Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 19 Oct 2019, 22:51 (Ref:3935705)   #726
Pickles
Veteran

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyd123 View Post
Well, same could be said of the BMW’s at the start of the season....
People can clearly see when a car has an advantage.....
Yea but did BMW big the new car up or just get it out on track and let it do the talking? Surely if you've found the perfect NGTC car you don't go telling everyone beforehand how quick it's going to be
Old 19 Oct 2019, 23:09 (Ref:3935707)   #727
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
Yea but did BMW big the new car up or just get it out on track and let it do the talking? Surely if you've found the perfect NGTC car you don't go telling everyone beforehand how quick it's going to be
Does it matter?
Everyone else would see the performance, if you told them or not.
And I don't think the technical experts base their adjustments of a car on drivers' comments.
Old 20 Oct 2019, 00:06 (Ref:3935712)   #728
MagicBoy
Racer

United Kingdom
MagicBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicBoy View Post
Sutton could win in anything half decent. You might want to remove the blinkers and cast your mind back a few years to Ash and Cook in the MG 6.
So apparently Sutton went karting today. He'd never driven a shifter kart before : https://youtu.be/AT6xnU1WVmY?t=18801
Old 20 Oct 2019, 00:16 (Ref:3935715)   #729
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
So apparently Sutton went karting today. He'd never driven a shifter kart before : https://youtu.be/AT6xnU1WVmY?t=18801
Except for when he drove one 2yrs ago.

https://twitter.com/ASuttonRacing/status/843449954173698048?s=19

(And every time before).
Old 20 Oct 2019, 07:51 (Ref:3935797)   #730
CroftPilgrim
Racer

CroftPilgrim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Not quite.

The running gear is common, and the subframes start out as a common design.
To fit specific shells though, the ROPS is unique for each car.
The ROPS (and also the front/rear subframes I think) can 'age', and no matter what happens to the rest of the car, this will always deteriorate over time.

So as an example - NGTC-12-002 (an FK2) suffered heavy damage in early 2017. This chassis will now, even if rebuilt, not have the same rigidity of NGTC-18-004 (an FK8).
Not to mention that each car has a different wheelbase, width, length, weight, cog etc, which all make each model behave differently
Old 20 Oct 2019, 07:57 (Ref:3935800)   #731
Pickles
Veteran

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Does it matter?
Everyone else would see the performance, if you told them or not.
And I don't think the technical experts base their adjustments of a car on drivers' comments.
I realise that, just thinking that if I'd designed the perfect NGTC car I'd be letting everyone else figure out why it was so quick rather than telling them. Just like when any company comes up with an innovative new product they don't go sharing all the technical details with their competitors... Maybe its just me
Old 20 Oct 2019, 08:04 (Ref:3935803)   #732
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
I realise that, just thinking that if I'd designed the perfect NGTC car I'd be letting everyone else figure out why it was so quick rather than telling them. Just like when any company comes up with an innovative new product they don't go sharing all the technical details with their competitors... Maybe its just me
I guess some of that depends on the genesis of the entry.

A lot of the attention being drawn to the Subaru's 'perfectness' was designed to highlight features of the car that are (relatively) applicable to the road car.
The boxer engine and the aerodynamic efficiency were regularly referred to, features that appeal to Subaru buyers.

BMW's approach was subtly different - they had no need to explain 3-series benefits over the 1-series, because they still want to sell both models. So their focus would be on the wider BMW image, rather than the specifics of the car itself.
Old 20 Oct 2019, 08:14 (Ref:3935808)   #733
Pickles
Veteran

Quote:
I guess some of that depends on the genesis of the entry.

A lot of the attention being drawn to the Subaru's 'perfectness' was designed to highlight features of the car that are (relatively) applicable to the road car.
The boxer engine and the aerodynamic efficiency were regularly referred to, features that appeal to Subaru buyers.

