Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 May 2019, 18:08 (Ref:3904537)   #1701
ApexTurtle
Racer

United States
ApexTurtle is a back marker
Or a nice payout. Contracts are contracts.
Old 20 May 2019, 05:18 (Ref:3904796)   #1702
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Freddie Allen out of Indy because McLaren unprepared!

https://www.indystar.com/story/sport...ms/3670736002/

Who would have thunk.

McLaren disprepared it's unpossible! (Joke Jim)
Old 20 May 2019, 10:27 (Ref:3904838)   #1703
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Tried to win Indy on the cheap and faceplanted.

Richard
Old 20 May 2019, 10:50 (Ref:3904842)   #1704
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hmm, was that the real reason? Will be interesting to find out. I'm somewhat sad because of all the racers past and present that deserve to equal Graham Hill's title it's him and Senna. What it does demonstrate is even with the reliability and technology in use today the triple is still extremely difficult to achieve.
Old 20 May 2019, 11:31 (Ref:3904846)   #1705
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Of course JPM only needs to win LM to do it
Old 20 May 2019, 11:40 (Ref:3904848)   #1706
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Indeed but I don't put him in the same category as the others I mentioned.
Old 20 May 2019, 11:50 (Ref:3904851)   #1707
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I’ll agree to disagree on that one. He’s a proper racer who’s not afraid to give it a go. As well as the fact he speaks his mind
Old 20 May 2019, 12:02 (Ref:3904857)   #1708
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Don't get me started on JPM, I'll simply say that I was right.
Old 20 May 2019, 12:10 (Ref:3904858)   #1709
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Don't get me started on JPM, I'll simply say that I was right.
Im with you on JPM, Peter.
Old 20 May 2019, 12:13 (Ref:3904860)   #1710
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Thanks EB, the cheque is in the post.
Old 20 May 2019, 16:22 (Ref:3904907)   #1711
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Hmm, was that the real reason? Will be interesting to find out. I'm somewhat sad because of all the racers past and present that deserve to equal Graham Hill's title it's him and Senna. What it does demonstrate is even with the reliability and technology in use today the triple is still extremely difficult to achieve.
They did no races before hand and minimal testing. They don’t understand the car as well as everyone else who has been running it.

They over estimated their own abilities and under estimated the competition. It’s a very McLaren mess to be in.
Old 20 May 2019, 16:52 (Ref:3904911)   #1712
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I don't doubt you are correct but it would be good to get some corroboration. I thought they'd been planning this for some time.
Old 20 May 2019, 16:56 (Ref:3904912)   #1713
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They had been - but I believe they only did a single test with the car on an oval. Alonso crashed that car during the week and they reverted to the backup, which I think was from another team? (Someone with more knowledge will correct me if I'm wrong). That car was primarily a road course car.

During the final day it was pretty clear that McLaren were miles off on the setup. The car was dragging on the ground and bottoming - something that's rare at Indy. I think someone mentioned they even bought a shock/damper package from Andretti to try and cure their problems but they were unsuccessful. Again, someone with more knowledge will surely let us know.

McLaren over-estimated their ability again. They did minimal work with the car compared to every other team. If Alonso wants to win Indy, he should drop McLaren and go full time Indy Racing with a top team.
Old 20 May 2019, 17:03 (Ref:3904914)   #1714
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Your last point is interesting. Who is hurting whom? Alonso hurting McLaren or vice a versa?

BTW thanks for clarifying.
Old 20 May 2019, 17:06 (Ref:3904917)   #1715
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What I don't understand, is why Zak Brown thought hooking up with Carlin was a good idea. Their experience is minimal and that's been born out by the dismal qualifying results, with only one car on the grid.

Why did they bother to test at TMS? TMS and IMS are completely different tracks. Someone really didn't think this one through.

It would behoove Zak Brown, to start making overtures to some of the top teams.
Old 20 May 2019, 17:21 (Ref:3904921)   #1716
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Your last point is interesting. Who is hurting whom? Alonso hurting McLaren or vice a versa?

BTW thanks for clarifying.
I would say that McLaren is hurting Alonso. Since he left, they have made tiny bits of progress up the grid, but had to change engine supplier to do it. Meanwhile, Alonso won Le Mans. Whilst it's easy to argue that he had an easy win due to the lack of competition, his stint during the night was by far the most impressive in the race of any driver. He was absolutely top of his game. I believe he's talking about going to the Dakar with Toyota as well.

If he wants the triple, his best shot is to go speak to someone like Roger Penske.
Old 20 May 2019, 17:41 (Ref:3904924)   #1717
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
They had been - but I believe they only did a single test with the car on an oval. Alonso crashed that car during the week and they reverted to the backup, which I think was from another team? (Someone with more knowledge will correct me if I'm wrong). That car was primarily a road course car.
The oval car (the one he crashed) was the McLaren car. The backup car (the one he had to use for qualifying) was a road course car from Carlin.

If you look at Carlin's results: only Kimball in, their 2 other own cars out, and Alonso out as well, they weren't prepared either.

Quote:
If he wants the triple, his best shot is to go speak to someone like Roger Penske.
If he wants the triple, I think he best runs a full or at least partial race.

