Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 2 Oct 2006, 20:39 (Ref:1725634)   #1
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Can you do your harness up with you crash helmet and/or HANS device on?

The reason I ask about this is that next weekend I'm doing a driver change race but I'll be all on my todd and doing both stints. The rules will be that at the pitstop drivers doing the race by themselves must get out the driver door, run round the car, and get back in the driver door. Seems simple enough.... but that means I won't have another driver to help me back in. I also don't have anyone with me for this meeting, so I'm going to have to get strapped back in by myself.

Now in an emergency getting out of my car is easy. Pop the harness, pull the steering wheel off and jump out the top. In normal situations, though, I ususally have to take my gloves off to undo my HANS device teathers, remove my helmet, carefully wedge all the loose ends of my harness where I can reach them again, then carefully squeeze out so as not to dislodge the belts. If that wasn't enough potential for problem getting back in is even worse. So far I've never yet been able to find my shoulder straps and get them properly on my HANS device with my helmet on. In addition, I can't fit my HANS teathers with my gloves on.

So..... at the moment it looks like to do the pit stop I'm going to have to take my gloves and helmet off before I get out the car. That is going to be a serious amount of extra time, and could well lose me the race. If it was you, would you accept the extra time as the price of safety.... or leave the HANS device at home?
Old 2 Oct 2006, 21:09 (Ref:1725650)   #2
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Personally don't agree with the HANs but depends what the regulations are for your championship? Having seen someone last week trying to fit HANs and helmet at the same time, it certainly gave me a good laugh!

I'd be inclined to say leave it at home - just for the slight worry, if you don't connect part of yourself (HANs, seatbelts) etc up properly because of space restrictions / time pressure etc, you could do yourself more harm than good.
Old 2 Oct 2006, 21:16 (Ref:1725658)   #3
SPBRacing
Rookie

United Kingdom
North West
SPBRacing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DTYPE38

Try using bunge straps (Elstatic straps with hooks on). You can get them from tesco for less than a quid for two. On your car clip to the end off your belts or at adjuster clip to screen or roll cage your get in and they are above you in your vision.

Seen it done so not my idea. Alot off the Britcar and GT/24hr cars use them to get belts out the way.

give it a go.
Old 2 Oct 2006, 21:31 (Ref:1725675)   #4
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ken,

When you get out of the car, set your shoulder straps in such a position that you can easily get hold of them, and just lay them over your HANS without the need to look left/right.

With mine, I flip them over the "ears" on the seat, so once I'm in, I pull them over the HANS, clip 'em in, after doing up the gut straps, and then slide my seat forwards (on runners!!!), before tugging the straps tight. After some practice, I get it right every time.

You know what they say, practice makes perverts.... ooops, I mean Perfect.

Rob.
Old 2 Oct 2006, 21:58 (Ref:1725694)   #5
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze
Personally don't agree with the HANs but depends what the regulations are for your championship? Having seen someone last week trying to fit HANs and helmet at the same time, it certainly gave me a good laugh!

I'd be inclined to say leave it at home - just for the slight worry, if you don't connect part of yourself (HANs, seatbelts) etc up properly because of space restrictions / time pressure etc, you could do yourself more harm than good.

Rubbish. Driver safety is paramount. And if DTYPE38 has taken the trouble (and gone to the expense) of buying a HANS then he obviously thinks it is necessary for his safety. To suggest that he leaves it at home is suggesting he compromises his own safety.

DTYPE38 - if you remember to stay cool, calm and collected (and if necessary ask a nearby marshal to help you with your belts) you should not have a problem. Just remember to drive carefully!
Old 2 Oct 2006, 22:00 (Ref:1725696)   #6
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well said sheila.
Old 2 Oct 2006, 22:06 (Ref:1725702)   #7
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I only agreed with it, as he suggested leaving it at home if you read what he has written.

It's his choice. My worry is he flaps (sorry!) and doesn't connect everything together "properly" - presume he must at least be allowed a mechanic, or someone, to help.
Old 2 Oct 2006, 22:20 (Ref:1725713)   #8
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Interesting advice. Suze... (actually I'm completely by myself) the bit of me that wants to win this race (and if I don't make any silly mistakes then that's a serious possiblity) agrees with you. And the extra time to sort out my belts and HANS could well cost me the win. But.... the bit of me that bought the HANS device in the first place agrees with Sheila.

SPBR, I have my crutch strap (anti-submarine belt) on a bungie so as it can't disappear under my seat, but I have an open car with only a rear roll hoop behind me, so there is nowhere to suspend the other belts where I can see or reach them.... but thanks for the idea anyway

Rob.... think you're probably winning me over most so far. My seat is fiixed and I can't adjust my lap belts when I'm in the car, so I have to breath in and push hard to do them up. Hard even when I can see them, but I've been in my garage practicing with my eyes shut and it is possible, just! I think I've worked out how to lay the rest of the belts out so I can reach them, but at the mo I can only manage it with my gloves off. I haven't tried with my helmet yet though, let alone my HANS.

