrible all along
Old 24 Aug 2018, 12:14 (Ref:3845754)   #1381
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I don’t think Vandoorne is terrible and have certainly never said so. What I do think is that his performances in Formula 1, especially when compared to his achievements in the junior formulae, have been disappointing, and if he really was the Next Best Thing he’d be running Alonso a lot closer. It doesn’t make him a *bad* driver that he’s not, simply not a great one, actually or potentially.
Old 24 Aug 2018, 12:22 (Ref:3845757)   #1382
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Norris makes his debut in F1 for McLaren during PF1 at Spa, finished 18th. Two spots ahead of the regular driver Vandoorne. Who was in the brand new chassis he asked for, and raced in last round.
You forgot to mention that Norris did twice the amount of laps as Vandoorne as the team had to remove the floor of his car to investigate a leak.
Old 24 Aug 2018, 12:23 (Ref:3845759)   #1383
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Please tell me you are not seriously making a judgment on the ability of two drivers based on a single Free Practice session?

I can understand criticism of someone who puts it in the wall, or makes a significant error - but otherwise, how can anyone outside of the team seriously know what times each driver was even trying to achieve?
Old 24 Aug 2018, 12:36 (Ref:3845767)   #1384
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Please tell me you are not seriously making a judgment on the ability of two drivers based on a single Free Practice session?

I can understand criticism of someone who puts it in the wall, or makes a significant error - but otherwise, how can anyone outside of the team seriously know what times each driver was even trying to achieve?
Still a good effort from Mr Norris though
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 24 Aug 2018, 12:56 (Ref:3845771)   #1385
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Quote:
Originally Posted by cds_uk View Post
You forgot to mention that Norris did twice the amount of laps as Vandoorne...
Ahh.. yes, sorry I did forget to mention that. Apologise.

I also forgot to mention Vandoorne has done exactly 99 more free practice sessions during a F1 weekend to Norris' 1 single free practice session. And also forgot to mention Vandoorne has done a few (just a few ) laps more than Norris in an Formula 1 car. But hey.. it shouldn't really count. It's just a free practice session after all. Right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
It sure was. But it was only one single practice session.

Old 24 Aug 2018, 12:58 (Ref:3845774)   #1386
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Agreed - the session shows promise for Norris, but hardly gave any weight to the SVD bashing?
Old 24 Aug 2018, 14:46 (Ref:3845791)   #1387
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not that sure it needs any more weight though, does it?
Old 24 Aug 2018, 14:50 (Ref:3845794)   #1388
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
didnt see it but from what is said here Norris was driving Alonso's car?

any info on fast laps, which tires, types of runs etc?

if you want to compare two drivers do you want them out on track at the same time or have them run in the same car during different sessions?
Old 25 Aug 2018, 11:16 (Ref:3845959)   #1389
Dixon9
Rookie

Dixon9 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDixon9 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
awkward time for stoffel to put it in the wall
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post

but exactly. it's the worst kind of facebook f1 fandom
Old 25 Aug 2018, 21:06 (Ref:3846050)   #1390
Hammerdown
Racer

United Kingdom
Clevedon, UK
Hammerdown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure I understand why McLaren are so bad at the moment and just seem to be getting worse each race. They don’t appear to be developing the car. Have they not got any money left? Have they sacked everyone?
Old 25 Aug 2018, 22:18 (Ref:3846054)   #1391
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerdown View Post
Not sure I understand why McLaren are so bad at the moment and just seem to be getting worse each race. They don’t appear to be developing the car. Have they not got any money left? Have they sacked everyone?
What else do they have left to blame? Seems like Honda, wind tunnel correlation, management have all been blamed so far. Maybe Pirelli is next. Or the rain, or the macadam?
Old 26 Aug 2018, 22:56 (Ref:3846422)   #1392
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Nononsensecapeesh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a way to celebrate the half-centenary of your 1st win, one driver announcing his retirement then getting catapulted over the top of Leclerc (Thus vindicating the introduction of the halo), the other starting and finishing last in his home GP.
Old 26 Aug 2018, 23:01 (Ref:3846425)   #1393
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This has only one sollution:
New McLaren lineup:

Driver #1 Esteban Ocon
Driver #2 Lando Norris (at least, there are his first races,
next year you could prepare him as the leader...).

Send Fernando directly to Virtual Racing.
Call Marcelo Battistuzzi urgently.
Old 3 Sep 2018, 11:35 (Ref:3847870)   #1394
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Am I correct in saying that - in the last nine years, nine drivers have been in and/or out of McLaren?

That is not a very stable environment to built a championship team.

And with two young guns (one of them a rookie), I think they will lack the knowledge to get the cars heading in the right direction. So more pain for McLaren fans yet.

Old 3 Sep 2018, 11:52 (Ref:3847875)   #1395
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Am I correct in saying that - in the last nine years, nine drivers have been in and/or out of McLaren?

That is not a very stable environment to built a championship team.

And with two young guns (one of them a rookie), I think they will lack the knowledge to get the cars heading in the right direction. So more pain for McLaren fans yet.

Lewis Hamilton

Heikki Kovalainen

Jenson Button

Sergio Perez

Kevin Magnussen

Fernando Alonso x2

Stoffel Vandoorne
Old 3 Sep 2018, 12:02 (Ref:3847883)   #1396
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Thanks BJS. I was including the newest recruits (Sainz and Norris) in that list too. Does that count?

Old 3 Sep 2018, 12:15 (Ref:3847884)   #1397
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
The last time McLaren had two new drivers was in 2007, when they hired a Spaniard and a rookie who was from Britain.

Last edited by F1Guy; 3 Sep 2018 at 12:35.
Old 3 Sep 2018, 12:26 (Ref:3847892)   #1398
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
The last time McLaren had wo new drivers was in 2007, when they hired a Spaniard and a rookie who was from Britain.

Ha. Good point. Great news for Norris, and, I think, F1 in general.
Old 3 Sep 2018, 12:30 (Ref:3847893)   #1399
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Thanks BJS. I was including the newest recruits (Sainz and Norris) in that list too. Does that count?

When a driver gets the seat full time, then I think it counts.
Old 4 Sep 2018, 10:42 (Ref:3848103)   #1400
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Pat Fry making a return to McLaren to consult over the 2019 car.

It's being reported in all languages, but nothing official as yet.