Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Jul 2012, 09:32 (Ref:3107497)   #51
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
That should be the case...

But Hamilton ?
Think money. That's all his managers do. Who other than his current team would be prepared to meet his demands?

Red Bull is out, Ferrari unlikely, Williams haven't got it, Mercedes are probably too transparent to their shareholders to spend that sort of sum when there is budding German talent available. Lotus? would mean giving up on either Kimi or a prodigious talent in the other seat?

I'm sure he'll stay put but it would be far more fun if he didn't!
Old 17 Jul 2012, 19:03 (Ref:3107677)   #52
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
Huge outside chance of a Ferrari seat, perhaps..? Or is that just crazy talk?
Crazy talk I think. As great as Heikki has been recently, I think the top teams will always be a bit wary of him given how poor he was at McLaren.
Old 18 Jul 2012, 16:51 (Ref:3108075)   #53
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-matt View Post
Crazy talk I think. As great as Heikki has been recently, I think the top teams will always be a bit wary of him given how poor he was at McLaren.
To be fair, I think he was underdone when he arrived at McLaren. The time he spent there and now at Lotus/Caterham should put him in a better position next time.
Old 18 Jul 2012, 17:17 (Ref:3108082)   #54
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think Heikki really deserves a seat in any of the top teams, there are too many top drivers and I think he's already had his chance.
He'd been in the sport the same amount of time as Hamilton in 2008, yet Hamilton won the championship and Heikki could only manage five top 4 finishing positions in one of the best cars that season.

I think he might move up the grid eventually but only to Force India or maybe Lotus. If any of the experienced drivers at the back deserve a shot in a better car it has to be Glock as he was beginning to shine in the Toyota back in 2009 and would have probably outscored Trulli if it wasn't for his crash at Japan.
Old 19 Jul 2012, 05:29 (Ref:3108366)   #55
raymondu999
Rookie

raymondu999 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe Heikki ousts his fellow Finn from the Lotus?
Old 19 Jul 2012, 09:33 (Ref:3108453)   #56
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yeah Heikki could - what are they paying Raikkonen this year? I bet it's a lot. And Grosjean has outshone Kimi at most races this year. I can't imagine Heikki at his very best would come close to Kimi at his best, though. And I was a big Heikki fan until he completely failed against Hamilton.

I definitely don't want to see Massa at Ferrari for another year. Sure he's been a bit closer to Alonso at a couple races recently, but he still got beaten. When's the last time Massa was genuinely faster than Alonso in a race? 2 or 3 years? I don't think there's any team in F1 that would have one driver ALWAYS faster than the other.

It's interesting that there's so many solid drivers in F1, just out of F1 like Jaime and in the feeders Gp3/Gp2/WSR. They need the bottom 3 teams to join the midfield so there's more room for better young drivers to get some results.

Guys like Bottas, Calado, Bianchi, Bird, Stanaway, Evans, even Da Costa have tonnes of potential, but there's no room in F1 for them!

Re Verge; he should have picked up 7th at Monaco if his team didn't screw him over. That would have trumped any of Dan's results. But either one of them still have potential, I want to see them both at TR for at least another year. Then one of them to RB in 2014. I think with time they'll both prove to be in another league to Jaime and Buemi.

I'd be amazed if Vettel went to Ferrari, pretty stupid move if you want to carry on winning in the short term. Stick with Newey. I bet if does leave RB, Hamilton will replace him at that point at RB.

I don't see Hamilton at Ferrari either. He's better off at McLaren. I think only Ferrari, Red Bull and Lotus on a good day are faster than McLaren at the moment. Mercedes, William... they might have won races, but they've been slow at a number of races this year. And Sauber's definitely not faster than McLaren, it's just showed good consistency on it's tyres at times. McLaren is inconsistent, poor in some races but fast in others - Hamilton had every beat at Canada, his car was much kinder on it's tyres than Red Bull.

