Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 21 Oct 2003, 22:21 (Ref:758810)   #1
Mik
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
Mik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surprised there's no discussion of LFS on here

Is everyone here too busy playing GPL to be playing LFS as well? Or do people just not like it?

Mik
Old 22 Oct 2003, 07:17 (Ref:759084)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
LFS? Never heard of it.

Enlighten me Mik......

It'd have to be very, very good to get me away from the ultimate racing sim.....
Old 22 Oct 2003, 07:59 (Ref:759118)   #3
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
I would love to buy it and try it, but there is no way my 56k modem could manage the download. I put a message up at one of the Racesim Central forums about the CD file service they mentioned months ago, but no response. All the reviews are excellent, but I just have no way to access it at the moment.
Old 22 Oct 2003, 09:03 (Ref:759182)   #4
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Live For Speed i think it is Ayse. I think it's good, but i haven't tried it and i still think it won't be as good as GPL, but it might be worth it. Certainly better than the current crop of F1 sims.
Old 22 Oct 2003, 10:52 (Ref:759271)   #5
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What's this LFS thingy?
Where do you buy it?
Old 22 Oct 2003, 11:34 (Ref:759330)   #6
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I tried to download it, but like Allon my modem would never be able to download it. It looks great though, it even got on MotorsTV in the UK.
Old 22 Oct 2003, 12:03 (Ref:759377)   #7
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://lfs.racesimcentral.com/
Old 22 Oct 2003, 12:18 (Ref:759411)   #8
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://lfs.racesimcentral.com/content/screenshots.htm

Nice cars, shame it'll take me 8 HOURS to download on 56k...................
Old 22 Oct 2003, 12:22 (Ref:759414)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Looks promising.....

I will have to innestigate, it seems.....
Old 22 Oct 2003, 12:24 (Ref:759416)   #10
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Looks like Gran Turismo.

*yawns*
Old 22 Oct 2003, 12:26 (Ref:759424)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
There do seem to be rather a lot of "saloon" type cars......
Old 22 Oct 2003, 12:30 (Ref:759434)   #12
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
The only thing not resembling a salooncar is the Lotus 7.

but i really don't get on well with games that have that style of graphics (shading done with lighting effects, big advertisements everywhere, promoting GT4, Colin McRae rally and McDonalds, unrealistic look tracks, racing at night on ordinary roads with have curbs and grandstands put up randomnly over the place. Load heavy metal music, and a radio constantly screaming goddamn awful commentry about the race at you. Its just the whole arcady feel that i hate.
Old 22 Oct 2003, 12:44 (Ref:759452)   #13
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
By all accounts, it is a really fine sim that has been developed by sim fans for sim fans with sim fan input at all stages. (Fine sentence that one). A Gran Turismo arcade clone it is certainly not, and I believe it is planned to have regular updates to download over time. The reason it is only available by download is because there is no publisher. The fact that it is getting the postive reviews it is with very little publicity suggests it is really very good. Not that I will know due to the download time.
Old 22 Oct 2003, 12:48 (Ref:759456)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Graphics aside, it's the physics that's really all-important - after all, its that which makes GPL so brilliant. Does this mean though that I'm going to have to....... (whispers quietly)...pay....... for it?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Old 22 Oct 2003, 13:31 (Ref:759531)   #15
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Boy oh boy!
This game really sucks!

I downloaded the demo, played it for little more than 5 minutes and i already have a headache...
I would never.. EEEEEEEEEVVVEEEERRRR pay for a game like that!

Last edited by ASCII Man; 22 Oct 2003 at 13:32.
Old 22 Oct 2003, 14:56 (Ref:759645)   #16
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
i new it
Old 22 Oct 2003, 15:12 (Ref:759671)   #17
Mik
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
Hmmm...looks like I started something here :-)

Apparantly the people writing this game are GPL fans so that's where they're aiming with their physics model. I don't think they're there yet but the game is only one-third finished at the moment.

I can see that modem users would have a problem with LFS, it is a big download. It is at it's best when played online too although I think that it uses a more reasonable amount of bandwidth during an actual game.

Interested to here peoples comments though. Apart from GPL, this is the best physics model I think I've come across in a game recently.

I must get GPL working on my system again. I haven't played it for ages. I never managed to get it to work properly on my modern hardware...

Mik
Old 22 Oct 2003, 15:59 (Ref:759711)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Mik

I must get GPL working on my system again. I haven't played it for ages. I never managed to get it to work properly on my modern hardware...

Mik

Indeed you must Mik - most of us here are (as you gather already), fairly diehard GPL fans. I've got nothing against anything new and (dare I say it), who knows, one day something could well lure me away from GPL, but I doubt that this is it - a sim in which saloons predominate really isn't going to whet my appetite very much, I'm afraid. I mean, I'm a great sportscar fan, and GPL even managed to lure me away from SCGT completely!
Old 22 Oct 2003, 16:12 (Ref:759731)   #19
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Gene Rally gets all my attention these days....great game!
Old 23 Oct 2003, 10:27 (Ref:760489)   #20
Mik
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
OK, I *did* get GPL working, and it's still great - and I still fall off on most of the corners! COme to think of it, I do that in LFS as well :-)

Now I just need some more practice...

Mik
Old 23 Oct 2003, 12:02 (Ref:760600)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Come along and join the TTFLR crew on VROC on Sunday Mik?
Old 23 Oct 2003, 13:03 (Ref:760694)   #22
Mik
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
Thanks for the invite. If I'm around I might give it a go. Not sure what Im doing Sunday yet
Old 23 Oct 2003, 15:53 (Ref:760922)   #23
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Well, we're always in the market, so to speak, for new recruits.
Old 24 Oct 2003, 14:19 (Ref:761962)   #24
Mik
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
mmm...think I need to spend less time bouncing off the scenery before I try racing other people :-)

Maybe not this weekend then...
Old 24 Oct 2003, 15:54 (Ref:762029)   #25
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Fair enough.

Next weekend.