I'm not sure if Penske is interested in adding a one-off car for someone else than Helio. He didn't want to do it for JPM either (who is still running for his team in IMSA)

Apart from Penske, only Andretti seems like a good option.
Ganassi is too much of a 1-man team with (good) support acts.

If Alonso's really only interested in Indy, then maybe Carpenter?

--

EDIT: There's not much left of the McLaren's Indycar team anyway: Fernley has just left.
Old 20 May 2019, 17:57 (Ref:3904928)   #1718
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
The oval car (the one he crashed) was the McLaren car. The backup car (the one he had to use for qualifying) was a road course car from Carlin.

If you look at Carlin's results: only Kimball in, their 2 other own cars out, and Alonso out as well, they weren't prepared either.

If he wants the triple, I think he best runs a full or at least partial race.

I'm not sure if Penske is interested in adding a one-off car for someone else than Helio. He didn't want to do it for JPM either (who is still running for his team in IMSA)

Apart from Penske, only Andretti seems like a good option.
Ganassi is too much of a 1-man team with (good) support acts.

If Alonso's really only interested in Indy, then maybe Carpenter?

--

EDIT: There's not much left of the McLaren's Indycar team anyway: Fernley has just left.
I'd be going to Penske and asking to run a full season to be honest. If he's serious about the triple, he needs to commit to Indy full time. McLaren aren't going to cut it.
Old 20 May 2019, 18:04 (Ref:3904931)   #1719
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I'd be going to Penske and asking to run a full season to be honest. If he's serious about the triple, he needs to commit to Indy full time. McLaren aren't going to cut it.
Agreed, that's what I would do too: Penske, full season.

Question is: do they want him, and do they have room - or are they willing to make room for him?
Old 20 May 2019, 18:07 (Ref:3904933)   #1720
ApexTurtle
Racer

United States
I see no reason to run a full season. The 500 is not even close to comparable to the rest of the races. He managed to qualify easily in 2017 and would have had a good shot at winning if his engine hadn't died. People forget things so easy these days, that was only two years ago!
Old 20 May 2019, 18:16 (Ref:3904935)   #1721
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexTurtle View Post
I see no reason to run a full season. The 500 is not even close to comparable to the rest of the races. He managed to qualify easily in 2017 and would have had a good shot at winning if his engine hadn't died. People forget things so easy these days, that was only two years ago!
People haven't forgotten it at all. But that was a different aero package and a strong team who knew what they were doing.

If McLaren wants to win Indy, they won't do it on a part-time schedule. If Alonso wants to win Indy, he'll do better to gain more experience. Everyone else is learning, whilst he's not.
Old 20 May 2019, 18:23 (Ref:3904937)   #1722
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
Another benefit is that on a full-time schedule you have a dedicated crew working on your car who you get to know, who get to know you and what you like/don't like on your car.
Also, the crew is used to working together and not just a bunch of part-time crew members from other programmes your team is running.

You don't have any of those advantages if you're running an additional Indy-only car.

EDIT: And if it's not only the crew as in: people working on your car, but also: the one calling the strategy, the spotter(s), ...
I think it would be beneficial to have a group of people you actually work with, instead of a bunch of on-off guys.

Last edited by gert; 20 May 2019 at 18:29.
Old 20 May 2019, 18:29 (Ref:3904939)   #1723
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
We are way off topic, but hey, it's a slow F1 news day!

Quote:
Clearly Alonso is the problem here. Given we all agree that his timing and partner/team selection is horrible. That if Alonso shows interest in racing for you... you should run screaming for the hills! His bad mojo will curse you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexTurtle View Post
Not sure if you are saying the above tongue in cheek or not. But assuming you are playing it straight...

He needs to run with a team that knows what they are doing. Assembling a team for a single race (no matter how well intentioned or even if you get qualified people)... you are giving something up to those that do it on a regular schedule as a "team".

While Alonso did well in his maiden attempt, he had a well oiled machine guiding him along (which he didn't this time). He also was somewhat lucky. While his natural talent is undisputed, and he could be lucky in the future with one off races, running a full season lets him jell with a team, get more experience on oval tracks while racing the other full time drivers who will be his real competition at Indy. (I posted before I read gert's comment above, but he captured this part well)

I think he is currently holding off on a full time Indy drive until he can figure if he can inject himself back into F1. I guess he is watching McLaren's 2019 progress closely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Why did they bother to test at TMS? TMS and IMS are completely different tracks. Someone really didn't think this one through.
I suspect it was less about an optimal testing environment for Alonso as it was a test run for the team to work together.

Richard
Old 20 May 2019, 18:31 (Ref:3904940)   #1724
ApexTurtle
Racer

United States
Quote:
People haven't forgotten it at all. But that was a different aero package and a strong team who knew what they were doing.
Indeed, but my question is what does that have to do with him doing a full season? He just needs a better team.

And Indycar needs a better aero package but that's besides the point
Old 20 May 2019, 18:32 (Ref:3904941)   #1725
ApexTurtle
Racer

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post

While Alonso did well in his maiden attempt, he had a well oiled machine guiding him along (which he didn't this time). He also was somewhat lucky.
In what world is your engine blowing up while running in the lead group called luck? People are being way too dramatic about this in my view.