Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 1 Feb 2009, 11:06 (Ref:2383609)   #1
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Ken Webb's Retiring

Those of you who know Ken will be familiar with his annual threat to retire from marshalling; sadly, this time, it's for real - it was announced at the BARCNW 'Real Night Out'.

I'm sure everybody who knows & has worked with Ken will want to join me in wishing him well & thanking him for all he has done for us - many of us are better marshals thanks to the knowledge & experience Ken has passed on.

Ken, we'll miss you...

...but not your jokes!
Old 1 Feb 2009, 11:22 (Ref:2383616)   #2
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Went to the IOM with Ken one year........a very long crossing! Joke afte joke after joke
Ken is one of those characters that you can't do without and it's sad he's hanging up his notepad, but he is 102yrs old so the time is right!

Ken, we will miss you at Oulton & Anglesey but I'm sure we will still see you wandering around the speccy areas.
Old 1 Feb 2009, 12:02 (Ref:2383629)   #3
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another font of knowledge hangs up his probans. Enjoy your retirement mate, but what are you going to do at weekends now?

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 1 Feb 2009, 22:27 (Ref:2383860)   #4
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ken is one of those guys that makes you smile no matter what. Several Gold Cups have been spent in caravans and around fires with many a tale, always with a belly of laughs going with it. Sharing a post with Ken is always fun and always an eye opener. I remember once when we were desperately short of bodies and Ken was observing on his own at the outside of Knickerbrook. He said in the morning that he wouldn't go to any incident and would ask for a red if need be as he was struggling physically. So cue a few sessions later, a Cinquecento blows a water pipe and rolls right past him and stops in the middle of nowhere. We stood helpless as poor Ken struggled with a bottle to it.

Ken is much like Cliff at Oulton, it won't be the same without him on the bank but i'm sure we'll see him around the paddock sometime
Old 2 Feb 2009, 08:47 (Ref:2384055)   #5
Red_08
Veteran

England
Mid-Cheshire
Red_08 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had my first posting with Ken and he is definitely one of the reasons that I got the marshalling bug. His enthusiasm and the banter were great, then and every other time I was under his wing.

Happy retirement Ken.
Old 2 Feb 2009, 09:13 (Ref:2384077)   #6
Paul Newns
Veteran

Paul Newns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ken is a real character. I know he hasn't been well for a long time, and he's been threatening to retire for a while now. I'll miss his awful jokes. Have a long and happy retirement, Ken.
Old 2 Feb 2009, 10:46 (Ref:2384134)   #7
Michael E
Rookie

England
Yorkshire
Michael E should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I have only had the pleasure of working with Ken on three occasions,but found him a genuine real nice guy,humerous,down to earth and made me feel very relaxed in his presence.
I hope that you enjoy your retirement and look forward to seeing you in the paddock sometime soon. You will be missed.
Old 2 Feb 2009, 13:08 (Ref:2386577)   #8
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My lasting memory of Kenny will be a test day at the old Anglesey when a smokey car pulled off behind him at Abbotts.
He was livid, because he dropped his corned beef sandwich whilst carting his extinguisher over to the car.
Old 2 Feb 2009, 18:48 (Ref:2386794)   #9
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Oulton Park without Kenny Webb? - Another sign that we are, all of us, getting older because he has been around as a fixture since I started.

Does this mean I will have to rely on Mick Dickens for new jokes ??

God bless you, Ken, and all the best. Hope to still see you around (after all you even managed to turn up at Donington last year).

Kiss, Kiss,

Shelagh (& Bill - but without the sign off)
Old 2 Feb 2009, 19:07 (Ref:2386819)   #10
pit bull
Racer

United Kingdom
In the pit lane, Cheshire
pit bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Happy retirement Ken, will miss those quite nights camping and in the bar

Some say he spent it on fags, some say he exchanged it for a traffic light air freshner for his race car. all we know is he's called PIT BULL! :)[/QUOTE]
Old 2 Feb 2009, 19:16 (Ref:2386829)   #11
Ian Briggs
Veteran

Ian Briggs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, that was confusing, I read the thread title and it said, Kenn Webbs retiring, he's not been retiring any time i met him, flatulent, yes, but not retiring.
Old 2 Feb 2009, 19:29 (Ref:2386840)   #12
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Briggs
Well, that was confusing, I read the thread title and it said, Kenn Webbs retiring, he's not been retiring any time i met him, flatulent, yes, but not retiring.
I wondered how long it would take for somebody to spot that!
Old 3 Feb 2009, 01:14 (Ref:2387052)   #13
jim69
Racer

jim69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I am sure Kenny will be missed by all at Oulton. I spent many days with him even before he was an observer, I think my very first day on the bank was with Ken at Knicker Brook (1984). He is a good friend to many, I spent a couple of FF festivals in his caravan (a real honour), Drank to many rusty nails, and spent all our time talking to anybody who didnt speak English. Kens flare for language is amazing.
I hope he will not dissapear completely. I have not seen him for a while as I am in Indonesia now, but if someone speaks to him please pass on my regards as I am sure he will not read any of this.
All the best Ken. Jim Webster
Old 3 Feb 2009, 09:51 (Ref:2387206)   #14
uncle tom
Racer

Wales
Holywell
uncle tom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Happy retirement Ken will miss your jokes and storys.