Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 17 Jun 2004, 21:39 (Ref:1007418)   #1
Greg Dex
Rookie

Greg Dex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How to become a marshal??

I have been living in England, Nottingham for 5 years and I have not as yet got off my butt and looked into becoming a marshal. I had been a marshal for 10 years in South Africa and loved every minute of it.

CAN ANYBODY GIVE ME ADVISE ON HOW TO BECOME A BRIT MARSHAL>>>>

Cheers

Greg
Old 17 Jun 2004, 21:52 (Ref:1007423)   #2
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Certainly can!

Have a look at the marshal's club website : www.marshals.co.uk, which will give you all the information you need.

I see you live in Nottingham - that makes you very handy for Donington Park.

What discipline did you have in SA?

Welcome to 10/10ths by the way (and hopefully to British marshalling!)

Sheila
Old 17 Jun 2004, 21:57 (Ref:1007429)   #3
Peter Harding
Veteran

England
Colchester
Peter Harding should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
two other sites may be helpful
www.marshals.org.uk - where you can volunteer for any meeting
www.marshalspost.com - has some good info on circuits and contacts
Old 17 Jun 2004, 21:59 (Ref:1007431)   #4
Greg Dex
Rookie

Thanks Sheila and Peter!

Last edited by Greg Dex; 17 Jun 2004 at 22:00.
Old 17 Jun 2004, 22:06 (Ref:1007435)   #5
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome Greg to 10/10ths
You say you loved every minute of your marshalling in South Africa, what even the heat and the dust?
You must be mad.
Should mean you will fit in well then.
Cadwell Park is not to far away and I know they would love to see you. (see thread)
Old 18 Jun 2004, 06:51 (Ref:1007581)   #6
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Welcome to ten-tenths Greg. The guys and gals have given you some excellent advice above so I hope you will feel able to join us at a circuit sometime this year. Nice to see another overseas marshal on the site! I have marshalled Kyalami myself a few times whilst in SA on business, a fabulous circuit, great clubhouse and extremely friendly people. I hope we 'Brits' can live up to the friendliness of your countrymen.
Old 18 Jun 2004, 11:25 (Ref:1007777)   #7
Grahame West
Racer

Scotland
Fife
Grahame West should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Greg Dex

Welcome to marshaling in the UK. Have you got any info on marshaling in South Africa? My brother lives out there and next time I go and see him I want to go marshaling in SA. Wont be until 2006 so no rush!

My usual haunt is Croft near Darlington, so if get up this far please say hello.
Old 18 Jun 2004, 11:30 (Ref:1007781)   #8
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Try the Kyalami Marshals Association and you will also need to get clearance from the MSA to marshal abroad.
Old 18 Jun 2004, 16:40 (Ref:1008073)   #9
Greg Dex
Rookie

Marshalling in South Africa

South Africa is a fantastic place to marshal...with great racing..good climate..cold beer and brilliant barbeques (braai's) you simply cannot go wrong. I have two top marshalling places:
(1) Killarney in Cape Town (Contact the Western Province Motor Club or ask for Malcolm Stuck the Chief Marshal on race days before 07h00 or after the racing)
(2) Kyalami in Johanesbury Midrand (Contact the K.M.A and ask for Blackie Swart the Chief Marshal) Also have a look at the K.M.A website: http://www.kma.org.za/main.htm.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Greg
Old 18 Jun 2004, 18:01 (Ref:1008144)   #10
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hi, Greg and welcome to England. If you fancy something different, give the hill climbs a try. You'll meet loads of members of this site, and the sport is spectacular, especially the British championship meetings. For Shelsley, Loton or Prescott, send me a PM and we'll discuss.
Old 27 Jun 2004, 07:21 (Ref:1017206)   #11
Vicki
Veteran

England
Stoke
Vicki should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVicki should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is there ANYTHING a girl with poor eyesight can do in motorsport? I may not be able to drive and I really wanna do something in motorsport, so I thought this might be the best place to ask. About the driving thing, I suppose I could carpool. I'm only 14 but I'm looking for answers! Thanks in advance.
Old 27 Jun 2004, 09:40 (Ref:1017275)   #12
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by FerrariFanatic
Is there ANYTHING a girl with poor eyesight can do in motorsport?
Plenty!