I actually want to see Pirelli bring that hard tyre and bring the end to the extreme tyre management. That way we can finally see the fastest car at the front, not the best on it's tyres. We might see a lot more of Lotus and Mercedes at the front, less of Alonso :P
Old 19 Jul 2012, 09:38 (Ref:3108456)   #57
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau1 View Post
I don't think Heikki really deserves a seat in any of the top teams, there are too many top drivers and I think he's already had his chance.
He'd been in the sport the same amount of time as Hamilton in 2008, yet Hamilton won the championship and Heikki could only manage five top 4 finishing positions in one of the best cars that season.

I think he might move up the grid eventually but only to Force India or maybe Lotus. If any of the experienced drivers at the back deserve a shot in a better car it has to be Glock as he was beginning to shine in the Toyota back in 2009 and would have probably outscored Trulli if it wasn't for his crash at Japan.
I agree. Heikki has really benefited from the Pro-PR drivel that's been pumping out of Caterham/Team Lotus over the last 3 years. The team has pretty much acted as a PR machine for him over this period. But, he's outpaced both Trulli and Petrov, who are both reasonably quick pedalers. He won't get into a front-line seat again I'm sure, due to McLaren, but agree he'll find a team somewhere in the middle.

Glock sadly I think is doomed to be pedaling that Marussia for as long as they stay-around. If Marussia were as OTT with their PR as the team in green, he'd probably be more noticed, but sadly he kinda makes up the numbers now.

He wasn't a mile off the Caterham at Silverstone - his fastest lap was also quicker than Heikki's, despite pitting at similar intervals. Just got to hope that the Russian GP, being forced to change engine suppliers, and Pat Symonds joining full time in 2013 will have a positive affect to push the team closer to the pack...
Old 20 Jul 2012, 04:56 (Ref:3108877)   #58
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Heikki didn't cover himself in glory while at McLaren, thats for sure, but i'm convinced that the team didn't help him out either. He was a late draft after the Fernando fiasco but the teams sole focus was on Lewis. I went to Silverstone in 2008 and 2009 and McLaren didn't do any Heikki merchandice at all, whilst there was loads of Hamilton stuff, thats how much the team got behind him and i think ultimately, that got to him.

but he's older and wiser now, with bags more experience. He'd do alot better at a top team second time round.
Old 20 Jul 2012, 06:36 (Ref:3108887)   #59
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not doubting he would do better in a top team now. I'm just saying that I don't think he'll be given a chance now.
Old 20 Jul 2012, 09:44 (Ref:3108939)   #60
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Kimi Räikkönen is leaving F1 series?.. Kimi has been told that if he does not win the world championship two Lotus-season, so after his return to rallies. The agreement the Lotus team with expires after the 2013 season.
Old 20 Jul 2012, 10:48 (Ref:3108976)   #61
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Heikki might do well at a top team, V, but will he get the chance? Long que of drivers who fight that same description...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 20 Jul 2012, 15:39 (Ref:3109094)   #62
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I'm not doubting he would do better in a top team now. I'm just saying that I don't think he'll be given a chance now.
Agreed.

It was mentioned during the free practice 2 coverage on Sky that Heikki and his management were asked about rumours that he'd been talking to Ferrari and he simply replied "no comment". I personally don't think it will happen either, his 2 seasons at McLaren could make him a "risk" at a top team, although i'm convinced he'd handle it alot better, but there are too many young prospects catching the eye of the big four and other than Ferrari what other top 4 seat is available? None !

I think Perez to Ferrari, Heikki to Sauber would be more likely.
Old 20 Jul 2012, 22:33 (Ref:3109270)   #63
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Kovi would surely be faster than Massa. I do think Hamilton's best 2 seasons to date were his first 2 alongside Kovi, considering he was a rookie in that first year. He hasn't been as strong since considering by 2009 he was ALMOST a double world champion. Two many mistakes.

If I were Ferrari, I'd be replacing Massa with Perez.

Re Schumacher, I think this just about says it all about his plans for next year:

“I came into Formula 1 with Mercedes (in 2010), hoping to win races and maybe even the championship if all went well,” Schumacher told reporters at Hockenheim. “We all know how things have gone..."

