Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > 10 Tenths Motorsport > Announcements and Feedback

Old 26 Dec 1999, 00:34 (Ref:4579)   #1
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Okey dokey folks. One of the ideas i'm working on behind the scenes at present is the idea of making the newsletter HTML format for easy reading. It would include two versions - plain text as we get at the moment, and HML format.

What do you think ? Is it worth the effort to get this new system up and running ?

I will also likely be moving the distribution of the list from our own server to Listbot - which may mean the newsletter being slightly shorter, but will save me a hell of a lot of work here

Any thoughts, or suggestions anyone ?
Old 26 Dec 1999, 13:48 (Ref:4580)   #2
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not really fussed whether it's plain text or html at the end of the day it's the content that matters and I think everyone who contributes articles to the newsletter does a great job
Old 26 Dec 1999, 14:35 (Ref:4581)   #3
F1FansClub
Racer

F1FansClub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi,

I would just like to say that it is I that am helping Craig with this 'behind the scenes' newsletter thing! I don't want him to get all the praise! Lol

Ally Mitchell
Old 26 Dec 1999, 14:45 (Ref:4582)   #4
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks for the feedback. I'll look into the idea a bit more anyway, as I just got an email from Ally saying he couldn't manage to convert the newsletter to HTML and wouldn't be able to manage the archive for us - Tom's script which he's offered us should take care of this area with ease.
Old 26 Dec 1999, 14:47 (Ref:4583)   #5
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Sorry Ally - didn't realise you'd posted there!

Check your email for more details - I responded to your earlier message there...

Thanks for trying anyway.

Craig.
Old 26 Dec 1999, 15:36 (Ref:4584)   #6
RIKB
Veteran

RIKB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have been known to dabble with HTML bloke!
Old 26 Dec 1999, 15:45 (Ref:4585)   #7
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
You certainly can Rik! If the new system falls through, i'll certainly give you a shout - cheers! (however, the system we had in mind would have used a similar posting mechanism to Parc Ferme...)
Old 26 Dec 1999, 20:36 (Ref:4586)   #8
Lorna
Veteran

Lorna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Try the new format and ask for feedback. Once we have seen it in the flesh and if we don't like it we'll tell ya! If it is pants then you can go back to the old system.

My first and last sensible input for 1999... no... forever.

[This message has been edited by Lorna (edited 26 December 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Lorna (edited 26 December 1999).]
Old 26 Dec 1999, 21:16 (Ref:4587)   #9
Gerard
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Gerard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whether the newsletter is in plain text or HTML, it doesn't matter to me.
Like Carrie said, it's the content that matters.
Although, if I had to make a choice, I'll probably go for the HTML format.
One thing I don't understand is why switching servers makes the newsletter shorter.
A 1000 words are a 1000 words, aren't they?
Whatever the newsletter will look like in the future, it's always welcome in my inbox.

Gerard.
Old 26 Dec 1999, 21:39 (Ref:4588)   #10
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Thanks folks.

Lorna, the reason I don't do it that way is a simple matter of time - as in, I have very little of it - I don't want to waste any more than I currently do!

Gerard,
One of the major headaches with the newsletter is the number of bounced messages I receive. Each week I have to download around 500 messages - many of which, due to people not correctly configuring their server correctly, quote the entire newsletter which, at up to 80k each is no small thing!

I then have to manually sort through all the messages I receive, deleting these bounces... This is the reason I need to move the distribution to a third-party server - another time saver.

Unfortunately we have two choices - pay big bucks, or take advantage of Listbot or something similar and have to put up with a small ad at the end of the newsletter, and a size limit.

The switch to HTML is a seperate issue - I just like to do the job properly! And the fact it's in HTML format will mean that posting it to the site should be easier for whoever would like to take on the job of posting it.

Ideally i'd like to have someone take over the editorship of the newsletter entirely - collecting articles, writing the newsletter, mailing it, and posting it to the site... Sadly i've not yet found anyone who's a) good enough b) prepared to do it
Old 21 Jan 2000, 02:27 (Ref:4589)   #11
kev
Rookie

kev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does all this explain why why I haven't seen a newsletter yet this year?

Ah well, I'll take up singing instead.

Somthings missing in my life
Mabey in's news
Mabey it's news for me....
Old 28 Jan 2000, 11:28 (Ref:4590)   #12
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
kev,
Due to dwindling time, and a wish to take a different direction with my involvement with this site, Liz has taken over the newsletter.

The first issue under her editorship will go out tommorrow. Please let us know what you think of it.
Old 2 Feb 2000, 16:23 (Ref:4591)   #13
markph
Rookie

markph should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well if you are using html just make sure your 'results round up' section is formated with <pre> tags, or it'll look lyke really dodgy.