Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 3 Apr 2003, 15:05 (Ref:557353)   #1
G Tanner
Racer

England
Weston-super-Mare
G Tanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has Seat lost the plot?

Reading this weeks Autosport, I was amazed to read the story in Club Autosport that the Seat Cupra championship is no longer racing at Combe in June but has switched to Oulton. The reason, not because the drivers don't like the track or the pitlane is too short or there are no Gravel Traps but, wait for it, They can't fit all their hospitality units in

Has the sport gone ever so slightly crazy?
Old 3 Apr 2003, 16:14 (Ref:557413)   #2
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
there was a slight in balance of races down south as well, not sure if that played a part. Shame (as I'm 1hr away from coombe)
Old 3 Apr 2003, 18:02 (Ref:557501)   #3
Patrick
Rookie

Patrick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is really bad news. I was looking forward to seeing the Seat's at that meeting it was gonna be a cracker, still will be a good meeting though hopefully . Does anyone know if they will get another championship to replace the Seat's?
Old 3 Apr 2003, 18:07 (Ref:557511)   #4
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
dont think so. You've got Thruxton which is down via Devizes for a fellow Brizztolian
Old 3 Apr 2003, 22:57 (Ref:557799)   #5
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Re: Has Seat lost the plot?

Quote:
Originally posted by G Tanner
Reading this weeks Autosport, I was amazed to read the story in Club Autosport that the Seat Cupra championship is no longer racing at Combe in June but has switched to Oulton. The reason, not because the drivers don't like the track or the pitlane is too short or there are no Gravel Traps but, wait for it, They can't fit all their hospitality units in

Has the sport gone ever so slightly crazy?
Whoever thought that crock of up must talk for a living.

For a start it doesn't even sound factually right. How come the British GT's, F3, Clio's et al (ex Powertour lineup) can fit in there quite happily and a bunch of Seat's can't?

Ah well, their loss. There's no doubt in my mind that Combe competes easily on pretty much all counts as one of the finest Motor Racing Circuits in the country (No slur implied or intended on Oulton). Anyone who doesn't want to race there must be off their tiny mind. If it was good enough for Ayrton Senna, Stirling Moss, David Coulthard, Damon Hill, Johnny Herbert (etcetera ad infinitum), it's good enough for a bunch of jumped up Mod Prod Saloons.

I will calm down - I'm just a bit peeved
Old 4 Apr 2003, 07:59 (Ref:558050)   #6
Garry Holmes
Racer

Garry Holmes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do hope it has something to do with the date (01/04.03) !!!!!!!!
Old 4 Apr 2003, 08:19 (Ref:558057)   #7
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Souunds like Palmer Audi all over again. A "club" championship that you need to be a company chairman to be able to afford to compete in.
Old 4 Apr 2003, 08:49 (Ref:558078)   #8
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well said Blackcr0w, just for that I shall not be considering buying a Seat this year.
Not enough space, who the hell do you think you are? - Balders
Old 4 Apr 2003, 10:14 (Ref:558130)   #9
N M Ramsden
Rookie

Wales
Portskewett, Monmouthshire
N M Ramsden should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Talking of Palmer Audi, Mr Palmer was critical of the circuit due to similar concerns about gravel traps etc. However, after a great meeting last year Mr Palmer was quoted as saying 'this place will be the first on the list next year we will defiantely be coming back!'

Surely this is some kind of wind up.

B1ackcr0w as Balders says 'well said' F3 versus Seat cup.... future F1 versus company chairman with money to burn !!!!!!
Old 4 Apr 2003, 13:19 (Ref:558300)   #10
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There's quite a few people who I am fairly sure are not company chairmen signed up.
Old 4 Apr 2003, 16:18 (Ref:558526)   #11
Hamness
Racer

Wales
Hamness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have spoken to CC in the last 5 minutes and they say that the Seats are definitely on the F3/GT meeting. Then I looked on the Cupra Championship website and CC ain't listed anymore. Who is telling porkies ? Then again, substitute the Seats for a double header CC FF1600 and the punters wont give a stuff about missing out on them. There will only be 20 of them anyway if they have managed to flog a few more seats via their pull-out advert in MN last week.
Old 4 Apr 2003, 17:00 (Ref:558564)   #12
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Originally it was on at CC. Then the Seat UK championship site got changed and it said Oulton. To confuse things even more Seat hq in spain then put out the original date.

I've spoken to a driver of the series who has confirmed that its Oulton Park
Old 4 Apr 2003, 18:41 (Ref:558647)   #13
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was gonna be negative about the series but I won't be.
Old 6 Apr 2003, 21:10 (Ref:560748)   #14
PipSqueak111
Racer

England
Deepest, darkest Devon
PipSqueak111 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Garry Holmes
I do hope it has something to do with the date (01/04.03) !!!!!!!!
Nope, it's straight up. News of this broke on www.SEATCupra.net (independent SEAT forum) who had got the news straight from the SEAT press people.

Quote:
Souunds like Palmer Audi all over again. A "club" championship that you need to be a company chairman to be able to afford to compete in.
Certainly isn't. It's really being pushed as a grass-roots leg-up. Take a look at www.SEATCupra.net and one the main News section (in the middle), you'll find lots about the championship. The second page (follow blue arrow at bottom) lists all the drivers that have signed up.

I do think it's a shame it has left Castle Combe. I was making an extra effort to marshal the F3/GT weekend at Combe especially for the SEAT Cupra championship, when I can't really afford to. Guess I won't be now

Phill