Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 25 Sep 2009, 09:03 (Ref:2547846)   #1
silente
Racer

silente should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Differential Preload

Hi,

I know this topic was already discussed some time ago, but i couldn't find the thread, so i ask again here.

Working with a salisbury differential, with ramps and friction plates, what are the effects of preload on handling in your opinion?

I have noticed that having too much preload can lead to turn in understeer, but i would like to know your point of view on this. And what about mid corner and corner exit?

Thanks!
Old 28 Sep 2009, 21:30 (Ref:2550077)   #2
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ultimately preload has no great effect the more preload the quicker the diff reacts

its not speed thats dangerous, just the sudden lack of it!
Old 29 Sep 2009, 09:13 (Ref:2550343)   #3
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Preload has more of an effect BETWEEN the phases. With no preload the differential will act like an open diff between power and coast, which could make the handling... interesting.

Adding preload ensures there is always some degree of limited slip even during the transision, although it's usually pretty small in comparison to the ramp angle locking. Some people suggest about 10lb.ft preload torque, others prefer 50lb.ft (whoops, nearly wrote lb/ft - who put the / near the . button!!).

Which you choose depends on driver preference, and how willing you are to keep dismantling and shimming the diff!
Old 29 Sep 2009, 12:30 (Ref:2550475)   #4
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristancliffe View Post

Some people suggest about 10lb.ft preload torque, others prefer 50lb.ft (whoops, nearly wrote lb/ft - who put the / near the . button!!).
I'm sure we would understand what you meant, this isn't P***N H**ds you know.
If you don't have enough preload don't they just slip as one wheel unloads?
Old 29 Sep 2009, 15:09 (Ref:2550580)   #5
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Personally I've always shimmed mine to 50ft/lbs in the vice with a couple of old cut off halfshafts. At the end of a race as the diff and oil warms up there is hardly any resistance anyway !
In the "good old" cheapo days we all used welded diffs with the "narna skin"tyres and very rarely broke a half shaft, also you only had to turn the steering to park it on a hill
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 16 Oct 2009, 12:48 (Ref:2562690)   #6
Belatti
Racer

Argentina
Argentina
Belatti should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristancliffe View Post
Preload has more of an effect BETWEEN the phases. With no preload the differential will act like an open diff between power and coast, which could make the handling... interesting.
So what about the cars with no LSD? They are not that difficult to drive
Old 18 Oct 2009, 22:53 (Ref:2564120)   #7
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Probably because they are made with an open diff in mind. And most (if not all) would probably benefit from the use of a LSD except the most underpowered.