Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 26 Mar 2011, 19:29 (Ref:2853695)   #276
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Vettel owns Webber.
Truest post i've read so far in 2011
Old 26 Mar 2011, 19:38 (Ref:2853700)   #277
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
It's early days yet, and it's entirely possible that Vettel may have to try and overtake something tomorrow.
That's entirely possible.

But Mark starts behind Lewis and we all know what happened when he tried to overtake Lewis last year
Old 26 Mar 2011, 20:40 (Ref:2853740)   #278
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
It's early days yet, and it's entirely possible that Vettel may have to try and overtake something tomorrow.
Hoping Vettel can alay some concerns by actually racing Lewis and pulling an overtanke move on the McLaren. I cant recall a race win where he has overtaken a car...other then Malaysia last year where Webber left the door open for him into the first corner.

My fear isnt a big gap between the two, its just another tardy start to a season where Webber always seems to need 3 races to get some wing in his sail
Old 26 Mar 2011, 21:03 (Ref:2853754)   #279
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ_HCR32 View Post
My fear isnt a big gap between the two, its just another tardy start to a season where Webber always seems to need 3 races to get some wing in his sail
Problem for Mark is that he's never been that far off Vettel's pace at the start of a season IIRC?
Old 26 Mar 2011, 22:06 (Ref:2853775)   #280
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There has been sneaks of light and daylight a few times before:

Hungary ; Vettel 1:18.773 and Webber 1:19.184
Monaco ; Webber 1:13.826 and Vetel 1:14.227
German ; Vettel 1:13.791 and Webber 1:14.347

But what proves my point mostly is:
Bahrain 2010: Vettel 1:54.101 and Webber 1:55.284

Webber just never finds his feet first race out. I was hoping with an off season of rest and relaxation and focussing on prep for the new season rather then operations he may have been able to turn the tide....but...

It is only quali, and looking out my window rain clouds still loom s the two seater cuts some laps this morning
Old 27 Mar 2011, 01:34 (Ref:2853818)   #281
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
That's entirely possible.

But Mark starts behind Lewis and we all know what happened when he tried to overtake Lewis last year
Just great planning by Webber in Qualy ... he will simply sit and wait for Crash Hamilton to try and overtake Vettel and take them both out like he always does when he tries to pass (or the other way around). Webber wont try a move on Crash because he knows that he will just get cut off and risk a DNF. Hamilton simply cannot race with other cars without causing an accidfent. Vettel is similar but the chances are he will be a mile in front and he does that well.
If not, Webber can just wait for Crash to fry his tyres (like he always does with his silly overdriving style) and cruise on by.
Button is the bigger threat because he actually has some intelligence.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 02:15 (Ref:2853822)   #282
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Let's face it Lewis Hamilton should not be let near a F1 car..
Old 27 Mar 2011, 04:05 (Ref:2853836)   #283
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Let's face it Lewis Hamilton should not be let near a F1 car..
That's not true. Just like Webber he is entertaining.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 06:10 (Ref:2853861)   #284
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Deeks.

Jesus.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 07:09 (Ref:2853917)   #285
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeks6 View Post
Just great planning by Webber in Qualy ... he will simply sit and wait for Crash Hamilton to try and overtake Vettel and take them both out like he always does when he tries to pass (or the other way around). Webber wont try a move on Crash because he knows that he will just get cut off and risk a DNF. Hamilton simply cannot race with other cars without causing an accidfent. Vettel is similar but the chances are he will be a mile in front and he does that well.
If not, Webber can just wait for Crash to fry his tyres (like he always does with his silly overdriving style) and cruise on by.
What happened in Australia last year? Oh, I remember. Webber drove right into the back of 'Crash'!
Old 27 Mar 2011, 07:56 (Ref:2853957)   #286
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Deeks with another embarrassing attempt at winding up I see.

Anyway, Webber then. Pretty much owned by Vettel.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 08:01 (Ref:2853963)   #287
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Webber to Renault?

