Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 12 May 2003, 09:54 (Ref:596706)   #1
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
MGCC - Oulton Park

The MGCC paid it's annual visit to Oulton Park on Saturday. We all know how good this club is but on Saturday they really went that bit further to make it a great day.
First, at sign-on, the usual badge/plaque and then their was free tea and coffee in the new officials room in the new RC building.
The Observers briefing notes mentioned that we were "Guarenteed" at least 40 minutes for lunch - no matter what happened during the morning sessions!
The racing was very good with very little hanging around between sessions (Xcept the XJS biggie!)and at the end of the day there were twenty £10 winners in the raffle plus about another 20 prizes of MG stuff!
We were spoiled, but could get used to it!
Well done Mr Watson and your team
Old 12 May 2003, 11:29 (Ref:596777)   #2
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
We had the same assurance about lunch at last years MG meeting at Brands. As always the guys keep their promise and always provide good racing as well as looking after their marshals.

Let me add my thanks to the MGCC for ALL their support of marshals. Other clubs should take note!
Old 12 May 2003, 11:43 (Ref:596790)   #3
garybirch
Racer

England
Taunton, Somerset UK
garybirch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So when's the next MGCC meeting - I think I want to go to that one if they're so good to their marshalls!
Old 12 May 2003, 11:46 (Ref:596795)   #4
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I would imagine there will be something on their website Gary.

Welcome to Ten-Tenths, nice to have you with us
Old 12 May 2003, 11:51 (Ref:596799)   #5
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by garybirch
So when's the next MGCC meeting - I think I want to go to that one if they're so good to their marshalls!
I think it's a two-dayer over the Bank Holiday weekend at Rockingham
Old 12 May 2003, 12:28 (Ref:596836)   #6
PenelopePitstop
Racer

European Union
PenelopePitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is a form on the website & these are the remaining MGCC events
Rockingham 24&25 May
Silverstone 20-22 June
Snetterton 17 Aug
Cadwell Park 31 August
Brands Hatch 4-5 October

Chief Marshal Is, John Watson, The Cottage, Hall Farm, North Reston, Louth, Lincs, LN11 8JD (07801 648646 day, 01507 450512 eve, 01507 450205 fax) email: johnwatson07@supanet.com

Your kind comments will be passed onto the M.G.C.C. directors this very evening.
Old 12 May 2003, 12:31 (Ref:596840)   #7
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Thank you dear lady. My very nice thermos flask given to me by the MGCC gets used every race weekend. Please thank them once again for their extremely kind donation.
Old 12 May 2003, 12:32 (Ref:596841)   #8
brickkicker
Veteran

brickkicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And even im going to be making it to the silverstone one.
Old 12 May 2003, 12:35 (Ref:596846)   #9
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Quote:
Originally posted by PenelopePitstop
Your kind comments will be passed onto the M.G.C.C. directors this very evening.
I have already sent an email to John regarding Saturday.....the MGCC is a bloody good advert for Motor Racing!
Why do I suspect though, that next weekend will be somewhat "flat"?
Old 12 May 2003, 12:37 (Ref:596851)   #10
PenelopePitstop
Racer

European Union
PenelopePitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let me know what posts you are on at Silverstone I will give you a wave
Old 12 May 2003, 12:43 (Ref:596857)   #11
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
*waves frantically*
Old 12 May 2003, 13:07 (Ref:596893)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Re: MGCC - Oulton Park

Quote:
Originally posted by observer
(Xcept the XJS biggie!)
A few people have asked how he (David Weaver) is. He is fine, we've had an email forward to us that he sent our race series organiser Terry Dye and he'll be fine.

Anyway, I had a good time at Oulton too (despite the above mentioned red and my little spin). Thanks everyone.

I bought my Marshal's training sticker too. That's another great idea by the MGCC, who do IMO organise the best and most friendly meetings.

See you at Rockingham.

Last edited by Adam43; 12 May 2003 at 13:08.
Old 12 May 2003, 13:12 (Ref:596900)   #13
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands

I notice he failed to recognise the work of the marshals, paramedics and rescue personnel though?
Old 12 May 2003, 14:01 (Ref:596946)   #14
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
I would imagine you are included in the part where he says "thank you and all the team"
Old 12 May 2003, 14:09 (Ref:596950)   #15
woody148uk
Rookie

woody148uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i agree with observer it was a great day out and great days racing to very well run indeed a pat on the back to all involved including well especially us marshals and all marshals at other event across the uk to
i was on lodge corner which was fun with those rather large cars coming around which like the green area instead of the black
Old 12 May 2003, 17:30 (Ref:597155)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
observer, I don't think he did forget all the others. It's just that this email was sent to the guy who organised our race series, hence all the references are towards his help and his perspective. It was mainly just to show you all that he is OK and in good humour.

