Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 1 Jan 2011, 22:17 (Ref:2810046)   #26
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Happy New Year everyone!
Suffering from lack of motorsport, went to Brooklands today, stood as far up the banking as I could, and imagined the sheer speed of yesteryear, those guys and girls were BRAVE!
Shame a national monument is so badly savaged, cant imagine developers would be allowed to build a business park on Stonehenge
Old 1 Jan 2011, 22:39 (Ref:2810050)   #27
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
I don't have an hangover
an hangover? Are those new mugs of yours bone china Iain? You'll be lifting your pinkie next
Old 1 Jan 2011, 23:46 (Ref:2810058)   #28
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
BTW ive given up chocolate.There is a box in the kitchen and i have survived so far.
Now that Xmas is over I've had my first Cadbury's Creme Egg of 2011
Old 2 Jan 2011, 06:04 (Ref:2810085)   #29
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Now that Xmas is over I've had my first Cadbury's Creme Egg of 2011
I must be getting old as can't cope with creme eggs anymore! Fortunately proper chocolate is now freely obtainable

Had first success of 2011 last night when I managed to reconcile a friends business accounts ready for his accountant! It was all spot on last year until I skived off to go racing in October- on return Sage was a muddle and had to go through last few months paper printouts yesterday to find the lost pounds. And I found them. Yippee!!!! Now just got to keep track of the Tuesday VAT change and make sure that doesn't cause more headaches.....
Old 2 Jan 2011, 07:49 (Ref:2810091)   #30
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spent NYE watching the fireworks in Sydney Harbour and trying to keep cool

Back to the UK on Wednesday after a month in Oz having escaped all of the bad weather to date - can't wait (not). Managed to fit in a visit to the National Car Museum (near Adelaide) so will post a few pics upon my return. Motoring wise its the first time I've had to stop a car to remove locusts from a radiator and air filter etc - swarms of them in some areas en route. Petrol approx 90 pence a litre and that's with a very weak pound!

Gary

P.s. The locals seem a bit 'miffed' about the cricket.

Last edited by gary396; 2 Jan 2011 at 07:53. Reason: Typo
Old 2 Jan 2011, 08:00 (Ref:2810092)   #31
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post

P.s. The locals seem a bit 'miffed' about the cricket.

NYE in Sydney sounds good choice! Welcome home and Happy New Year
Old 2 Jan 2011, 10:24 (Ref:2810127)   #32
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
>>>>>>>>>>>>chocolate is now freely obtainable

You may want to change "freely" to "easily".

As a cycling nutrition guru I once read said:

"Chocolate can be good for you, but remember good chocolate is rarely cheap and cheap chocolate is rarely good."

Gary, does it get better than your holiday? Miss the snow, cheap fuel AND the chance to rub antipodean noses in it.....
Old 2 Jan 2011, 10:29 (Ref:2810130)   #33
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>>chocolate is now freely obtainable

As a cycling nutrition guru I once read said:

"Chocolate can be good for you, but remember good chocolate is rarely cheap and cheap chocolate is rarely good."

And remember your home is at risk if you set fire to it.
Old 2 Jan 2011, 11:34 (Ref:2810152)   #34
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
It's all about quality, not quantity

Before you could easily buy the likes of Lindt 70% in UK, and if you could at daft price, I used to bring back loads from France on way home from trips. Now it is same price in UK supermarkets as French ones, and 'own brand' (in JS at least) just as good and less expensive still......
Old 2 Jan 2011, 16:39 (Ref:2810244)   #35
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
over rated stuff

prefer cheese myself
Old 2 Jan 2011, 16:43 (Ref:2810246)   #36
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post

prefer cheese myself
More cheese, Grommit?

Do the two constitute a balanced diet?
Old 2 Jan 2011, 16:47 (Ref:2810247)   #37
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Next tenths event - cheese and chocolate party anyone?
Old 2 Jan 2011, 17:05 (Ref:2810251)   #38
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Count me in
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 2 Jan 2011, 18:31 (Ref:2810268)   #39
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Happy New Year everyone!

Had an early morning run to Heathrow this AM to take elder daughter and her boyfriend and see them off to Sydney where they will be working for 2 years.

Trouble was that, after much to do over the last few weeks and days, she finally got around to synching her iTunes account between her old notebook (slow) and her iPhone in preparation of transferring stuff to a new notebook in Oz, the old one being knackered (thus left here). She also wanted to update her iPhone software. All of this took ages last night after we got in from a farewell dinner. Got to bed just before 2am, up at 4:40am when management's alarm went off.

