Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 6 Nov 2011, 21:05 (Ref:2982452)   #1
FranksWilde
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester
FranksWilde should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
seat belt expiry date

Does this stupid rule still exist. My belts have done a season and half and are immaculate but have expired. These belts don't rot. They are either fit for use or not. Why is there a date?
Old 6 Nov 2011, 21:40 (Ref:2982469)   #2
bdwoody
Veteran

United Kingdom
redbridge southampton
bdwoody should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
this has been done on several other threads. so much so that i own a test house that approves strops /chains wires ect and i will be doing a destuction test on my expired 2010 belts which are in as new condition!! i hope to video the test and put it up some place as it may be of some interest to some .... more to follow.
Old 6 Nov 2011, 21:56 (Ref:2982483)   #3
FranksWilde
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester
I take it from your comments that things are still the same. Are belts still dated to expire at year intervals? And if so, if I bought some now would I lose a whole year (ie only 2 months left)
Old 6 Nov 2011, 22:15 (Ref:2982491)   #4
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Do you not read the Blue book? This topic has been done to death elsewhere if you care to look.
Old 6 Nov 2011, 22:45 (Ref:2982502)   #5
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Yes this has been "done to death" on more than one occasion, I was in a car breakers a while back when a Rover 3.5 coupe was being picked up by the original drivers seat belt hanging out of the window, the car had to be about 40 years old. Normally it's the mounting points that fail with rot on the body and I have actually pulled seat belts out during an MOT
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 6 Nov 2011, 22:52 (Ref:2982506)   #6
FranksWilde
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester
woooo! Get you. I haven't got a recent blue book. That is why my belts have expired and i'm asking the question. If you choose to comment then why not do it in a constructive way. If you wish to get arsey do it with someone else.
Old 6 Nov 2011, 23:02 (Ref:2982513)   #7
bdwoody
Veteran

United Kingdom
redbridge southampton
frank yes they are still lifed and i would have a chat with you preferred seat belt supplier and ask them for the newest set they have to get the max time.oh and get a blue book ....lol
Old 6 Nov 2011, 23:05 (Ref:2982517)   #8
FranksWilde
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester
Can't search when in posting off my phone. Besides I anticipated it had already been covered but I thought someone might give me a straight forward reply before getting a bit shirty.
I was hoping to get back to the track next year but with the Bernard Baxter trophy coming up at the end of November I was thinking of bringing it forward. it's touch and go with money but if I will lose 12 months off my belts as well as purchasing 2 month race licence I can't manage it.
Old 6 Nov 2011, 23:07 (Ref:2982523)   #9
FranksWilde
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester
Thanks Mr Woody. Much appreciated. =)
Old 6 Nov 2011, 23:09 (Ref:2982527)   #10
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FranksWilde View Post
And if so, if I bought some now would I lose a whole year (ie only 2 months left)
Yes you would Frank. Try and borrow a set from someone who has finished his season if you can.
I'll have done with mine after next weekend and they run out at the end of the year.
PM me with your address and I'll send you this year's BB.
Old 6 Nov 2011, 23:29 (Ref:2982537)   #11
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FranksWilde View Post
woooo! Get you. I haven't got a recent blue book. That is why my belts have expired and i'm asking the question. If you choose to comment then why not do it in a constructive way. If you wish to get arsey do it with someone else.
I trust it wasn't me you was having a go at !
At this moment in time I am in exactly the same boat with out of date belts that have had very little use in the last 3 years and have a meeting next weekend !
Fortunately I have had several offers by drivers including Tim and John to lend me a set.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 6 Nov 2011, 23:52 (Ref:2982542)   #12
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
That was aimed at me Gordon. Let me know if you need them.
Old 7 Nov 2011, 09:09 (Ref:2982638)   #13
FranksWilde
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester
Back on the lap top this morning so managed to do a search and I couldn't find anything relating to my question. I don't really have the time either to trawl through all the posts (some have 2500 replies) to try and find anything relating to 'year dating'.

Thank you very much for your offer Mr JohnW it is most curtious and selfless of you to offer me your belts but alas it has become a mute point. When discussing this thread (and some of the replies) with the wife she informed me that weekend she is booked to go 'walking', am I allowed to use that word on here? with her friends that weekend. Bloody Women, she should be out working so I can go motoracing more often
Old 7 Nov 2011, 09:27 (Ref:2982646)   #14
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
I've PMd you a reply but you can find it all here probably in section K although it's not the best put together publication going.
Old 7 Nov 2011, 10:06 (Ref:2982664)   #15
FranksWilde
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester
Cheers Tim.
Old 7 Nov 2011, 21:34 (Ref:2982912)   #16
bdwoody
Veteran

United Kingdom
redbridge southampton
well we did a test on a set of 1994 belts today and found some rather interesting things out .
the rear adjusters on the shoulder straps should be adjusted to the correct length and the adjuster buckle needs to be as close to the roll cage/ anchorage hook as possible as when the tension is applied the buckel trys to tighten its self even more thus making the shoulder straps longer. we carried on with the destruction test and at 1.31 metric tons the metal adjuster snapped and flew off across the workshop !!
on the second strap we adjusted the buckel closer to the anchorage and carried on with test 2. the result was allmost identicle with a peak tonnage 0f 1.4 tons and a fail of the metal adjuster at the same point as per the pictures.

the webbing did not appear to have suffered to badly if at all during the test and they wern't the best set of belts that i have to hand. the test its self was a bit violent as when the metal buckel let go i nearly dropped my camera !!! this may be of some interest to some , maybe not , its just some thing i've wanted to try for some time to see what would happen .
http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u...=VIDEO0066.mp4

Last edited by bdwoody; 7 Nov 2011 at 21:45. Reason: no video !
Old 7 Nov 2011, 22:51 (Ref:2982943)   #17
johnw
Veteran

England
Interesting Woody, but not representative of an accident where the belts and fittings would be subjected to a sharp load.

I'd be interested in seeing the same test applied to the "hook" that most of us use to mount lap belts to eyes (and indeed shoulder belts for some) to see at what load they would unwind or straighten.

Good to hear that the webbing didn't suffer which rather gives lie to the reason for lifing them. I have somewhere a set of belts which are 20+ years old. Want to try them?
Old 7 Nov 2011, 23:49 (Ref:2982973)   #18
bdwoody
Veteran

United Kingdom
redbridge southampton
john i'd be glad to. i have some new eye bolts and end hooks that have never been used so that could be a good test . i'm racing at brands this weekend so i'll look you up.
Old 7 Nov 2011, 23:51 (Ref:2982975)   #19
johnw
Veteran

England
See you there.