Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 20 Jan 2010, 18:20 (Ref:2616458)   #26
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quite right Tim,I have my srecg at Harlow Hospital by an eminent cardiologist.My last visit I made the comment that is was reassuring to know that my heart was in good condition [let alone beating as well],he replied that "its fine for now but he couldn't guarantee that I'de make it back to my car,the test proves nothing long term,only that there is nothing wrong at the time of the test.In fact,the test itself probably doe's more damage than good for most people"
One day,someone is going to keel over either whilst taking the test or just after,I wonder what will be said then?
Old 20 Jan 2010, 18:35 (Ref:2616474)   #27
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
does he lat you havea fag while your doing it ?
Old 20 Jan 2010, 18:42 (Ref:2616478)   #28
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
does he lat you havea fag while your doing it ?
No, there were only a couple of nice ladies there for mine so I was out of luck.
Old 20 Jan 2010, 20:34 (Ref:2616547)   #29
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll not comment on the Assistant,SHE is way way to nice for some who post on here Zef.
Old 6 Feb 2010, 14:45 (Ref:2627884)   #30
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
jellison has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Personally I think you should just drop down to the y fronts and strike a pose

If you look fit. You have passed. If not then you have to go to THE NEXT LEVEL!!
Old 6 Feb 2010, 19:55 (Ref:2628018)   #31
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had my ECG / Medical last week, and chatting to my GP we discussed the false positives that have had some media attention, but he did point out that there are probably as many false negatives too! People who pass a stress ECG and drop dead with heart failure soon after!!
His solution was a 24hr ECG - it's like a tape recorder with a couple of probes, and takes a real meaningful look at your ticker over that longer period.

The FIA state that the national organisation "may" request a resting ECG for under 45's, and many EU countries don't. The UK has just re-instated it.

A blood test could be just as effective - showing up all sorts of things - stuff that p in a bottle, and an ECG won't.

We could of course, go for a full monte - ECG's, blood tests, MRI, and a mortgage to pay for it all!
Old 7 Feb 2010, 18:42 (Ref:2628701)   #32
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I've moved some of our less sensible posts to the Lighter Side thread
Old 7 Feb 2010, 19:07 (Ref:2628728)   #33
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by R59 View Post

The FIA state that the national organisation "may" request a resting ECG for under 45's, and many EU countries don't. The UK has just re-instated it.
Before anyone has a heart attack, the MSA has NOT required an ECG from everyone this year. See the 'Notes' that come with your renewal or application, Sections 9,10 ans 11..
Only INTERNATIONAL licence applicant/renewers less than 45 need a resting ECG every two years, and over that they have long needed a 'stress related' (treadmill) ECG reported on by a cardiologist.

John
Old 19 Feb 2010, 22:48 (Ref:2636654)   #34
Brian George
Rookie

England
Grantham
Brian George should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have just renewed my Nat A licence on line with 10 days left on my existing medical, My new licence arrived within 6 days reading the blue book it states that drivers over 45 should have a medical annually so i arranged with my GP to have the medical & sent the completed form to the MSA to update my records. I then recieved a phone call from the MSA licensing dept asking why I had done this as he said as long as my medical was in date at time of application it was OK & I didnt require a medical until Jan 2011 I think this is wrong but it is a loophole they have no intention of plugging good job my GP only charges me a couple of complementry tickets for Brands Hatch hope this clears a few things up Brian George
Old 20 Feb 2010, 07:41 (Ref:2636799)   #35
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian George View Post
I then recieved a phone call from the MSA licensing dept asking why I had done this as he said as long as my medical was in date at time of application it was OK & I didnt require a medical until Jan 2011 I think this is wrong
I can't believe I've just read that, which medical school did you go to?
Old 24 Feb 2010, 18:09 (Ref:2639869)   #36
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where does the MSA have a record of when your medical was? I tried the same earlier this year, about 10 months after my last medical but they chucked it back. As far as I can see you can't renew race licences on line anyway.
The BB also says you must submit your application within a set time (6 weeks) of the medical.
Old 24 Feb 2010, 20:48 (Ref:2639962)   #37
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done, Brian! Does this mean we'll see you out there again, trying not to spill the coffee?

I've just (yesterday) shredded the notes that came with my licence renewal form, but the BB seems to say that the medical must be within 3 months of the issue of the new National licence (H10.1.1) which seems to contradict your experience. Maybe you were lucky not to get the eagle-eyed MSA checker who spotted that my GP had c****d up part of the examination resulting in a few worrying days till it was sorted - just as well I don't need a stress ECG
Old 28 Feb 2010, 16:40 (Ref:2642005)   #38
Mark Griffiths
Racer

United Kingdom
Cheshire, U.K.
Mark Griffiths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The stress ECG isn't foolproof but it seems we're stuck with it. I know of a certain legendary driver (sadly no longer with us) who had a mate who impersonated him when it came to ECG time (the mate is still around, so no names, no pack drill).