I would like to apologise to him, if my posting of this gives that impression.
Old 12 May 2003, 21:20 (Ref:597396)   #17
Richard Sneader
Veteran

Scotland
Grays, Essex
Richard Sneader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John and the MGCC have it right. I have known Mr Watson for a number of years and I know he is 110% for the marshals he Chiefs for.( others take note) This club produces good racing and grid sizes and yes they do look after there marshals ver well. SO HOW DOES A SMALL CLUB LIKE THIS DO IT AND SOME OF THE LARGER CLUBS CAN'T?.
I will be at Rockingham in May for the MGCC and at Brands later in the year for them.
Well done John.
And if you got to Cadwell you get the same warm welcome from the other John, Mr Franks and all the rest of the crew up there.
Perhaps it is time I change where I marshal more!!Rich
Old 14 May 2003, 06:57 (Ref:598500)   #18
Richy_Rich
Racer

France
France
Richy_Rich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, I had a great days driving there too. Who was the marshal in the green wig selling raffle tickets, I'm sitting on a tenners worth of them - when do I collect my prize(s)

Will most certainly be at Rockingham (on the Sunday) please feel free to come over and say hi.
Old 14 May 2003, 09:02 (Ref:598554)   #19
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Richy_Rich
Yeah, I had a great days driving there too. Who was the marshal in the green wig selling raffle tickets, I'm sitting on a tenners worth of them - when do I collect my prize(s)
That was our very own Captain Coco and the raffle will be drawn on 15 August at the track day which is being held at Three Sisters.

Old 14 May 2003, 13:15 (Ref:598721)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I didn't know Coco was there. I'm giving rides on that day, I wish I'd known I'd liked to have said hello!
Old 14 May 2003, 17:59 (Ref:598973)   #21
dogsbody
Racer

dogsbody should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For those who don't know, Mr Watson is also Chief Marshal of BRSCC Northern Centre (one of the bigger clubs??) and at all our meetings we also guarantee the lunch break and as best we can an early finish.

We benefit from the JW early morning free tea, coffee and biscuits, a raffle with 2 x £25 and 20 x £10 prizes and now a free drink at the end of the meeting too!

As Rich has said earlier we like to make people welcome and the circuit is great as well.

Now I get to the begging bit: if anyone is free on 18th May we can offer you all the above plus Caterhams, Road Saloons, 125cc International karts, T cars, etc PLUS Mr Watson will be extremely pleased to see you!

If you can't make it then feel free to come along to ANY meeting at Cadwell Park, Mr Watson will still be pleased to see you!

Oh, I also salute the MGCC for all they do.
Old 15 May 2003, 12:16 (Ref:599655)   #22
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Quote:
Originally posted by dogsbody
We benefit from the JW early morning free tea, coffee and biscuits
Why do you suppose then that other clubs can't do the same? At a guess, the MGCC aren't the biggest or wealthiest of car clubs - so how can they afford to give volunteers free beverages in the morning AND drinks after the meeting.

BRSCC North-West at Oulton are fairly good and have end-of-meeting drinks and invite marshals FOC to their annual dinner dance, plus free BRSCC membership to those who do all their events.

Personally, I would prefer to have a nice cuppa in the morning than warm beer after the meeting.
At Oulton, we now have the facillities of the new Race Control tower which has a marshals/officials office where it would be so easy to serve coffee/tea from!
Old 15 May 2003, 14:56 (Ref:599782)   #23
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
I didn't know Coco was there. I'm giving rides on that day, I wish I'd known I'd liked to have said hello!
I believe that you nearly did; I think he was flagging at Old Hall.

Quote:
originally posted by observer
At Oulton, we now have the facillities of the new Race Control tower which has a marshals/officials office where it would be so easy to serve coffee/tea from!
Since the new Race Control has been open I've had a hot drink every morning but I'm not there this weekend, off to Silverstone, so I will be interested to know if it is going to be a regular occurrence or if I've just dropped lucky.

If it is adopted are you volunteering to brew up for us all?

Old 15 May 2003, 15:08 (Ref:599801)   #24
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Quote:
Originally posted by KayBee

Since the new Race Control has been open I've had a hot drink every morning... so I will be interested to know if it is going to be a regular occurrence...
Apparently not!
Organising clubs are not against the idea at all but we need "A Volunteer" to be "Mother" and look after this or else all hell would break loose and the new room would look like a bombsite in no time.
Also, the Circuit owners are reluctant to have items like Tea-Urns etc left in this room and won't accept responsbility if they go "Walkies"
So I guess that whilst we would all like to have a brew in the mornings, no one (And I'm Just as Bad) will volunteer to do it!
Old 20 May 2003, 21:54 (Ref:605345)   #25
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally posted by KayBee
I believe that you nearly did; I think he was flagging at Old Hall.

Last edited by Adam43; 20 May 2003 at 21:54.