Last minute panics included discovering that Cathay Pacific charge $60 per kg for excess baggage according to the web site. But this being rip-off Britain that translated to £60 per kilo at Heathrow. Being as they are going for 2 years they had quite a lot of stuff to take and had sent a container ahead but had been advised it would be overweight if they put too much in it. It wasn't nearly up to weight in fact - badly advised. So they figured the rest could go as excess anyway expecting about £50 a bag rather the £60 a kg.

So, what to do with 32Kg of excess weight?

Found a shipping co. that will do it for £220 but they re-packed to leave some stuff behind anyway. Then when we got there, having checked in and sent their hold cases off to the plane, they were told that the freight shipping did not allow any liquids. Re-pack again. Got it all paperworked and paid for in the Departure hall to then be told that they had to take the cases to the other desk in the Arrivals Hall to drop it off. So we trotted off there. At that point the bags went through a scanner and the operator spotted a couple of batteries. Empty bag again and search through finally realising that the batteries were in a clock in a plastic bag ...

The joys of modern travel.

Quite why the information one needs to know to make a successful transaction seems to trickle out instead of being presented up front I'm not sure.

The worst of it is that their original travel plans would have meant the baggage allowance would more or less have covered the weight of the bags - but daughter's company (major PLC) insisted she book a slightly cheaper flight with a different carrier that halved the allowances, introduced then to extortionate excess baggage fees and generally screwed the travel plans.

Smart people. All in all false 'economies' all round. Oh well ... you live and learn. I think some 'quality' reports will be submitted about the process.

They are heading for the Cricket on Tuesday. Wise move before contemplating work on Wednesday.

So one way and another the Xmas/New Year family time finished rather abruptly Sort of Cold Turkey really (though thankfully I have already ensured that the turkey leftowvers have been consumed.)
Old 2 Jan 2011, 18:55 (Ref:2810277)   #40
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
grant P happy new year, met you at the Delta truck drinking the Comtes wine, you were relaxed , talking racecars, talking your camera work, talking sense. but now????? what Nottingham forrest oak tree did you ran into recently??????
Old 2 Jan 2011, 19:01 (Ref:2810281)   #41
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But, apart from that - how was your day, Grant?

It's guilty pleasure night for me. The wife's at a concert, my son's working, my daughter's at a party, so it's a Delta-style evening enjoying Le Mans (which I haven't seen for about 10 years), accompanied by a curry, and maybe a beer or two. To complete the "blokey" feel, I've opted for a Vindaloo...
Old 2 Jan 2011, 19:39 (Ref:2810289)   #42
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Its called Fondue I believe
Old 2 Jan 2011, 19:59 (Ref:2810296)   #43
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Its called Fondue I believe
I bought one of those for Mrs Delta birthday back some way when. Didnt go down that well
Old 2 Jan 2011, 20:10 (Ref:2810298)   #44
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I bought one of those for Mrs Delta birthday back some way when. Didnt go down that well
after all this time I still don't really understand why the distaff side doesn't appreciate tools and equipment for presents
Old 2 Jan 2011, 20:22 (Ref:2810300)   #45
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
after all this time I still don't really understand why the distaff side doesn't appreciate tools and equipment for presents
I even told one of her mates what i was buying and she said that she would not be very impressed.I still went ahead. Anyway Mrs Delta bought me a new Crash Hat for Christmas. Thats the same thing.Init./
Old 2 Jan 2011, 20:46 (Ref:2810302)   #46
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
But, apart from that - how was your day, Grant?

It's guilty pleasure night for me. The wife's at a concert, my son's working, my daughter's at a party, so it's a Delta-style evening enjoying Le Mans (which I haven't seen for about 10 years), accompanied by a curry, and maybe a beer or two. To complete the "blokey" feel, I've opted for a Vindaloo...
Old 5 Jan 2011, 19:00 (Ref:2811592)   #47
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
FYI still got blooming flu.Woodcote 10 K run Sunday and i need to beat an old racing mate who is also running.
Old 6 Jan 2011, 14:09 (Ref:2811926)   #48
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
FYI still got blooming flu.Woodcote 10 K run Sunday and i need to beat an old racing mate who is also running.

Hmm. You may wish to reconsider that Iain.
Old 6 Jan 2011, 15:31 (Ref:2811953)   #49
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
shaken mine off now, not been for a run for a few weeks though!
Old 6 Jan 2011, 18:32 (Ref:2812027)   #50
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
shaken mine off now, not been for a run for a few weeks though!
but steeplechase to the loo?