Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 14 Feb 2019, 13:33 (Ref:3884137)   #726
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
I bet Virgin isn't one of them
Right first time...... As of the other day, according to a well known comparison website, it was Three and Smarty, whoever the latter is.
Old 14 Feb 2019, 13:34 (Ref:3884138)   #727
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Roaming charges is about the only thing I can think of which is beneficial about EU membership. And that's 'cos it was imposed on Commercial companies by the Eurocracy. Big Government interfering in a supposed free market. Maybe cheap airlines is another. I may be naïve, and many other things, but I can't see anything good from Brussels that couldn't have been negotiated by countries or Companies with no EU input.

I'm on a Boys Beer day out on March 29 to celebrate!
Old 14 Feb 2019, 13:35 (Ref:3884140)   #728
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I expect them all to remain unchanged since they all want to retain your/my business.
Such trust is charming!

We've been screwed often enough by utilities. It appears to me that they have total contempt for the consumer, they may lose a few subscribers initially but when it all settles down they'll have bulldozed through yet another price rise, because we'll all have forgotten at contract renewal time and the vast majority of the populace doesn't use roaming anyway.

5 Live "Wake up to Money" came from a fish processing factory in Scotland today. The boss there could have been reading my posts, he agreed with my every word about delays, the lack of clarity on paperwork etc etc. He used the word "difficulties" instead of "chaos" but was speaking off the same page as me.

I genuinely thought a "Leave" vote would be the start of a new world order. How naive. Same old same old isn't it? Incompetence, delay and obfustication with us all picking up the tab.
Old 14 Feb 2019, 14:13 (Ref:3884143)   #729
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As there are only four different network providers (or owners might be more accurate) if I remember correctly, and whatever one does the rest will follow. Virgin Mobile, by the way, piggy-backs on the EE network the same way that Tesco Mobile runs on the O2 network.
Old 14 Feb 2019, 14:18 (Ref:3884145)   #730
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
I have seen/heard a number of TV/Radio phone in programmes and in every case where the member of the public had voted to leaver, that was all they wanted, and expected. Not one person mentioned 'deals' or negotiations, just get out of the EU on March 29th.

It may be that Remainers will think that a naïve approach to a complex situation, but 'Leavers' simply prefer the consequences to the on-going corruption of the EU.

Jumping off a sinking ship may not be an option of choice, but it gives some hope of survival, while going down with the ship is certain death.
Leave means leave surely? simple as that.
Old 14 Feb 2019, 14:41 (Ref:3884148)   #731
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
Leave means leave surely? simple as that.
Well 17 odd million of us voted for that, but a handful of politicians have other ideas. A bunch of Jocks, a handful of 'Liberals, six Paddies, and mob of self seeking Labour MP's, added to a Tory awkward squad, mean that the 'will of the people' can be thwarted without any meaningful means of enforcing that will.

Where can I buy a yellow vest?
Old 14 Feb 2019, 15:50 (Ref:3884169)   #732
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Well 17 odd million of us voted for that, but a handful of politicians have other ideas. A bunch of Jocks, a handful of 'Liberals, six Paddies, and mob of self seeking Labour MP's, added to a Tory awkward squad, mean that the 'will of the people' can be thwarted without any meaningful means of enforcing that will.

Where can I buy a yellow vest?
Can you get me one as well please?
Old 14 Feb 2019, 16:04 (Ref:3884176)   #733
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
Can you get me one as well please?
I'm quite happy to arrange an export order if your local Halfords is unable to supply. There would be a minimum quantity however.
Old 14 Feb 2019, 16:57 (Ref:3884198)   #734
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Such trust is charming!
Don't be daft. It's good business sense.
Old 14 Feb 2019, 17:05 (Ref:3884204)   #735
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Don't be daft. It's good business sense.
Apart from that would there be anything to stop the UK Gov imposing the same roaming conditions on the mobile phone operators as the EU do now?
Old 14 Feb 2019, 17:17 (Ref:3884206)   #736
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Right first time...... As of the other day, according to a well known comparison website, it was Three and Smarty, whoever the latter is.
O2 is not changing its policy.
Old 14 Feb 2019, 17:47 (Ref:3884209)   #737
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What the 4 networks, EE , 3, O2 and Vodafone have actually said is that they have no plans currently to re-introduce roaming fees. And the government are not currently considering legislating to stop them; they say that will be a commercial decision for the networks to make.
Old 14 Feb 2019, 18:11 (Ref:3884212)   #738
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
O2 is not changing its policy.
The providers were asked if they would guarantee that charges wouldn’t be re-introduced. Only the two mentioned did that, O2 and several others said that they had no immediate plans to re-introduce, but they would be monitoring what happens. In other words, as Mike says......
Old 14 Feb 2019, 18:36 (Ref:3884217)   #739
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Fair enough. But as I said they'd be daft to change things.
Old 14 Feb 2019, 18:41 (Ref:3884219)   #740
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Fair enough. But as I said they'd be daft to change things.
Yep.
Old 14 Feb 2019, 18:51 (Ref:3884222)   #741
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
The providers were asked if they would guarantee that charges wouldn’t be re-introduced. Only the two mentioned did that, O2 and several others said that they had no immediate plans to re-introduce, but they would be monitoring what happens. In other words, as Mike says......
Like the government and VAT. "We have no plans to raise the rate..."

