Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 26 Jan 2018, 14:55 (Ref:3795271)   #126
PointDSM
Racer

United States
Wisconsin
PointDSM is a back marker
Such a shame that IMSA has to use the abbreviated name for Ferdinand Zvonimir Maria Balthus Keith Michael Otto Antal Bahnam Leonhard von Habsburg in Timing & Scoring....
Old 26 Jan 2018, 15:49 (Ref:3795275)   #127
kvenom
Veteran

kvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So Mazda found an issue with the #55 engine and are swapping that out as well.
Old 26 Jan 2018, 15:59 (Ref:3795277)   #128
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Even with Joest, AER's stuff is still junk. He's probably wishing he was still with a program with Audi or Porsche.
Old 26 Jan 2018, 16:27 (Ref:3795279)   #129
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Even with Joest, AER's stuff is still junk. He's probably wishing he was still with a program with Audi or Porsche.
Maybe I'm too pessimist by my nature, buy guys I still can't believe why so many of you here thought that AER engine would become suddenly reliable because of joest team...

Joest isn't an engine tuner; they are quite skilled about logistic, team managment and surely have a great engineering know how, but make engine isn't their job.
That AER l4 has a terrible heritage made by blown engines.... guess the only reason, mazda keeps on using that motor is because should be extremely cheap....
Old 26 Jan 2018, 18:04 (Ref:3795295)   #130
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Blame Mazda for not finding a different engine supplier or doing it in house.
Old 26 Jan 2018, 20:08 (Ref:3795304)   #131
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PointDSM View Post
...Ferdinand Zvonimir Maria Balthus Keith Michael Otto Antal Bahnam Leonhard von Habsburg...
Old 26 Jan 2018, 20:31 (Ref:3795309)   #132
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PointDSM View Post
Such a shame that IMSA has to use the abbreviated name for Ferdinand Zvonimir Maria Balthus Keith Michael Otto Antal Bahnam Leonhard von Habsburg in Timing & Scoring....
The RLM guys were talking about how they'd have to start half a lap before the end to reel off the full name if he actually took the flag to win the race...

...forgetting how he binned it at the last corner in Macau FROM the lead.
Old 26 Jan 2018, 21:16 (Ref:3795315)   #133
pdxracefan
Racer

United States
Oregon
pdxracefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/ed...hing-troubles/
Old 26 Jan 2018, 21:43 (Ref:3795320)   #134
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
I honestly think AER is getting unfairly crapped on here. They're not the best in the business, sure, but they've made a many a reliable engine in the past(they even for a time made one of the best LMP2/675 engine), and don't forget that this is an evolution of the same engine gave Dyson Racing an ALMS LMP1 championship while producing a similar amount of power.

Yeah, the issues with the engine have been quite significant, but it's certainly unfair to act like it's impossible for AER to fix the problem. Their history shows them to be plenty capable of handling the task.

Last edited by FormulaFox; 26 Jan 2018 at 21:57.
Old 26 Jan 2018, 23:47 (Ref:3795336)   #135
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
And the 77 Mazda will not make this session. Found something in an engine data log that they didn't like? What could that be?
Yeah, they found it was a Mazda
Old 26 Jan 2018, 23:59 (Ref:3795337)   #136
kvenom
Veteran

kvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lando Norris being pretty blunt in his assessment of the Ligier:

Quote:
"At this rate, we're going to need something – basically, anything," Norris told RACER. "At the moment we're struggling a lot. We're not really improving too much. Every time we think we're taking a step forward, we've gone out in the next session and it's just been terrible again.

"So nothing seems to be really working. Straight-line speed we're down on everyone else, and I don't think it's because of the engine, but the aerokit seems quite inefficient. We're struggling a lot with the car in the first sector with traction and over the bumps.

"It's going to be very difficult," he said. "Mentally it will be draining, because some of the other cars will be able to just drive around relaxed, when even when we're not pushing, we're sliding out of the corners. For 24 hours of constantly being on top of the car and having to concentrate 100 percent throughout the whole race is going to be tougher than [in] some of the other cars.
http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/14700...ad-of-rolex-24
Old 27 Jan 2018, 00:17 (Ref:3795339)   #137
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Ligiers has been struggling since day one. I don't know why the Nissan are going better, maybe the weight of the turbo v6 helps on the traction.

BAR1 reduced crew to four drivers. I think it will help, because five drivers trying to know a car doesn't help.
Old 27 Jan 2018, 04:28 (Ref:3795362)   #138
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Baldi View Post
The Ligiers has been struggling since day one. I don't know why the Nissan are going better, maybe the weight of the turbo v6 helps on the traction.

BAR1 reduced crew to four drivers. I think it will help, because five drivers trying to know a car doesn't help.
I was thinking about this yesterday because I'm a massive geek. The aero kit is slightly different, there are even some small differences around the side pods. Mostly I'm wondering what effect the wing/nose thingy is having.
Old 27 Jan 2018, 04:44 (Ref:3795363)   #139
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvenom View Post
Surprise Surprise, the engine in the #77 needed to be changed. Not even Joest can cover up the AER mess.
Let's be honest, we all knew what the problem was from the picture, didn't we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
I honestly think AER is getting unfairly crapped on here. They're not the best in the business, sure, but they've made a many a reliable engine in the past(they even for a time made one of the best LMP2/675 engine), and don't forget that this is an evolution of the same engine gave Dyson Racing an ALMS LMP1 championship while producing a similar amount of power.