As you've asked in the marshals' forum, I assume that you would be interested in marshalling? You're too young to go trackside, but you can do jobs such as paddock & assembly area.

Which is your 'local' circuit? Wherever it is, I'm sure there are some of the regulars around here who will be only too happy to give you advice & assistance.
Old 27 Jun 2004, 09:44 (Ref:1017276)   #13
Vicki
Veteran

England
Stoke
Vicki should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVicki should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thank you Dave. This is going to sound really thick, because I call myself a racing fan, but can you please tell me what a paddock is? Last time I checked it was where you kept a horse! And do you know of any circuits in Stke on Trent or Staffordshire?
Old 27 Jun 2004, 10:13 (Ref:1017286)   #14
JLD
Racer

JLD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The paddock is the area, often behind the pits, where most of the work is done on the cars. At any race meeting only the cars from one race (or type of race) has the luxury of a garage, the rest set up their transporters/ garages etc in the paddock.

From Stoke, it's not that far to Oulton Park. Some excellent racing in store there next Saturday at the MGCC meeting. Cheap entry (free for 15 and under when accompanied by an adult).
Old 27 Jun 2004, 17:45 (Ref:1017742)   #15
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by FerrariFanatic
And do you know of any circuits in Stke on Trent or Staffordshire?
Your nearest circuit is Oulton Park. There are lots of Oulton regulars on ten-tenths; come & join us!
Old 27 Jun 2004, 20:59 (Ref:1018091)   #16
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Curborough sprint course, near Lichfield, can always use extra help in the paddock: http://www.curborough.co.uk/
Old 30 Jun 2004, 11:58 (Ref:1021337)   #17
Techie
Rookie

Techie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Marshalling in South Africa

Quote:
Originally posted by Greg Dex
South Africa is a fantastic place to marshal...with great racing..good climate..
Dunswart near Brakpan is (was if not there anymore) great for roundy roundy stuff too.

For the Braai, try the Borewors sausages, you'll never want anything else again.
Old 30 Jun 2004, 20:12 (Ref:1021809)   #18
vw_nut
Veteran

England
hereford
vw_nut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i'm looking into becoming a marshal it looks a great way to spend a weekend so i thopught i just say hello
Old 30 Jun 2004, 20:18 (Ref:1021815)   #19
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
A good start. Your next question should either be 'where's breakfast?' or 'where's the beer?' according to the time of day, and you'll fit in fine!
Old 30 Jun 2004, 20:33 (Ref:1021825)   #20
vw_nut
Veteran

England
hereford
nice just my crowd of people then food and beer lovely. how busy is marshaling are certain of an incident at your any event?
Old 1 Jul 2004, 09:27 (Ref:1022206)   #21
Grahame West
Racer

Scotland
Fife
Grahame West should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi VW Nut. Look at the BMMC website re marshaling or contact your local circuit/motor sport club. With you name bet you'd enjoy the VW cup races, they were good fun when at Croft.
Old 1 Jul 2004, 18:00 (Ref:1022784)   #22
vw_nut
Veteran

England
hereford
oh yes love the old vw i have contacted castle combe may see some of you there soon.
Old 1 Jul 2004, 23:36 (Ref:1023118)   #23
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Hereford's not too far from Shelsley if you're doing nothing else this week-end. Turn up on the gate by 8:30, ask for the Chief Marshal (me) and you'd be welcome to join us.
Old 2 Jul 2004, 00:20 (Ref:1023144)   #24
vw_nut
Veteran

England
hereford
i would love but ive got work this weekend unfortunitly thank that would of been great when the next meeting there?
Old 3 Jul 2004, 23:05 (Ref:1025250)   #25
vw_nut
Veteran

England
hereford
so then how shelsley after good i hope petty i missed it. were there any incidents? when the next meeting?