Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 13 Jan 2005, 21:44 (Ref:1200275)   #101
noodles
Rookie

noodles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tony Edmondson bought into Elfin Sports Cars in the mid 80s (along with Don Elliott, who Tony drove for in the early 80s, driving Don's K&A Engineering-built Alfetta Chev sports sedan). I believe they sold out of Elfin by the end of the 80s. Since then, no idea.
Old 13 Jan 2005, 21:49 (Ref:1200278)   #102
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Are we sure about Jamie McHugh??
Old 13 Jan 2005, 23:40 (Ref:1200362)   #103
Crowestar
Racer

Australia
Crowestar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcadore
The last time I recall George Fury competing was in early 1990 when he was offered the drive in someone else's Galant VR4 and promptly won the opening two rounds of the Australian Rally Championship. Then the car was sold. Shame.
He also drove in the 1990 Bathurst 1000 is one of Glenn Seton's cars. #30 from memory
Old 13 Jan 2005, 23:49 (Ref:1200370)   #104
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
George was still under contract with Nissan for 1990, but when they cut back to running 2 cars, Fury was the one left on the sidelines, although his contract did allow him to go rallying. However, once Nissan decided they were only going to run one car in the enduros, they released George from his contract and he signed up with Glenn in time to race at Oran Park in the final ATCC round. They then won the Sandown 500 together, but ran in seperate cars at Bathurst and Eastern Creek.

George also did the first couple of James Hardie 12 Hours in a Galant VR-4, run I think by a rally team? I think George Shepherd was involved?
Old 14 Jan 2005, 03:00 (Ref:1200490)   #105
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Dale Jr
George was still under contract with Nissan for 1990, but when they cut back to running 2 cars, Fury was the one left on the sidelines, although his contract did allow him to go rallying. However, once Nissan decided they were only going to run one car in the enduros, they released George from his contract and he signed up with Glenn in time to race at Oran Park in the final ATCC round. They then won the Sandown 500 together, but ran in seperate cars at Bathurst and Eastern Creek.

George also did the first couple of James Hardie 12 Hours in a Galant VR-4, run I think by a rally team? I think George Shepherd was involved?
The Bathurst Galant VR4 was owned and run by Bathurst's own Rod Jones IIRC, but I think it was just 1991. And maybe those rallies were in '91, as I remember Fury rallying after he finished with Group A. He certainly would not have been racing in Mitsubishis while still contracted to Nissan.
Old 14 Jan 2005, 11:33 (Ref:1200762)   #106
simon5574
Rookie

simon5574 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Someone mentioned Rohan Onslow earlier in the piece. What did happen to him?

Last i remember he was partnering Mark Gibbs in the GIO Godzilla and won the Sandown 500 when Fred Gibson decided not to run his cars due to concerns about the safety of the wheels on the cars after the weight limit was increased by CAMS.

Funnily enough the GIO cars were run out of Gibsons workshop and once more lapped the field on way to another demoralising GTR victory.

NISSAN GTR- I STILL WANT ONE!
Old 15 Jan 2005, 02:39 (Ref:1201348)   #107
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The Bathurst Galant VR4 was owned and run by Bathurst's own Rod Jones IIRC, but I think it was just 1991. And maybe those rallies were in '91, as I remember Fury rallying after he finished with Group A. He certainly would not have been racing in Mitsubishis while still contracted to Nissan.
He definatly rallied in 1990, won the opening round from memory.
Old 15 Jan 2005, 03:53 (Ref:1201369)   #108
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was the first two rounds - because I remember thinking it was a championship gone beggin that year.
Old 15 Jan 2005, 05:14 (Ref:1201389)   #109
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sponsored by Spitwater high pressure water guns....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 15 Jan 2005, 07:22 (Ref:1201433)   #110
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Still running Phoenix Motorsport with a fingers in a few pies about the place, I think he had a hand in the Searle & Miller V8Supercar Commodores.
Also ran the Jay Verdnik car in this years Konica Minolta series.
Old 15 Jan 2005, 08:41 (Ref:1201450)   #111
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GAZ170 and KRYPTO71 you asked about Gary Willmington and Darren Pate. Gary is manager at Wakefield aprk and competed in last year's Touring Car Challenge and I saw Darren yesterday and he's tied up running his Dad's smash repair business in Kingswood NSW and has no plans to return to racing.
Old 15 Jan 2005, 09:38 (Ref:1201459)   #112
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
What ever happen to Bob Morris, I can recall he drove the pace car at Bathurst a few years ago. Does have an intrest in Bob Morris Air Cond in the southern suburbs of Sydney.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 15 Jan 2005, 11:17 (Ref:1201497)   #113
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Bob Morris was inducted into the Australian Touring Car Hall of Fame this year at the V8Supercar awards dinner. I believe he lives in the Kangaroo Valley area. A band "Trout Fishing in Quebec" had a song on their CD "Pi$$ing into the wind" called Bob Morris, and yes it is about him!
Old 15 Jan 2005, 11:19 (Ref:1201498)   #114
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
The same CD has a somng titled Ayrton Senna, and one called Barry Bolwell, about one of the fibreglass ford powered things!
Old 15 Jan 2005, 12:03 (Ref:1201505)   #115
fordlover
Racer

