Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 9 Jan 2001, 13:05 (Ref:57593)   #1
redback
Racer

redback should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Australia's only somewhat internationally recognisable category, Formula Ford (1600), is to become a one-make series with locally produced cars. What are your experiences with one make categories? Do you think they are good or bad, and why?

I reckon it is a bad idea because:

People I have spoken to that have raced in other one make series complain that they are never really a level playing field regardless of the promoters claims.

The cars date quickly and the series often seem to die after a few seasons.

FF has been a basis for junior chassis designers like Adrian Reynard, Mark Bailey and in Australia Mike Borland to prove their worth. There are probably lots more that I am not familiar with.

It is supposed to be "cheap" but it usually means "cheap and nasty".

Etc, etc.
What do you guys think?

Old 10 Jan 2001, 17:36 (Ref:57856)   #2
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm inclined to agree with you that one make series lack the interest of multi chassis series. They seem to come into existence a florish, with close racing, but then one team will work out how to make the car go best, competition becomes less, and the class dies. That's my view of how its worked in the UK anyway.
Old 11 Jan 2001, 11:01 (Ref:57986)   #3
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As one of only 2 major international series in Australia (along with F3 which is really only starting here) it is not a good move to take it away from what the rest of the world are using. It is a big enough jump to go from the current cars with the old Kent engine to the newer Zetec cars in Europe.
Old 12 Jan 2001, 02:12 (Ref:58115)   #4
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
At least they have put off the FF spec series another year....it is a shame, because there are very few cars being imported these days (only been 1 Van Diemen in 3 years) and grids are subsequently dwindling..
Old 13 Jan 2001, 11:23 (Ref:58279)   #5
redback
Racer

redback should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the support guys, I hope Howard Marsden retires before it comes to fruition but the powers to be at FF Aust. seem to be behind it for some reason. Ford Aust. are backing Michael Caruso in FF National this year (as reward for winning the Max Challenge Kart Series). Why can't they put that money to all the FF competitors to pay for TV coverage or other expenses.

Three new VDs have arrived for this season. I'm not sure if there any new Mygales I have heard of possibly one. Apparently the VDs have been quick in testing.

Ian Luff has 98VD zetecs this year for his FF schools.