Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 3 Mar 2009, 23:33 (Ref:2408521)   #1
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Clutch interchangeability

Hi all,

I have a brand new and fairly expensive QuarterMaster triple plate V-drive clutch, which has a custom made adaptor plate to allow it to be fitted to a lightened Alfa Flywheel.

However, it is far too grabby and downright fierce for my light and low-power car.

I'm looking to replace it with a single plate cera-metallic unit.

Can anyone with experience tell me whether AP racing (or any other manufacturer for that matter)'s clutch units will fit a QuarterMaster bolt pattern?

Regards,

James
Old 4 Mar 2009, 08:44 (Ref:2408652)   #2
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I assume it's a 7 1/4 inch or 184mm. If so yes they are all the same. I have the same clutch as you on my Jag and my mate has an AP clutch and the bolt holes are the same. Depending on what type of release bearing you have you will have to adjust for setup height though but you probably already know that.
I think the Quartermaster is around 900ft/lb so no wonder it's a bit grabby on an Alfa.
What plates were you using with this one?
Old 4 Mar 2009, 09:12 (Ref:2408675)   #3
jerryk
Racer

United Kingdom
jerryk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi
if you go to the ap racing web site you can down load installation drawings of the clutches they make ( http://www.apracing.com/ ) . youre problem would probably be finger height . A triple sintered is about the same as a twin ceremetallic .
usually the clutches do get a lot less grabby once they wear in a bit
Old 8 Mar 2009, 22:47 (Ref:2411695)   #4
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for all your help, guys. Much appreciated.

Had a chat with a very helpful chap from SuperClutch, and think they have something that will do the trick nicely, and fit my flywheel.

Anyone after a triple plate QuarterMaster clutch? I have one that has only done 0.5km (enough to know it was not suited to my car!)

Let me know.

James
Old 10 Mar 2009, 12:33 (Ref:2412923)   #5
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
James, I have a 4 paddles plate on one engine, its still a bit vicious, can you not get an AP organic plate and heavy duty cover that'll do the job ? 200lb/ft should do you ?
Old 12 Mar 2009, 09:30 (Ref:2414163)   #6
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
Thanks, Zeff

I think you're right, and that an organic faced 'rally' type plate should do me fine.

After all, torque-wise, my car couldn't pull your granny off a sailor (and I use the word 'your' in a rhetorical sense here)...

James

Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
James, I have a 4 paddles plate on one engine, its still a bit vicious, can you not get an AP organic plate and heavy duty cover that'll do the job ? 200lb/ft should do you ?