"....ah, well, the finances are worse than we thought so we're putting VAT up. "

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 14 Feb 2019, 18:53 (Ref:3884223)   #742
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
BTW I read the O2 bit on my web account. They make no mention of changes.

Bit I think the thing as it stands is that pretty much nothing that affects consumers is due to change, at least in the short term.

Agreed there may be more effort for businesses but they are there to adapt to different trade requirements anyway.
Old 14 Feb 2019, 19:11 (Ref:3884224)   #743
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Like the government and VAT. "We have no plans to raise the rate..."

"....ah, well, the finances are worse than we thought so we're putting VAT up. "

Interestingly i think that was imposed by the EU.
Old 14 Feb 2019, 20:07 (Ref:3884233)   #744
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
It’s very easy for such things to get promised in such a way that the ‘promiser’ leaves themselves an escape route!

Sort of like ‘we didn’t actually lie, just not tell the whole truth.....’

I can only comment on Three with regard to mobile roaming charges. They have texted customers with a message stating that ‘you’ll still be able to use your phone in the EU as you do now, after 29 March.’

Mmm...
Old 14 Feb 2019, 21:23 (Ref:3884251)   #745
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Just saw a tweet from someone called Terry Christain. Apparent he knows a number of companies that will sack any staff who voted leave in the event of a no deal Brexit.

Doesn't realise that not only would that breach employment laws it crashes straight through the Human Rights Act.

What are these people smoking?
What!Thats just ridiculous.I'll leave it at that.
Old 14 Feb 2019, 22:51 (Ref:3884264)   #746
midgetman
Veteran

Quote:
Interestingly i think that was imposed by the EU.
Peter I think maybe you've got two different situations mixed in together. Under EU law VAT cannot be less than 15% (Source: Wikipedia). However the VAT rise from 17.5 to 20% was definitely a Conservative/Lib Dems coalition choice as this article sets out:

http://www.channel4.com/news/article...t/3688427.html

As an aside, because I'm not VAT registered I buy goods from Europe with VAT added on as any consumer would. Racewear comes from Germany attracting 19%, awning spares from Italy attracting 22%. If we leave on WTO terms presumably I'll pay VAT at 20% via the import agent as I do on my Far Eastern purchases - and on the smallest packages there's never any VAT or duty added. So I may be better off, although delivery times are all over the place if customs get involved.

Old 14 Feb 2019, 22:58 (Ref:3884265)   #747
midgetman
Veteran

Terry Christian is a lightweight TV presenter who made his name on "The Word" in the 80s. He always portrayed himself as "out there", it seemed to me he made outrageous, attention-seeking comments for effect.

Seems he hasn't changed. Presumably he hasn't been in the press enough lately.

Old 14 Feb 2019, 23:59 (Ref:3884280)   #748
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Terry Christian ........

Seems he hasn't changed. ..........
Oh, he has, he's developed into a proper raving nutter....
Old 15 Feb 2019, 05:17 (Ref:3884296)   #749
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Peter I think maybe you've got two different situations mixed in together. Under EU law VAT cannot be less than 15% (Source: Wikipedia). However the VAT rise from 17.5 to 20% was definitely a Conservative/Lib Dems coalition choice as this article sets out:

http://www.channel4.com/news/article...t/3688427.html

As an aside, because I'm not VAT registered I buy goods from Europe with VAT added on as any consumer would. Racewear comes from Germany attracting 19%, awning spares from Italy attracting 22%. If we leave on WTO terms presumably I'll pay VAT at 20% via the import agent as I do on my Far Eastern purchases - and on the smallest packages there's never any VAT or duty added. So I may be better off, although delivery times are all over the place if customs get involved.

Yes I do recall the coalition doing it. So outside the EU it can reduce to below 15% although I doubt it.
Old 15 Feb 2019, 08:56 (Ref:3884334)   #750
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here's what I've been thinking about why the Irish border has become such an issue.

The Thatcherite/Tory idea of competition is to reduce costs (e.g. wages, investment, standards etc.), whereas the more humane approach is to improve productivity (by investing in staff, equipment etc.), which is less profitable for the “mill owners” but is popular with those who do the actual work and customers who benefit from better quality products.

So as Britain heads off into the unicorn filled, candy-floss lined post-Brexit world, what their former partners are worried about is the UK’s continuing race to the bottom.

They have long accepted the remarkably low banking standards etc. but are worried that reduced product standards could see an unwanted influx of lower quality, unacceptable produce (e.g. modified or treated foodstuffs and poor-quality goods) that does not meet the minimum standards that have been determined over many years by the EU members.

Not to mention the potential re-emergence of the great smuggling/tax evasion industry.

And it is hard to ignore the irony that the Leave campaigners who claimed they wanted to “take back control of our borders” (which of course they already had) now appear to be saying there is no need for the border that they wished to take control of.

Is it any surprise that the rest of the EU are still asking “what do you want?”.