Yeah, the issues with the engine have been quite significant, but it's certainly unfair to act like it's impossible for AER to fix the problem. Their history shows them to be plenty capable of handling the task.
I disagree. If you remember, the AER turbo-4 prior to the MZR-R series (MG badged) was very explody too. The V8s were pretty reliable and could be time machines on occasion but the 4s have been unreliable for a long, long time now.
Old 27 Jan 2018, 08:34 (Ref:3795375)   #140
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Well, ligier isn't so down to top speed.... until qualifying it was 192.9mph for ligiers and 193-194mph for others (but riley of course).
The problem is how ligier reaches this top speed.... while oreca is in sprint bodywork, ligier is in full low drag and lack of downforce is critical in S1.

About sprint bodywork, oreca guess is still the best, but ligier and dallara close.
Old 27 Jan 2018, 12:56 (Ref:3795402)   #141
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I disagree. If you remember, the AER turbo-4 prior to the MZR-R series (MG badged) was very explody too. The V8s were pretty reliable and could be time machines on occasion but the 4s have been unreliable for a long, long time now.
Well... Let's put it this way: Since 2000, AER has twp LMP2/675 wins at the 24 Hours of Le Mans: 2000 and 2006. None of them were with a V8(unsurprising since the V8 was their LMP1 engine). 2000 was with a Nissan-badged V6, 2006 was with an MG-badged I4, and two further podiums in the same period, both with the I4s.

Doesn't exactly paint the brightest of pictures, true, but keep in mind that up until 2008 pretty much all the LMP2/675 engines were very "explody" as you put it - including the offerings from Volkswagen, Peugeot, and Judd.

Judd engines nowadays are often treated by builders of unlimited class hillclimb cars in Europe the way American tuners love the LS, so we can see how this doesn't exactly speak poorly for a company's potential - it's just the way it was back then. Prior to 2008 it wasn't uncommon for third, and sometimes even SECOND, in LMP2/675 to be a DNF!

So their pre-MZR history isn't really any better or worse than their contemporaries in this field. But during the MZR era, well, prior to it's installation in the Riley/Multimatic Mk30 derived DPi, it didn't really have a lot of major reliability issues - even when they first went back to it after abandoning the diesel experiment. Speedsource made a lot of noise about cooling being a big part of the reliability problem, and both Joest and Mazda themselves have echoed this claim - if you look at the Racer.com tech tour video for the revised Mazda you'll notice a lot of talk about the changes made to cool the engine.

And let's not forget that AER is building the engines for the current batch of Indy Lights cars, which share the same basis. Though it's true that the Lights cars don't have to pump out near as much horsepower and they could sacrifice some aero efficiency for maximized cooling since everyone has the same car, it's still a significant piece of evidence that AER can, and has been, building good MZR derived engines.

Holy crap, that's some excessive rambling for one as tired as I am. I'll see you all in the afternoon. Race day has finally arrived!
Old 27 Jan 2018, 12:59 (Ref:3795403)   #142
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The ALMS LMP1 Championship they won, 3 out of the 4 cars had AER engines. It would've been more remarkable if they'd lost.
Old 27 Jan 2018, 13:27 (Ref:3795408)   #143
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCOSPtyZAPA

Morning guys! Excited for what should be a fascinating season and a great 24 hours of racing.
Old 27 Jan 2018, 13:43 (Ref:3795410)   #144
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yup! Race Day!!!!

All weather sites have it as 10% chance of precip pretty much all afternoon with it jumping to 20 around 8 PM,then back down to around 10% again until 7 AM tomorrow, where it goes up to 20% and bounces around up to 60% by the race's end.

I've heard someone say, a 30% chance is a 100% of chance of deluge in FLA. Should make it an interesting last few hours if we get some wet/drying/dry/wet!
Old 27 Jan 2018, 14:01 (Ref:3795412)   #145
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Yup! Race Day!!!!

All weather sites have it as 10% chance of precip pretty much all afternoon with it jumping to 20 around 8 PM,then back down to around 10% again until 7 AM tomorrow, where it goes up to 20% and bounces around up to 60% by the race's end.

I've heard someone say, a 30% chance is a 100% of chance of deluge in FLA. Should make it an interesting last few hours if we get some wet/drying/dry/wet!
We are getting poored on right now, so how ever long it takes to get over there......

Also just wanted to mention everyone can still participate in the Fantasy Racing Challenge for the 24 hours.

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...82#post3795082
Old 27 Jan 2018, 14:11 (Ref:3795413)   #146
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post

Perhaps having the rest of the car running sweetly, with nothing breaking or falling off, has seen additional stress, and obvious focus on the powerplant

It would be doubtful that Mazda USA bringing Joest in at what we can only assume is a not insignificant cost, means they will do what is needed for the whole of their programs’ success.

4 rotor rotary instead anyone? :;
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 27 Jan 2018, 14:51 (Ref:3795417)   #147
kvenom
Veteran

Haven't been this excited for a race since Le Mans 2015
Old 27 Jan 2018, 15:05 (Ref:3795419)   #148
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
We are getting poored on right now, so how ever long it takes to get over there......
It poors a lot in Louisiana.
Old 27 Jan 2018, 15:15 (Ref:3795424)   #149
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ohh race day ! I brought an extra computer from work to have live timing at every room all the time.
Old 27 Jan 2018, 15:17 (Ref:3795425)   #150
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Ohh race day ! I brought an extra computer from work to have live timing at every room all the time.
I thought I was hardcore. Now I've realised that I can't get live timing in the kitchen, so you're way ahead of me.