So current thinking.... Come into pits loosening off shoulder straps and removing gloves. Stop. Wedge the gloves on the dashboard, remove steering wheel and hang on gear lever. Pop the belts and carefully lay the shoulder staps over the body and door and wedge the lap straps down either side of the seat. Keeping helmet and Hans on, ease out of seat straight up and step out over the door. Run round and step back in over the door. Slide down into the seat and do up lap/crotch straps by feel, then the shoulder straps. Pull down shoulder straps then put on steering wheel and gloves. Restart engine and go win race............ errr.....

Gonna be an interesting week. Also looks like I might be spending at least half the practice session just going in and out of the pits. If anyone else has any suggestions they would be very gratefully received
Old 2 Oct 2006, 22:21 (Ref:1725715)   #9
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Rubbish. Driver safety is paramount. And if DTYPE38 has taken the trouble (and gone to the expense) of buying a HANS then he obviously thinks it is necessary for his safety. To suggest that he leaves it at home is suggesting he compromises his own safety.
Sorry Shiela but thats a bit harsh - Suze never made the suggestion of leaving it at home, Dtype did in the first post. If you re read what she is saying (and has re emphasised) she is trying to suggest the safest solution.

I have done endurance racing and to be honest there is not always a marshal there to help, and not all of them are familiar with fitting a HANS.

The elastic belts tip is a great one - works a treat.
Old 2 Oct 2006, 22:27 (Ref:1725719)   #10
Davhut
Racer

Davhut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, I can't do mine up. But I sure can undo them if I'm not dead! Love the device, and despite all the aggro, my head's still way more comfortable than my jewels!
Old 2 Oct 2006, 22:29 (Ref:1725721)   #11
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Sounds like I need to invent an elastic belt springy thing that works without a roof or roll cage to attach it to!
Old 2 Oct 2006, 22:35 (Ref:1725726)   #12
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtype38

So current thinking.... Come into pits loosening off shoulder straps
NOOOOOOO! Do not even think of it!

Belts should remain fastened until you reach a COMPLETE stop.
Old 2 Oct 2006, 22:39 (Ref:1725729)   #13
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
DTYPE, you need to campaign that for a change in regs that means you don't have to get out and get back in again, that you just need to be stationary for a certain amount of time, having drivers getting in and out makes for a cluttered and more dangerous pitlane.
Old 2 Oct 2006, 22:47 (Ref:1725734)   #14
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Already tried that Chezza. Spoke directly to the meeting organiser. The answer was that they simply don't have the manpower to do timed stops for more than a couple of drivers (given that they don't know when drivers are going to pit and lots could come in at once). For this reason they limit the "sit in the car for a set time" only to disabled drivers. I could see their point and actually I had to agree with them.
Old 2 Oct 2006, 22:48 (Ref:1725735)   #15
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila M
Belts should remain fastened until you reach a COMPLETE stop.
Oh all right! Knew that really....
Old 2 Oct 2006, 22:49 (Ref:1725737)   #16
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
That is fair enough, was worth a try!
Old 2 Oct 2006, 22:52 (Ref:1725741)   #17
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
I've also tried asking if I can leave my engine running, but that's a no-no as well. Seems that's considered more dangerous that the coughy, spluttery, bangy, flame-thrower impression my car does when I try to restart it hot!
Old 2 Oct 2006, 22:58 (Ref:1725748)   #18
Suze
Veteran

England
I think it's important to remember that winning isn't everything - bloody difficult!

Have you really not got a spanner or anyone to help? Wouldn't lossen belts until you're stationary, shame they're not a little more flexible ie sit in car for ten secs or whatever. Like I said, worry is you may "flap!" Hope you remember your exaxt masterplan you detailed above, best of luck
Old 2 Oct 2006, 23:08 (Ref:1725757)   #19
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Other option Dtype is to pit behind another car, wait for them to do the change and follow them out - then nobody will complain
Old 2 Oct 2006, 23:10 (Ref:1725759)   #20
Suze
Veteran

England
Maybe, maybe not though Sam - though maybe another suggestion for the organiser?

Don't think it'd work in practise to be honest.
Old 2 Oct 2006, 23:35 (Ref:1725772)   #21
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
Other option Dtype is to pit behind another car, wait for them to do the change and follow them out - then nobody will complain
It's gotta be worth asking the question. When I spoke to the organiser he actually asked me if I had any suggestions. I didn't think of that one!
Old 2 Oct 2006, 23:39 (Ref:1725773)   #22
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
If you do that make sure you pick the team with the quick change!
Old 2 Oct 2006, 23:41 (Ref:1725775)   #23
Suze
Veteran

England
If he says no nothing's lost - just got to make sure you're behind another car when you come in!
Old 2 Oct 2006, 23:44 (Ref:1725779)   #24
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Yeh, good point. Can't quite see me loitering behind slower cars as they come out of Russel Bend just to see if they dive in the pits or not! Perhaps that wouldn't work after all.
Old 2 Oct 2006, 23:46 (Ref:1725784)   #25
Suze
Veteran

England
Unless you want a Sunday afternoon drive, that is

I think what you've said above is a possible reason why it might not work - but then again, it could do! Just depends how things pan out, I guess, and that's something none of us can tell.

Tags
hans