Driver swap with Petrov?
Old 27 Mar 2011, 08:47 (Ref:2854000)   #288
rustyinsthoz
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
rustyinsthoz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vettel did Webber easily today. I get the feeling that there will be a bigger gap between the two this year than last. As for the team favouring Vettel, there is nothing wrong with that as he has now established himself as clearly the better driver. Webber looked quite miserable the whole weekend. Webber should just concentrate on doing the best job for the team and himself, instead of trying to beat Vettel.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 09:33 (Ref:2854034)   #289
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeks6 View Post
Obviously not so much great planning by Mark then
Old 27 Mar 2011, 13:09 (Ref:2854166)   #290
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Vettel has huge confidence now. I think that Webber is going to have a very tough time this year to keep up with him. Last year he did manage to take the battle to Vettel with some stunning races, particularly his back to back Spain and Monaco wins, at least until the last final few races.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 13:12 (Ref:2854171)   #291
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Webber looked totally bewildered when being interviewed. He looked to be driving a different car out there today.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 13:18 (Ref:2854173)   #292
Mr V
Veteran

England
I do wonder if, after Seb's success last year, he has raised his game to a level that Mark is not likely to cope with and that's why he looked so shocked yesterday after quali?
Old 27 Mar 2011, 13:29 (Ref:2854180)   #293
St00ge
Veteran

St00ge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Something is a miss, I call bullshiat on seb suddenly gaining 1sec pretty much over webberBBQ over the off season.. I have no dramas admitting Vettel can whip out the quicker lap but there I find it hard to believe he can have nearly one second per lap quicker plus one less set of boots over a gp in the same RB7..

anyone have a pic of both Webbers and Vettels front wing flexing at the same point of the track
Old 27 Mar 2011, 13:38 (Ref:2854185)   #294
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Firstly, I do think Vettel is faster than Webber and Vettel has matured and you would see this if they had equal cars.

However I think the media storm over Vettel getting better treatment has strengthened Vettel big time. It may very well have caused the team to gather around Vettel more than was the case before.

I can see Webber's straight-talkin' manner to the media last year wrecking his relationship with the team. Bravely disguising injuries will impress the Australians, it won't impress the Austrians. All this builds up overtime.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 13:51 (Ref:2854190)   #295
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
deeks, oh dear, you're better than that.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 13:59 (Ref:2854198)   #296
St00ge
Veteran

St00ge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Firstly, I do think Vettel is faster than Webber and Vettel has matured and you would see this if they had equal cars.
but do you think he is that good that he has pretty much gained 1 sec a lap over webber since Abu Dabi Dui under race conditions??

I admit wookie has proven to be quicker but pretty much one second a lap while saving a set of tyres in the same car consistently over a wekeend is a pretty big step up from a gap of tenths and hundredths of a second last year...
Old 27 Mar 2011, 15:07 (Ref:2854236)   #297
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What was with Mark not doing a slowdown lap, but just stopping at the pit exit and getting out of the car before walking away? Busting for a pee? Or having trouble with getting to grips and the relative performances of Seb and himself over the weekend?

He certainly seemed less than happy and even by his own miserable look standards we have seen so often before with Mark..... this was as despondent and miserable as I have seen him look since he 'celebrated' his first podium at Monaco 2005.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 15:17 (Ref:2854240)   #298
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
What was with Mark not doing a slowdown lap, but just stopping at the pit exit and getting out of the car before walking away? Busting for a pee? Or having trouble with getting to grips and the relative performances of Seb and himself over the weekend?

He certainly seemed less than happy and even by his own miserable look standards we have seen so often before with Mark..... this was as despondent and miserable as I have seen him look since he 'celebrated' his first podium at Monaco 2005.
This seemed a strange thing to do to me too. Considering how many races the engines and transmissions have to last for, switching it off and walking away straight after the chequer just didn't seem that sensible a move.
Maybe once we know the mitigating circumstances we'll understand?
(Plus, as I'd considered one reason could have been that he was desperately low on fuel, and therefore probably light, he stopped knowing he wouldn't make the whole slowing / cooling down lap. Wasn't there a rule made in the last few years that cars must complete this lap under their own power? Or have I just made that up in my head?)
Old 27 Mar 2011, 16:13 (Ref:2854258)   #299
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by St00ge View Post
but do you think he is that good that he has pretty much gained 1 sec a lap over webber since Abu Dabi Dui under race conditions??
Webber couldn't explain it so either Seb had the measure of Mark comfortably or Red Bull are screwing him over, but would they do that to the detriment of 2nd place in the race and 8 extra constructors points? I don't think so.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 16:24 (Ref:2854266)   #300
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
The problem is the pressure Mark puts on himself. He's a competitor and is desperate to prove he's on a par with Vettel, but he isn't. At McLaren, Hamilton is quicker than Button, but Button doesn't seem to get eaten-up worrying about it. He just does his thing, does a great job for the team and occasionally comes out on top.