Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 24 Oct 2018, 07:58 (Ref:3858797)   #901
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is a great move, those Hondas are still very quick and with the right drivers they could have a decent shot at being near the front at the end of the season, depending on who they’ve managed to secure staff wise from Eurotech too.

Hoping Jack Goff gets a seat, he’d be the obvious choice as he knows the cars.

No mention of engine but I reckon they’ll go back to the Swindon TOCA setup.
Old 24 Oct 2018, 08:59 (Ref:3858803)   #902
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Volkswagen CC - Team HARD - Mike Buschell
Volkswagen CC - Team HARD - ??????

Honda Civic - Team Dynamics - Matt Neal ??
Honda Civic - Team Dynamics - ????

Honda Civic - BTC Norlin - ????
Honda Civic - BTC Norlin - ????

Honda Civic - Simpson Racing - Mat Simpson ?

Honda Civic - AMD - ????????
Honda Civic - AMD - ????????

Vauxhall Astra - PMR - ?????
Vauxhall Astra - PMR - ?????

BMW 125 - WSR - ??????
BMW 125 - WSR - ??????
BMW 125 - WSR - ??????

Ford Focus - Motorbase - Tom Chilton ??
Ford Focus - Motorbase - ?????
Ford Focus - Motorbase - ?????

Toyota Avensis - Speedworks - Tom Ingram ????

Audi S3 - Trade Price Cars Racing - ???????
Audi S3 - Trade Price Cars Racing - ???????

Alfa Rome Giulietta - HMS - Rob Austin ????

Mercedes A - Ciceley - Adam Morgan ????

Mercedes A - Laser Tools - Aidan Moffat ????

MG - ???????? - ???????
MG - ???????? - ???????
Old 24 Oct 2018, 09:28 (Ref:3858811)   #903
Dudley
Veteran

Dudley has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Then you are in for a surprise
Indeed!
Old 24 Oct 2018, 09:34 (Ref:3858812)   #904
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
Honda Civic - Simpson Racing - Mat Simpson ?
Why is Matt (two t's) Simpson only a question mark?

Numerous places (including Matt himself) have confirmed the 1-car entry for 2019.
Old 24 Oct 2018, 10:20 (Ref:3858822)   #905
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just to see if this will add some fuel to the Plato-MG fire, whats Iain Harrison ex888 doing these days?
Old 24 Oct 2018, 10:34 (Ref:3858826)   #906
MagicBoy
Racer

United Kingdom
MagicBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
He said it had reached the end of it's development path, or words to that effect, at the Snetterton meeting.
The MGs were running GPRM parts at that time. AMD seemed to get a handle on running the MGs with the RML parts this season after 888 had a torrid 2017.

Yeah, I know it's slightly more complicated than that, but the suggestion that the MG is stuck in 2014 isn't quite what it seems.

Excellent news on the Honda's for AMD. Glad that one is finally out of the bag!
Old 24 Oct 2018, 10:35 (Ref:3858827)   #907
Northern Monkey
Racer

Northern Monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
Just to see if this will add some fuel to the Plato-MG fire, whats Iain Harrison ex888 doing these days?

A lot of sailing...
Old 24 Oct 2018, 10:49 (Ref:3858830)   #908
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicBoy View Post
The MGs were running GPRM parts at that time. AMD seemed to get a handle on running the MGs with the RML parts this season after 888 had a torrid 2017.

Yeah, I know it's slightly more complicated than that, but the suggestion that the MG is stuck in 2014 isn't quite what it seems.

Excellent news on the Honda's for AMD. Glad that one is finally out of the bag!
Remember of course that whilst the MGs were running GPRM parts in 2014, so were the Honda's, the BMW's and the Fords which they were competing with.
None of them have stood still in the last 5 years having all upgraded to RML parts when it became mandated a couple of seasons back.

While based on what AMD have done its fair to say not to suggest the MG performance is stuck in 2014 (although they still were not really troubling the front runners), the same can be said for all the other teams around them.

The more i think about it the more I believe Plato or an associate may have aquired the MG's tho. But who would he have in the second car? whoever he pitches himself against will be a risk, unless they just run the 1 car
Old 24 Oct 2018, 11:00 (Ref:3858832)   #909
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Remember of course that whilst the MGs were running GPRM parts in 2014, so were the Honda's, the BMW's and the Fords which they were competing with.
None of them have stood still in the last 5 years having all upgraded to RML parts when it became mandated a couple of seasons back.

While based on what AMD have done its fair to say not to suggest the MG performance is stuck in 2014 (although they still were not really troubling the front runners), the same can be said for all the other teams around them.

The more i think about it the more I believe Plato or an associate may have aquired the MG's tho. But who would he have in the second car? whoever he pitches himself against will be a risk, unless they just run the 1 car
Whilst I don't necessarily believe the Plato/MG superteam theory if it is to happen, could he put a young hotshoe from the driver academy he was involved in?
If he's green & Plato beats him, Plato looks good, if he is the next Ash Sutton Plato gets hailed as a hero for spotting his talent/mentoring him etc...
Old 24 Oct 2018, 11:01 (Ref:3858833)   #910
MagicBoy
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:

My point is that Plato made the comment about development potential in 2014, the cars then ran in that configuration for another couple of seasons with increasingly mediocre results as other teams developed new cars and upgraded older ones when installing the RML bits. MG were forced by TOCA to upgrade fully to RML components for 2017. As to their 2017 problems being team management related, lack of testing on the new parts or something else entirely can be debated for a very long time.

