Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 3 Mar 2013, 00:27 (Ref:3213417)   #46
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!
Now that I can see the pit ente and the wall clearer, the entry is fine.

THe exit though, I have an issue with as a straight on accident has to cross the pit exit at pretty much 90 degrees before getting to the gravel. A car coming around the pit wall would be hit broadside.

I'd move the gravel in to join the runoff, continue the pit wall around the corner outside the gravel for a bit, before bringing the exit lane back to track, possibly the gravel doesn't need to be quite as long, so the rejoin point wouldn't be that far away from where it is now.
Old 3 Mar 2013, 23:57 (Ref:3213861)   #47
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
SKG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
Now that I can see the pit ente and the wall clearer, the entry is fine.

THe exit though, I have an issue with as a straight on accident has to cross the pit exit at pretty much 90 degrees before getting to the gravel. A car coming around the pit wall would be hit broadside.

I'd move the gravel in to join the runoff, continue the pit wall around the corner outside the gravel for a bit, before bringing the exit lane back to track, possibly the gravel doesn't need to be quite as long, so the rejoin point wouldn't be that far away from where it is now.
Good shout. Adjusted now. I will show the karting circuit tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
17 pit exit detail new.png  
Old 4 Mar 2013, 00:21 (Ref:3213869)   #48
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!
Yeah that's much better.
Old 9 Apr 2013, 16:10 (Ref:3231541)   #49
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKGThunder View Post
I will show the karting circuit tomorrow.
Well, that was a long 24 hours. Oh well, here we go!

*DISCLAIMER* I know little to nothing about karting track design, but it looked fun and I gave it a go...

1. The Grid and paddock (if you could call it that). I wish I'd left more space in the infield for the paddock, it seems a bit cramped. Space for parking, a workshop and a few admin buildings. There is a bit of space for awnings for teams etc..

2. The first chicane. This would be bypassed on the first lap to avoid tangles. (I know this is done at other tracks, right?)

3. A fast right hander into the 2nd chicane. I like the flow of this part of the circuit.

4. The third chicane. Optional, advisable, since entry speeds into the following fast right hander close to the wall could be considered dangerous.

5. The right hander under the bridge. You need to get as close to the wall as possible to ensure the best line into the last all-important sequence of corners.

6. The final turns. Precision is needed to make sure you get the best exit possible to carry speed onto the start/finish straight.

You may have noticed roads branching off from the course, these add variation and customization of circuit configuration (!) but I won't go into these now

What do you think? Like I said, this was fun to do but I know there will be things wrong with the design, so please share your thoughts! Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
(1) 17 karting Grid and paddock.png   (2) 17 karting 1st chicane.png   (3) 17 karting top turn and 2nd chicane.png  

(4) 17 karting 3rd chicane.png   (5) 17 karting under the bridge.png   (6) 17 karting final turns.png  

Old 9 Apr 2013, 16:11 (Ref:3231542)   #50
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Oh, and sorry for the bad picture quality.

Also, there's been a lot of activity since I was last on, I'm looking forward to having a look through to see what everyone's been up to! Here's a plan view, its the loop in the middle
Attached Thumbnails
17 karting.png  
Old 10 Apr 2013, 09:43 (Ref:3231874)   #51
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great. Nothing to complain about really.
Old 12 Apr 2013, 16:47 (Ref:3233015)   #52
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
here we go.

Here's another "overhaul" project, upgrading a vintage circuit with modern design trends and safety standards. (Runs anti-clockwise, 3.8km Grand Prix circuit, longest straight 890m)

The first sector layout remains unchanged, with added run-off at the first turn. The first big change comes at the new turns 4,5,6 complex. This change was made to the circuit for 2 reasons, to slow down the the fast left hander onto the long back straight, but also to help create another overtaking opportunity (into the new turn 4).

Another change has been made at the end of the back straight for the same reasons that complex was added, to slow down the kink and the end of the straight and to create a spot for overtaking. Slowing down the run onto the back straight should also aid passing.

The final chicane was added purely for safety concerns, since the start of the pitwall is dangerously close to the exit of the final corner if the cars were coming through at high speeds.

Lemme know what you think!
Attached Thumbnails
18 gp.png   18 classic.png   18 complex.jpg  

18 pit entry.png   18 plan.png  
Old 12 Apr 2013, 21:54 (Ref:3233137)   #53
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another great one.

I especially like the section with those blue-white kerbs. That's great.

bio
Old 13 Apr 2013, 00:38 (Ref:3233201)   #54
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
I'm liking this one for the most part,

Like your previous one, you need to be a little careful regarding the pit exit.

The long back stretch needs breaking up as you have done, but this comparison with a real life circuit isn't favourable in that it reminds me of one of the Mickey Mouse combinations from the Indianapolis infield.
THere is space for different things, perhaps some really face Esses testing direction change and stability.

The chicane at the end of the back section doesn't really need to be more than 90 degrees but, it works well as you have it so no real arguments about that.

The last change I'd make, would be to move the final chicane up a bit and have the exit lead onto the S/F straight

It looks like a lot written down but really just minor adjustments that for me would make a good track even better.
Old 13 Apr 2013, 11:02 (Ref:3233355)   #55
bio
Veteran

Hungary
SBF,
funny - I think it's that "Mickey mouse" section that really makes this track.

In fact, I'm considering asking the creator's permission to recreate this one for rFactor. Seems like something that most definitely needs some "real" testing.

bio
Old 13 Apr 2013, 12:25 (Ref:3233386)   #56
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by bio View Post
In fact, I'm considering asking the creator's permission to recreate this one for rFactor. Seems like something that most definitely needs some "real" testing.
Of course, that would be great bio!
Old 13 Apr 2013, 12:28 (Ref:3233388)   #57
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
It looks like a lot written down but really just minor adjustments that for me would make a good track even better.
Thanks for the feedback SBF. I appreciate the time you put into critiquing my designs. It is very useful to get other peoples opinions
Old 13 Apr 2013, 12:42 (Ref:3233398)   #58
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKGThunder View Post
Of course, that would be great bio!
Oh, great!

then all I need is a bit more details: track length, width and elevation details, mainly.

bio

(PS: never mind the track length, it's there in the post )

Last edited by bio; 13 Apr 2013 at 12:48.
Old 23 Apr 2013, 14:06 (Ref:3238398)   #59
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Heres a preview of the next one Im working on, theres only so much I can do on a laptop and a trackpad! I'll add details later.

Figure-of-8 circuit (obviously) with the full track length (no chicanes) came to exactly 6km. The main paddock and start finish straight is up at the most northerly point of the circuit, with the first corner being the hairpin.

There is a small support paddock (similar to the paddock before 130R at Suzuka) half way down the huge 1.3km back straight.

Various configs:

Grand prix (6km)
Grand prix with chicanes
West circuit (anti-clockwise)
East circuit (clockwise)
Attached Thumbnails
19 plan full.png   19 plan full with chicanes.png   19 plan east and west.png  

19 plan west extended.png   19 plan east extended.png   19 plan.png  

Old 23 Apr 2013, 20:21 (Ref:3238543)   #60
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is a really original, really good track. I never could do the figure 8 design but you're tempting, and inspiring me, to do so.