Australia
Brisbane, AUstralia
fordlover should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what happened to david auger??

i work in a small shopping center (more like corner store) and it is owned by a David Auger, i am curious to see if it is the same guy, he also owns a Gun shop i think (that's what the christmas card said anyway).

what about Robby Fracevic (SP??)
Old 16 Jan 2005, 04:21 (Ref:1201978)   #116
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Auger was racing in Malaysia/Asia after the ASTC passed away, i'm not sure whether he still is nowadays though.

Robbie Francevic still races in New Zealand, he drives a Pontiac GTO in the Central Muscle Car series (exact name escapes me at the moment). There was a feature on this class in AMC a few months back, and another one in the latest edition.
Old 16 Jan 2005, 04:48 (Ref:1201986)   #117
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
John Bundy - of EPA Unleaded RX-7 fame - or should that be infamy?
Old 16 Jan 2005, 06:19 (Ref:1202003)   #118
krypto71
Racer

krypto71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Towe
GAZ170 and KRYPTO71 you asked about Gary Willmington and Darren Pate. Gary is manager at Wakefield aprk and competed in last year's Touring Car Challenge and I saw Darren yesterday and he's tied up running his Dad's smash repair business in Kingswood NSW and has no plans to return to racing.
Cheers David, I really liked the Rothmans F1 coloured FHolden which I think Darren drove some time in the mid 90's. Shame he isn't still racing today. IIRC, I think he was involved in that huge pileup at the top of the mountain in 98, I sure hope that day didn't contribute to him not racing now...
Old 16 Jan 2005, 07:06 (Ref:1202014)   #119
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez
Faded back into the mystery from whence he came... I understood he may be an executive for a lift company....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 16 Jan 2005, 07:13 (Ref:1202017)   #120
Steve Holmes
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Steve Holmes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
Auger was racing in Malaysia/Asia after the ASTC passed away, i'm not sure whether he still is nowadays though.

Robbie Francevic still races in New Zealand, he drives a Pontiac GTO in the Central Muscle Car series (exact name escapes me at the moment). There was a feature on this class in AMC a few months back, and another one in the latest edition.
racer69, thanks for the free plug! Yes, Francevic has done a couple of races with CMC. His GTO has about 700hp, on road tyres!!! He actually uses it mainly for Targa style events. Its road registered, 8,500cc!
Old 16 Jan 2005, 07:50 (Ref:1202024)   #121
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez
JB was quick in his Cleanaway RX3 in 1979.
Old 16 Jan 2005, 09:44 (Ref:1202070)   #122
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Central Muscle Car Series = Super GT??
Old 16 Jan 2005, 17:43 (Ref:1202341)   #123
Steve Holmes
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Steve Holmes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JDI, no they're two different classes. Super GT features late model turbo Porsches, etc, plus Mitsi Evos, WRXs, and there are a few classic V8s in there too.

Central Muscle Cars is for pre 1984 six cylinder and V8 touring and sports cars, front engined, normally aspirated. Monaros, Camaros, Mustangs, Corvettes, Falcons, Commodores etc. Check it out:

http://www.centralmusclecars.co.nz
Old 16 Jan 2005, 20:16 (Ref:1202467)   #124
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well you learn something everyday. It is a problem when these club classes get lost in the noise of a sport that runs 300+ classes
Old 16 Jan 2005, 22:07 (Ref:1202553)   #125
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSR
What ever happen to Bob Morris, I can recall he drove the pace car at Bathurst a few years ago. Does have an intrest in Bob Morris Air Cond in the southern suburbs of Sydney.
Sold many years ago (1970's or 80's IIRC) to a guy who's son I went to school with. Not sure if this person still owns it or has sold it since.