AMD did a far better job running the MGs that anyone realistically expected and Butcher drove well. They deserve some credit for that.
Old 24 Oct 2018, 11:12 (Ref:3858835)   #911
porsche962fan
Veteran

didn't he say in 2010 - 2011 post race interview when he drove the S2000 Cruze that RML are the best in the business and that he wouldn't want to drive for another team and then jumped ship to 888 ?????

Last edited by porsche962fan; 24 Oct 2018 at 11:28.
Old 24 Oct 2018, 11:13 (Ref:3858836)   #912
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
AMD did a far better job running the MGs that anyone realistically expected and Butcher drove well. They deserve some credit for that.
I don't particularly like AMD or MG but have never said they did a bad job this year.
My point is that what were their results? a 17th in the driver championship with an overall best finish of 4th in a rain affected race, or 18th out of 21 in the teams championship. This is not championship contender form and thats about where I expected them to be really, and just looks better because 2017 was so bad.

I think you do have a point that the car was well prepared and at least looked like a decent car, I just don't understand why people seem to think that this makes the car suddenly a realistic title contender for next season when yet another team runs them with no experience of the car

And you dont think for a moment Plato's 2014 comments about development were just a way to try and get them to throw money at the car or him to stay on for 2015 at all do you? I mean after all he was a paid works driver being paid to promote how much potential the MG branded car has
Old 24 Oct 2018, 11:16 (Ref:3858837)   #913
porsche962fan
Veteran

Quote:
I think you do have a point that the car was well prepared and at least looked like a decent car, I just don't understand why people seem to think that this makes the car suddenly a realistic title contender for next season when yet another team runs them with no experience of the car
maybe they assume that AMD also got all the telemetry and setup sheets from Eurotech and perhaps if the can retain Jack Goff podiums may be on the cards
Old 24 Oct 2018, 11:17 (Ref:3858838)   #914
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
maybe they assume that AMD also got all the telemetry and setup sheets from Eurotech and perhaps if the can retain Jack Goff podiums may be on the cards
sorry i meant the MG6
Old 24 Oct 2018, 11:22 (Ref:3858842)   #915
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
My own opinion is that, if Plato will be involved in running the MG's in some fashion, then:

It will be a 'new' team, albeit with a lot of experience behind the scenes.
The team will be marketed as working towards a long-term plan, with driver and car development based on competing for honours in 2020 onwards.
The MG will be a known package to start with, against which the team can judge their progress.
Plato will assume a driver-coach role, where his own results are less important.
Old 24 Oct 2018, 11:23 (Ref:3858843)   #916
porsche962fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Plato will assume a driver-coach role, where his own results are less important.
you really think those 3 extra wins for his 100th win isn't very strongly on his mind ?
Old 24 Oct 2018, 11:28 (Ref:3858844)   #917
MagicBoy
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
I don't particularly like AMD or MG but have never said they did a bad job this year.
My point is that what were their results? a 17th in the driver championship with an overall best finish of 4th in a rain affected race, or 18th out of 21 in the teams championship. This is not championship contender form and thats about where I expected them to be really, and just looks better because 2017 was so bad.

The results for the non-Butcher car were poor, which dragged them down team standings. Butcher had less than half a year experience in BTCC at the beginning of the season.

I don't believe the car is a title contender, and evidently neither do AMD...
Old 24 Oct 2018, 11:30 (Ref:3858845)   #918
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
you really think those 3 extra wins for his 100th win isn't very strongly on his mind ?
While pride is strong, he also has a sensible enough mind to understand that his personal business interests are more important than statistics.

If the car is a race-winner, then he'll push for the century. But I don't think it will be the priority if he is putting a team together.
Old 24 Oct 2018, 13:19 (Ref:3858871)   #919
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Yes following the earlier conversation, i wonder if they will have a workshop and equipment in, I don't know, maybe say 5 weeks?
I think that would be a desirable outcome for a number of people.
Old 24 Oct 2018, 13:29 (Ref:3858873)   #920
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It’s funny you mention Plato, because I saw he was in the Metro newspaper speaking about his dream home in Oxfordshire. O/T I know

Anyway I hope Goff gets the AMD seat, I’m sure he’s high up on their list
Old 24 Oct 2018, 13:50 (Ref:3858883)   #921
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
It’s funny you mention Plato, because I saw he was in the Metro newspaper speaking about his dream home in Oxfordshire. O/T I know

Anyway I hope Goff gets the AMD seat, I’m sure he’s high up on their list
Did you notice he said he might be relocating for work next year? Not that a driver needs to live anywhere near the team of course, unless it's his team....
Old 24 Oct 2018, 14:43 (Ref:3858891)   #922
Robin Marriott
Veteran

What about Plato in a Honda at AMD?
Old 24 Oct 2018, 14:45 (Ref:3858892)   #923
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Quote:
I don't believe the car is a title contender, and evidently neither do AMD...
Or maybe the Hondas we’re too good to miss and TPC specified the Audi’s or no deal?
Old 24 Oct 2018, 15:26 (Ref:3858896)   #924
Secret squirrel
Rookie

Secret squirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is the Plato and MG thing actually a serious conversation? He will not be in an MG next year, there is more chance of retirement!!
Old 24 Oct 2018, 15:51 (Ref:3858900)   #925
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret squirrel View Post
Is the Plato and MG thing actually a serious conversation?
obviously some people have a wild imagination