I don't think he'll be under any illusions that Mercedes will suddenly become the front runner next season - not with RB and the likes of Alonso and Hamilton both in strong cars. Schumacher will only be out there collecting podiums at best next season.
Old 21 Jul 2012, 01:56 (Ref:3109322)   #64
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post
I do think Hamilton's best 2 seasons to date were his first 2 alongside Kovi, considering he was a rookie in that first year.
Surely you mean his first season alongside Fernando?
Old 21 Jul 2012, 15:09 (Ref:3109479)   #65
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I think Heikki to Ferrari makes a certain amount of sense for Ferrari - and Heikki. He would make an excellent number two, and I think he would be far less affected by team decisions or poor car performance than Massa has been recently.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 21 Jul 2012, 22:59 (Ref:3109580)   #66
Mr V
Veteran

England
Heikki out qualified his team mate by a second today. Its things like that that are likely to attract the attention of the other team managers.
Old 23 Jul 2012, 09:53 (Ref:3110222)   #67
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A place at the prancing horse might be a bit of a long shot for Heikki but what about a place at Grove where 2 drivers are not getting the results the car deserves.
Old 23 Jul 2012, 10:36 (Ref:3110239)   #68
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
A place at the prancing horse might be a bit of a long shot for Heikki but what about a place at Grove where 2 drivers are not getting the results the car deserves.
It's a shame for a once great team like Williams, but i think any candidate for the seat must have some sponsership to bring. Not sure that Heikki brings that?
Old 23 Jul 2012, 11:53 (Ref:3110270)   #69
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
It's a shame for a once great team like Williams, but i think any candidate for the seat must have some sponsership to bring. Not sure that Heikki brings that?
I agree, especially as they now have shareholders to answer to, I can't see them paying a driver whilst there's all that pay driver funding available. Not unless they are absolutely sure the car is a title challenger, when they might prefer talent over sponsorship.

I'm not sure that's the case right now.
Old 23 Jul 2012, 11:58 (Ref:3110277)   #70
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i think considering they've invested 2 years in developing bottas they're far more likely to put him in the car than go for (and pay for) a safe pair of hands like heikki.
Old 23 Jul 2012, 16:18 (Ref:3110386)   #71
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i think considering they've invested 2 years in developing bottas they're far more likely to put him in the car than go for (and pay for) a safe pair of hands like heikki.
I may be wrong, but I think you'll find Bottas has brought sponsorship to Williams, I don't think it's a free drive.

But I agree he is more likely than anyone else to get a race seat.
Old 23 Jul 2012, 17:08 (Ref:3110411)   #72
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Has Perez fallen into disfavour or something? He's a shoe-in for that seat. Ferrari might think better of Heikki; the earlier attempt at rescuing a driver with a 2nd lease of life in a backmarker car, Fisichella, didn't turn out too well.
Old 23 Jul 2012, 17:33 (Ref:3110431)   #73
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Has Perez fallen into disfavour or something? He's a shoe-in for that seat. Ferrari might think better of Heikki; the earlier attempt at rescuing a driver with a 2nd lease of life in a backmarker car, Fisichella, didn't turn out too well.
?

Where to ?
Old 23 Jul 2012, 18:28 (Ref:3110455)   #74
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio Galtieri View Post
I may be wrong, but I think you'll find Bottas has brought sponsorship to Williams, I don't think it's a free drive.

But I agree he is more likely than anyone else to get a race seat.
i didn't say he hadn't brought money, just that they've invested time and effort into having him as their spare driver. regardless of that they still could have happily taken someone with a bigger wedge and a bit less talent - there's plenty of them throwing it around in gp2 at the moment.

there's a piece on him on the autosport site at the moment that's worth a read, for anyone with a subscription.
Old 6 Aug 2012, 12:54 (Ref:3116646)   #75
m355y
Racer

m355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting the comments about Vergne. I've felt he's struggled a lot this season. Neither him or Ricciardo have really impressed - Ricciardo has shown the outright pace to trouble the top ten in qualifying on occasion but always seems to drift backwards in the race, Vergne seems to have a major problem with outright pace in qualifying but seems to be able to piece together a stronger race.

Buemi and Alguersuari were both scoring regular points last season, qualifying in the top ten and I do honestly think either would be good drivers for other teams. But it's like Red Bull were spoiled a bit by Vettel; neither of them have won a race or stood on a podium in two full seasons together, so they're expendable.

Careful what you wish for.