Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Oct 2003, 00:55 (Ref:758902)   #1
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Qualifier of the year?

It's out of Webber and Alonso. My choice would be Webber, because of the machinery he did it in. Pity about the lack of race pace for the Jag.
Old 22 Oct 2003, 00:59 (Ref:758904)   #2
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know i'm bias but i agree as Webber was outstanding in qualifying this year having the Jaguar up higher on the grid than anyone expected.
Old 22 Oct 2003, 01:30 (Ref:758911)   #3
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Qualifying as in the Friday setup for the Saturday single runs or the Saturday single runs??

Webber probably wins the first bit, but not the second...

Surely the Friday Pole for Minardi win them some kudos
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 22 Oct 2003, 01:51 (Ref:758925)   #4
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Pity Friday pole for Minardi reversed on that Saturday. Hmmm Verstappen was on pole that rainy Friday in France.... another JV forum topic coming up????
Old 22 Oct 2003, 02:39 (Ref:758956)   #5
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
If it had to be narrowed down to one performance of the year, then i'd say Alonso at Maylasia, yer, he was running light, but he was also very ill that weekend and along with Hungary (which admittidly suited the Renault) makes him my personal qualifier of the year.

4th place on the grid,at Canada, with a full load that made him the last driver to come in for a pit-stop (of the big boys at least) was also very impressive.
Old 22 Oct 2003, 02:44 (Ref:758959)   #6
Zinger
Racer

Zinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I sat Webber because he was along way ahead of his team mateeach time. Alonso was too but had a fewer rear of grid starts.
Old 22 Oct 2003, 03:01 (Ref:758965)   #7
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who cares? They were running variable fuel loads, and wiht the new rules, qualifying wasn't so important as the overall race strategy.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 22 Oct 2003, 04:54 (Ref:759004)   #8
Skam85
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay
Who cares? They were running variable fuel loads, and wiht the new rules, qualifying wasn't so important as the overall race strategy.

So, if to say Verstappen ran heavy in Saturday qualifying, and he quailfyed dead last, and then went on to finish dead last-strategy counted??

Or if Schumi decided to go heavy in Monaco, or if he made a mistake??

Qualifying DOES matter.
Old 22 Oct 2003, 05:06 (Ref:759006)   #9
pb btcc
Veteran

pb btcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i will have to say Both Alonso poles as there both came from no where as he wasn't doing anything special before the main Quilfying.
Old 22 Oct 2003, 08:12 (Ref:759128)   #10
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would say Kimi, but if it werent for his Australia, Spain and Canada qualifying blunders....which, also cost him the championship.

I have to say, i was suprised, and stunned by his USA performance, with the pole lap which, well, god knows where he pulled that from, to take up the title challenge, when everyone thought there was no more speed to be had from that McLaren. Not to mention the fact that he was practically the last to pit out of the top guys, and possibly the top 10 guys.
Old 22 Oct 2003, 08:24 (Ref:759137)   #11
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From a pure speed point of view, I agree with Jay that friday is the day.
Thus my vote is for Trulli, always the best when the result is useless.
Old 22 Oct 2003, 09:06 (Ref:759189)   #12
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And of course, Webber with the car not supposed to be that far up the grid............but who care what i have to say!

Woohoo! 700!
Old 22 Oct 2003, 09:51 (Ref:759228)   #13
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Trulli - he's quick in qualifying year in year out (remember the Jordan and Prost he dragged around by the scruff of their necks?).
Old 22 Oct 2003, 11:23 (Ref:759319)   #14
Redblurr
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redblurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The one I enjoyed most was Monza Schumi V JPM in qually 2.
As someone mentioned variable fuel loads and weather conditions difficult to know what to make of it really.
Old 22 Oct 2003, 11:34 (Ref:759331)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Webber had a quite a few good efforts on Friday, and one or two on Saturday.

Alonso's poles were good as was Trulli on Friday. In fact best qualifying team mates of the year could be Renault's.

Kimi in Indy was fantastic, but as twig says there were a few mistakes too. However this is what he had to do to try and get that McLaren at the front.

Other than that I'm not sure. BAR had a few good Fridays.

My single performance would go to Kimi. Over the season, er, Webber or Alonso.
Old 22 Oct 2003, 14:01 (Ref:759569)   #16
MrBluesman1
Retired
Racer

MrBluesman1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Kimi and Alonso were about even for the year, both made mistakes and both bagged pole twice from nowhere. But qualifier of the year for me anyway is hard to say. I guess Barrichello as he was always up there or there abouts.
Old 22 Oct 2003, 16:07 (Ref:759719)   #17
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
if you mean the lap of the year then Id say TGF at MONZA! championship wise he really pulled something out of the bag with that lap!!

The best QULY driver has to be WEBBER!! fantastic speed
Old 25 Oct 2003, 11:59 (Ref:762599)   #18
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
yeap .. best lap in quali goes to Schu in Monza . expecially coming after hungaroring

Ciao Marco
Old 27 Oct 2003, 19:05 (Ref:764903)   #19
beau
Racer

beau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lap of the Year M.S,great come back from Hungary
Qualifier of the year Trulli,good quali from him shame about the races.
Old 27 Oct 2003, 21:28 (Ref:765052)   #20
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Webber. He was always quick on the Friday and could usually follow it up on the Saturday.
Old 28 Oct 2003, 13:03 (Ref:765686)   #21
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Webber no doubting it