Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 7 Dec 2019, 09:26 (Ref:3945335)   #626
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
Tend to agree with you about it being a replica (Recreation or fake) as the only survivor of these cars now has an ordinary c type body on it. Roy Kettle did not design the body for the car though, he was behind the installaion of the wrong water pump which led to the overheating problems. Thus the Kettle "nickname".
The polite name for them now is a " Tribute " car .
I originally heard about & saw pictures of it at a local company that builds C Types , but that must be nearly 10 years ago .
Got in a mild argument with them by saying that the shape of the body would make it fly at a high speed , but they said the problem had been overheating at Le Mans .

But it is funny that Jag scrapped all of the bodies & went back to the turned up tail design .
Old 7 Dec 2019, 10:57 (Ref:3945342)   #627
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I looked back at 2005 for these images from the British GT Championship Meeting. Ferrari, Porsche, Morgan and Mosler.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2074.JPG   IMG_2077.JPG   IMG_2083.JPG  

IMG_2089.JPG   IMG_2093.JPG   IMG_2082.JPG  

Old 7 Dec 2019, 11:02 (Ref:3945343)   #628
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And these from the Formula 3 race at the meeting, no idea what they are though.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2102.JPG   IMG_2105.JPG   IMG_2110.JPG  

IMG_2119.JPG   IMG_2121.JPG  
Old 7 Dec 2019, 11:12 (Ref:3945347)   #629
bauble
Veteran

England
These are from the 2005 Classic, the year I started using a digital camera, a Canon 350D with a Sigma zoom lene.

AC Cobra, BMW, Lotus Elite, Morgan, Morris Minor, Lotus 11
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0373.JPG   IMG_0562.JPG   IMG_0376.JPG  

IMG_0381.JPG   IMG_0601.JPG   IMG_0375.JPG  

Old 7 Dec 2019, 11:19 (Ref:3945350)   #630
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Re the F3's, pic 1 is a Dallara F304 (Mugen Honda) pic 3 is a Dallara F305 (Opel), pic 4 is another Dallara F305 (but Honda powered) , pic 5 is Bruno Senna in the Raikkonen Robertson Racing Dallara F305 Honda.

In the group shot the blue/white one is a Dallara 305, the red one behind that is a Lola B05/30 and the orange/white car on the right is another Dallara F305.
Old 7 Dec 2019, 11:24 (Ref:3945352)   #631
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
6, Lotus 22 with 2x Elva behind (for Gerrard), not sure on the red car could be a BMC. Thanks rbs, you know me know!
See that, Bauble, even E.B is trying to spot what is behind… A very good idea imho!! Please go on!
Old 7 Dec 2019, 19:55 (Ref:3945407)   #632
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Someone will like these I'm sure, and probably know what they are.
That'll do nicely for me - there's something about the B6/B8, B16 and T70 shapes that just fits my idea of what GTs/sportscars should look like.
Old 7 Dec 2019, 20:52 (Ref:3945423)   #633
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The thing about your Silverstone Classic photos is that they are 15 years old. But they could be five years old, or current, or even next year. I can't make my mind up if that's good or bad?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 7 Dec 2019, 22:45 (Ref:3945443)   #634
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
The thing about your Silverstone Classic photos is that they are 15 years old. But they could be five years old, or current, or even next year. I can't make my mind up if that's good or bad?

It's what we photographers call the Doctor Who effect.

Of course it could mean that my photographic skills have not improved over the last decade and a half? (Careful how you answer that)
Old 7 Dec 2019, 23:00 (Ref:3945446)   #635
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Bob, how do.you improve perfection?

Old 7 Dec 2019, 23:34 (Ref:3945462)   #636
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
One thing that has occurred to me recently is just how good some quite early digital cameras were even compared to the latest kit.

Certainly if you want to print an image the size of the side of a house and and study how sharp the subject matter is from about 20 cms away you probably need a very high end and large modern sensor.

But for the majority of use cases that just does not matter.

Which is why the the tiny sensors (forget the number of pixels) used by phones are perfectly adequate for probably 99% of all images shared in the world today.

And why the traditional camera market sales have been slumping for years, especially the convenience or pocket cameras.

Given good light there is probably not that much difference for practical purposes between image from 2005 and now.

Given poor light the margin of difference would be wider unless seeking an "artistic" effect - in which case just about anything goes of could be made persuasive as "art" rather than, say, a dodgy, out of focus panning shot that digital manipulation has allowed to become 'interesting'.

Nice pics Bob. Thanks for taking the time to dig them out of the archives.
Old 8 Dec 2019, 02:32 (Ref:3945487)   #637
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
You are kidding right, take your iPhone to a track and try and take action photos of this quality and you will quickly appreciate just how good Bauble's picture are grantp.
Old 8 Dec 2019, 06:33 (Ref:3945513)   #638
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Whatever the subject, pixels, weather, what you like, you still need a human behind the lens. A matter of pro. And its not because you are a good car photographer that you can picture horses.
Re the hardware, I find the new action cams like GoPro absolutely fantastic. We found on board videos taken fifteen years ago with the best Sony camera available, seen today the film is horrible.
Old 8 Dec 2019, 06:52 (Ref:3945515)   #639
midgetman
Veteran

I've seen pro TV crews at work using GoPros and kit available in any High Street. That speaks volumes to me.

The driver behind the rise of the camera phone is the ability to upload to the chosen platform within seconds. Just like I did yesterday with the pictures of Will.

