Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 11 Aug 2001, 19:36 (Ref:128984)   #1
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This is what motorsports all about

I think this shows the real side of motorsports, well any sport really, fellow competitors helping each other out when they are in trouble. Although one thing ABG - couldn't you have given them an Engine about 4 billion years ago when they were really in trouble????

The start of the session had seen the four Astras out together - but the rest soon followed. Tim Harvey's Alfa sounded dreadful, but it was an odd electrical fault, not more engine trouble. The JSM team had been short of an alternator after morning troubles, but ABG came to the rescue with a spare taken from an IS200 road car. "We're glad to help them out."
Old 11 Aug 2001, 20:43 (Ref:128996)   #2
fudge
Rookie

fudge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Too True!

This is was motorsport is all about! Tom Boardman was having trouble at Snetterton and Triple 888 went to his aid. Thank God there is some co-operation out there, long may it continue.
Old 12 Aug 2001, 11:53 (Ref:129182)   #3
hunttheshunt
Veteran

hunttheshunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good to see the teams trying to help each other out for the good of the series. And Tom Boardman in an Astra next year?...
Old 12 Aug 2001, 12:50 (Ref:129208)   #4
Radisichrox
Veteran

United States
New York
Radisichrox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by hunttheshunt
Good to see the teams trying to help each other out for the good of the series. And Tom Boardman in an Astra next year?...
I hope not!

Well, that's good to hear. That never happens in Formula 1.
Old 12 Aug 2001, 13:16 (Ref:129217)   #5
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wouldn't have happened a few years ago in the BTCC.
Old 12 Aug 2001, 17:20 (Ref:129282)   #6
hunttheshunt
Veteran

Perhaps the teams realise that they need to co-operate if the new-look BTCC is to suceed.
Old 14 Aug 2001, 15:54 (Ref:130354)   #7
John Batchelor
Racer

John Batchelor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This has not been unusual this year in our paddock, as a new team we have been caught out loads of times, and have received help whenever we have asked, from all over the paddock, there is a great atmosphere between all of the teams, and whilst we may be rivals on the circuit, we are all friends off. I can think of one team who sent someone on a two hundred mile round trip during the night to get us a spare engine that they happened to have after mine blew up at Silverstone.
Sadly we fitted it and it didn't work too well, but not as you may think, a clever con to get rid of a duff engine, they said sorry it didn't work and didn't charge us a bean. I have been really impressed by the attitude of so many of the teams towards us, we are the REALLY new boys, but we could not have been made more welcome.
Old 14 Aug 2001, 16:16 (Ref:130366)   #8
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That team were very kind then!

At the end of the day, a lot of the competitors are just there fun the fun of it.

John, if the NSC had not merged with the BTCC do you think you would be in Touring Cars at all, because B&Q might not have given you sponsorship to be in the NSC?
Old 14 Aug 2001, 18:04 (Ref:130406)   #9
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
If the NSC hadn't been absorbed into the BTCC, I don't think there would have been a BTCC at all... seven or eight cars does not a series make.

Nice to hear about these stories though John, great to see that teams can still help each other - F1, take note!!
Old 14 Aug 2001, 18:08 (Ref:130408)   #10
John Batchelor
Racer

TL, this year was an opportunity, not just for new teams, but also for new sponsors to become involved without the multi-million pound budgets that would have been needed before. It will, no doubt, bring "new blood" in to the championship, from drivers, teams and sponsors so it is without doubt a good thing. If the championship had not had the profile that it does, then yes, it would have been harder to sell, and we might not have been here. But I'm sure that our sponsors are enjoying it, I know that we are and I really hope that you are, because without all of you we could'nt do it (and that is not just the usual "spin", I mean it, we have had terrific support this year and I am very very grateful, it makes a masssive difference to the team morale)
Old 14 Aug 2001, 18:45 (Ref:130433)   #11
hunttheshunt
Veteran

Well with BMP created it was probably inevitable that the NSC merged into the BTCC.
Old 14 Aug 2001, 20:52 (Ref:130489)   #12
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Quote:
Originally posted by John B & Q
But I'm sure that our sponsors are enjoying it, I know that we are and I really hope that you are, because without all of you we could'nt do it.
Yes I am enjoying it totally John. As you've said before and will probably say again you were sitting in the grandstands a few years back only wishing that you would do this one day. You've done it so hopefully that will inspire others to try the same. I'm not a salesman, but hey, my brother is, so there's still a ray of light for me to do what you have done. I wish!

I love it when the Team B&Q cars appear on TV. Team B&Q are always the first BTC-P team I mention when I am asked about the teams.
Don't know if it was Nick's or Joannas car was being past by Eaves' Pug when he went off? Well at least your cars stay on track!
Old 15 Aug 2001, 03:10 (Ref:130608)   #13
John Batchelor
Racer

It was Nick, but I don't think that Dan was meaning to try and pass there, I think he would have done it either just before or just after the chicane, maybe he just took a slightly wider line than normal and got on the greasy stuff. I was pleased to see him get out OK, that looked like a VERY BIG off.
Old 15 Aug 2001, 12:53 (Ref:130761)   #14
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
John sorry if that sounded as if I was blaming Team B&Q's car? Didn't mean it to.
Old 15 Aug 2001, 15:55 (Ref:130814)   #15
John Batchelor
Racer

No TL thats fine, I knew you weren't doing that.