What is more worrying for me is the huge variance in the standards of international licence granted by the ASNs. At least in the UK whether you hold a full Int C or an Int Historic you've had to complete a few races. In some countries I think you simply fork out a wedge of cash, collect some packet tops and complete the sentence "I want to be a racing driver because...." To race with the HGPCA you need an international licence- a few years back one character turned up with a 2 litre Cooper, and an international licence having never raced before. Quite how out of his depth he was became apparent at Oulton Park when, having been left for dead on leaving the assembly area for qualifying, he turned the wrong way at Knickerbrook and set off back up the Avenue. Now that's frightening, just as it was to be at the Le Mans Classic a few years back and overhearing a Yank telling his mates how much he was looking forward to the night race, what with it being his first ever event. God help us.....
Old 28 Feb 2010, 17:29 (Ref:2642030)   #39
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
septics, racing in the dark, and the rain, nearly enough to make me start believing!
Old 28 Feb 2010, 17:34 (Ref:2642034)   #40
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
It could be smelly though zef
Old 28 Feb 2010, 17:52 (Ref:2642051)   #41
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
I'm thoroughly against any more "Tanks" being out there.
Old 28 Feb 2010, 18:48 (Ref:2642081)   #42
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
LYNX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was asked why I wasn't racing in the Lurani trophy and replied that I didn't have an international licence - a "kind" international friend said that if I filled in an application in their country it would be granted automatically! Needless to say I declined and think all FJ drivers will now breathe a huge sigh of relief.
Old 28 Feb 2010, 22:42 (Ref:2642278)   #43
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think there should be 1 set of rules for EVERY ASN to grant any "international " licence
1 all drivers have raced b licence obtained 5 signatures
2 raced A licence obtained 5 signatures
NOW they can look to apply for Inter C or hysterical Inter C
depending on the level of car to be raced there needs to be some car speed performance grading going on as in theory some well heeld man can race ford fiestas get his sginatures then drive in TGP F1!
How can that be allowed with no driver tuition/assesment taking place?
If aman is heading towards f1 type car he should be obtaining his signatures in cars that rise in power speed performance when they have obtained the B licence and proove they are capable of driving certain level of cars
When you look at the old nternational B licence and A licence drivers had to finish in certain categories in top 10 or 5 positions !!

As for the medical status the RACMSA are not really capable of doing this task
the clerks are not qualified to deal with ECG reports and medications certain people are on then quibble doctors signatures and waste applicants time with dumb comments and demands for another letter form Doctor to clarify their signatures etc!
Why do we have to have medical ever year for Inter c licence when all we do is race in another member state country for fun yet a club licence we can self certify !!
Old 1 Mar 2010, 12:00 (Ref:2642597)   #44
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood View Post

Why do we have to have medical ever year for Inter c licence when all we do is race in another member state country for fun yet a club licence we can self certify !!
the answer is you probably don't have to have the int one in the first instance... you should check very few series require it if you are racing in Europe
Old 1 Mar 2010, 16:08 (Ref:2642738)   #45
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
yes i agree in principle on this but if the SR`s state international C required ie Orwell supersports CER etc what do you do?
yes i accept racing in a French FFord race is Nat A requirement grade licence but in the old days u still needed Inter C to race " abroad"
becoming part of the EEC has possibly eased some problems/created confusion in other areas
I know a UK hillclimber who went to run on french hills had to surrender his UK licence to get french national licence for some local races but to do the major French hillclimb serie she could race racmsa Inter C hillclimb race licence
yes I know that could all be down the them being french but its about time there where 1 set of rules
You dont see the French play rugby against England at twickenham with their own version of the game!
Old 1 Mar 2010, 18:02 (Ref:2642803)   #46
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I remember the first time we went to Spa with the Radicals . We were all told the drivers from the UK had to get a Belgium race licence."think ive still got mine along with my "man from uncle ID card".When we got to Spa the officials at signing on said that it was a load of ********"in French" or Flemish i can feel a remark from Eddy comming soon..
Old 1 Mar 2010, 21:48 (Ref:2642945)   #47
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
Is Belgium a provence in France?
I rest my case!!
yes Provence is in France but nowhere near Belgium....
<gets coat>
Old 1 Mar 2010, 22:01 (Ref:2642953)   #48
bdwoody
Veteran

United Kingdom
redbridge southampton
bdwoody should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if you are 46 47 48 do you have to have a medical every year then ??
Old 2 Mar 2010, 07:20 (Ref:2643164)   #49
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Yes!!!.Answer to above.Anyone my age 57 will of had to have a medical every year since i started way back in 1972. Mind you we used to do DIY medicals back then.
Old 2 Mar 2010, 07:24 (Ref:2643165)   #50
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Just reading Motor Racing Legends Tech sheet and its says all drivers must have Inter C or D. or International Historical. So question for Simon,are you not racing with Legends this year???