Old 8 Dec 2019, 07:11 (Ref:3945516)   #640
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I've seen pro TV crews at work using GoPros and kit available in any High Street. Mee too, became common but not for long shots.
Old 8 Dec 2019, 08:33 (Ref:3945521)   #641
bauble
Veteran

England
It would be a lie if I said I was not lapping up the nice comments, but I am somewhat surprised by them, as my equipment (photographic equipment - Viva!) is rather modest when compared with the massive lens I see beside me on the banks. My first Canon was a Christmas present, my second a 500D second hand, as is my current 7D.
Before posting the older images I run them through a more up-to-date enhancing process which improves the quality. Having such a large number of images, I am pleased that they are at last being seen. I am hoping that someone will say; "Ooh! That's me.".
Attached Thumbnails
101ret.jpg   106.JPG   111.JPG  

118.JPG   122.JPG   HSCC May 180.JPG  

Old 8 Dec 2019, 08:38 (Ref:3945522)   #642
bauble
Veteran

England
"Ooh! That's me" If so will you admit it?
Attached Thumbnails
HSCC May 318.JPG   HSCC May 319.JPG   HSCC May 320.JPG  

HSCC May 321.JPG   HSCC May 322.JPG   HSCC May 323.JPG  

Old 8 Dec 2019, 08:41 (Ref:3945523)   #643
bauble
Veteran

England
And a few more from the same meeting, proper club racing.
Attached Thumbnails
HSCC May 222.JPG   HSCC May 224.JPG   HSCC May 244.JPG  

HSCC May 267.JPG   HSCC May 288.JPG   HSCC May 298.JPG  

Old 8 Dec 2019, 08:52 (Ref:3945524)   #644
midgetman
Veteran

I look at those F1/F5000 cars and I too wish I could say "Ooh that's me"!

Old 8 Dec 2019, 09:55 (Ref:3945526)   #645
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I look at those F1/F5000 cars and I too wish I could say "Ooh that's me"!

Ugly brutes, I wish this were me;
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7103.JPG   IMG_7108 (2).JPG   IMG_7111.JPG  

IMG_7114.JPG   IMG_7201.JPG   IMG_7164.JPG  

Old 8 Dec 2019, 10:08 (Ref:3945529)   #646
bauble
Veteran

England
Or these. Would do nicely.
Attached Thumbnails
V1.JPG   V2.JPG   V4.JPG  

V5.JPG   V7.jpg   V3.JPG  

Old 8 Dec 2019, 10:38 (Ref:3945535)   #647
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I would be happy in any of them.
Old 8 Dec 2019, 11:27 (Ref:3945540)   #648
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Ugly brutes, now? OOOh, that's not me! I see no 250 F, but why??? Isn't it your favorite, Mister Bob?
Old 8 Dec 2019, 12:11 (Ref:3945557)   #649
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
You are kidding right, take your iPhone to a track and try and take action photos of this quality and you will quickly appreciate just how good Bauble's picture are grantp.
That was not my point though. The majority of photo takers never or very rarely try action shots unless its video. Even if they do it's more likely to be a person moving at much slower pace than a car.

That said a friend of mine with a not very impressive smartphone by modern standards and a fairly average camera (to be polite about it) took a track side shot of a steam train passing at about 50-60mph an a dull and dark day.

The result was a fairly unpleasantly small jpg file that nevertheless looked reasonable, as a memory of the activity, on his phone.

With a little additional editing work I managed to stretch it to an A4 (with borders) sized print that looked OK viewed at a typical viewing distance - which was all he wanted.

I'm well aware of what it takes produce action shots and especially motor sport based action shots.

But the point that struck me was that Bob's older Canon 350D images do indeed look good today despite the 15 years of development in digital camera technology that influences modern opinion - especially amongst groups of photographers and most especially those in the groups that are always seeking an edge, commercial or otherwise, by upgrading to the latest and greatest kit.

I bought my first digital camera back in 1999. It was amongst the best available at anywhere near a sensible price at the time. (I think it was listed at £1000 but was an outgoing model after 6 months, the new model having a few more pixels) and was discounted to £500.

It was an interesting plaything but was rubbish. I still have it somewhere.

By 2005 I was still using film for SLRs but by then had a a small pocket digital camera for travelling. Not bad but only 2Mpix. Not an action camera but I think it could do video though limited.

A year or so later I bought a Canon 400D (the one after Bob's 2005 Classic shots camera) and immediately abandoned film.

Somewhere in that period I picked up a few other camera devices for different purposes most of which I used for relatively short periods of time.

The primary use for some of them was taking action shots of cars.

Others were generally unsuitable for the task, though one often saw people using similar equipment anyway. If they were happy that was fine.

Mentioning iphones, at the Monaco Historique back in iirc 2012, I saw a fully accredited media crew that seemed to consist of 3 or 4 teenagers and an iphone keeping themselves very busy.

Of course Monaco has its own rather unique potential to create opportunities that might not be possible elsewhere but nevertheless the point is it's not impossible to create at least decent action shots from relatively lowly kit and skills. Just not easy to do so reliably and in large volumes and using the full potential for photographic composition that pukka cameras provide.

That said with in-device or external digital editing features, the majority of viewers (across all image categories, not just motor sport) would probably not be able to tell the difference and nor would they care much if they could.

Just my opinion of course.
Old 8 Dec 2019, 12:23 (Ref:3945560)   #650
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Whatever Bob has been using, his pictures are just cracking, and I look forward to seeing a lot more of his endeavours.