BMW's approach was subtly different - they had no need to explain 3-series benefits over the 1-series, because they still want to sell both models. So their focus would be on the wider BMW image, rather than the specifics of the car itself.
Very good points Like I say, just something that I'd been thinking for a while, not saying I'm right but interested to hear others views.
Old 20 Oct 2019, 08:43 (Ref:3935814)   #734
Johno.UK
Racer

Johno.UK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
One point I've always wondered... Had BMR just built the Levorgs and raced them, without all the fanfares and JP crowing about the loophole they'd found and successfully exploited, how long would it have taken for everyone to catch on to the cars inherent advantages? Would the CoG arguments etc have even taken place?
I think it would be putting the abilities of the other engineers down to say they didn't realise well in advance the advantages that platform had. It was more of a case of whoever had the ability to get the deal done first.
Old 20 Oct 2019, 09:05 (Ref:3935817)   #735
Pickles
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno.UK View Post
I think it would be putting the abilities of the other engineers down to say they didn't realise well in advance the advantages that platform had. It was more of a case of whoever had the ability to get the deal done first.
Yea, never thought of it like that
Old 20 Oct 2019, 09:33 (Ref:3935822)   #736
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think Ash has shown he would be good in any series. He has been the only one to put the Scooby up there consistently for the past 3 seasons
Old 20 Oct 2019, 09:40 (Ref:3935823)   #737
MagicBoy
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
Except for when he drove one 2yrs ago.

https://twitter.com/ASuttonRacing/st...173698048?s=19

(And every time before).
I'm well aware he used to race karts when younger. The race organisers are stating he's not raced a super shifter before, so who am I to argue.
Old 20 Oct 2019, 10:15 (Ref:3935828)   #738
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
The race organisers are stating he's not raced a super shifter before, so who am I to argue.
I guess they forgot about the time two years ago he drove one!!
Old 20 Oct 2019, 10:49 (Ref:3935837)   #739
MagicBoy
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
I guess they forgot about the time two years ago he drove one!!
Drove, not raced.

Assuming it's the same kart. I'm not kart class expert.
Old 20 Oct 2019, 11:00 (Ref:3935839)   #740
Johno.UK
Racer

Johno.UK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'm well aware he used to race karts when younger. The race organisers are stating he's not raced a super shifter before, so who am I to argue.
Probably just publicists getting confused over what Ash said. He had never driven/tested that particular kart before so they probably assumed he had never driven a shifter kart before.
Old 20 Oct 2019, 11:12 (Ref:3935840)   #741
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Drove, not raced.
Yes, that's what I said.

The IAME press release was written: Ash hadn’t even driven a Super Shifter until just a few weeks ago

It might be true that Ash hadn't raced a Super Shifter, but that's not what was claimed. Unless they wrote weeks when they meant years?

(Although I guess they're technically correct if you count 100 weeks as being a few)!
Old 20 Oct 2019, 15:26 (Ref:3935874)   #742
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wouldn't it be nice if James Turkington joins the grid

can't figure out any other occasion when brothers raced each other in BTCC

Last edited by porsche962fan; 20 Oct 2019 at 15:52.
Old 20 Oct 2019, 15:47 (Ref:3935876)   #743
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
wouldn't it be nice if James Turkington joins the grid

can' figure out any other occasion when brothers raced each other in BTCC
What about the James and Richard Kaye.
Old 20 Oct 2019, 16:32 (Ref:3935880)   #744
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jeff and Aron Smith too....
Old 20 Oct 2019, 16:34 (Ref:3935882)   #745
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
they never raced at same time
Old 20 Oct 2019, 16:55 (Ref:3935885)   #746
jsmee
Veteran

England
Essex, UK
jsmee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
they never raced at same time
They're not brothers, and i'm pretty sure Craner Curves set you up there.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 20 Oct 2019, 16:59 (Ref:3935886)   #747
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
Ollie and Mat Jackson since then
Old 20 Oct 2019, 17:02 (Ref:3935887)   #748
Pickles
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Ollie and Mat Jackson since then
They're not related
Old 20 Oct 2019, 17:02 (Ref:3935888)   #749
Pickles
Veteran

Aron and Gavin Smith?
Old 20 Oct 2019, 17:03 (Ref:3935889)   #750
jsmee
Veteran

England
Essex, UK
jsmee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Aron and Gavin Smith?
They are brothers, but check the history. They didnt race at the same time in BTCC.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk