Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Nov 2017, 14:48 (Ref:3777985)   #101
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
We did start to have a permanent steward from midway through the 00s. Why did that stop?
Old 1 Nov 2017, 15:02 (Ref:3777991)   #102
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Why did that stop?
no one wants that thankless job and the scrutiny that comes from it?
Old 1 Nov 2017, 15:36 (Ref:3777996)   #103
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
W€ll, I am $ure that somebod¥ could be persuaded to tak£ the job.

We ju$t n€€d to think of a $uitabl€ inc€entiv€. An¥ id€a$?
Old 1 Nov 2017, 16:08 (Ref:3778002)   #104
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
W€ll, I am $ure that somebod¥ could be persuaded to tak£ the job.

We ju$t n€€d to think of a $uitabl€ inc€entiv€. An¥ id€a$?
Free travel, food and lodging and you get to watch the race for free, just for chaperoning and you get paid. That's not a bad deal.
Old 1 Nov 2017, 16:15 (Ref:3778003)   #105
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The only price is you could end up really unpopular
Old 1 Nov 2017, 16:17 (Ref:3778004)   #106
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
The only price is you could end up really unpopular
Possibly but the upside of that is, you are fairly anonymous.
Old 1 Nov 2017, 18:09 (Ref:3778022)   #107
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I'm reminded of how longtime CART Chief Steward Wally Dallenbach Sr. was almost NEVER mentioned during race broadcasts. And from the VERY few times he was mentioned, some things became pretty obvious; he communicated clearly, in simple, understandable terms, what he expected/demanded of drivers, and what penalties they could expect to get for what violations when they asked about a given issue.

And clarity and consistency will definitely cut down on drivers "cutting corners", and hoping they just won't get caught on that particular occasion.
Old 1 Nov 2017, 21:36 (Ref:3778060)   #108
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
I'm reminded of how longtime CART Chief Steward Wally Dallenbach Sr. was almost NEVER mentioned during race broadcasts. And from the VERY few times he was mentioned, some things became pretty obvious; he communicated clearly, in simple, understandable terms, what he expected/demanded of drivers, and what penalties they could expect to get for what violations when they asked about a given issue.

And clarity and consistency will definitely cut down on drivers "cutting corners", and hoping they just won't get caught on that particular occasion.
His greatest strength I would bet was that he was fair and consistent, when the penalties are applied inconsistently in a random manner then the problems start in any sport.
When everybody knows what the rules are and the officiation is obviously fair and competent everyone is happy.
When there is a perception of bias, then the trouble starts.
Old 1 Nov 2017, 22:18 (Ref:3778068)   #109
peterelise
Racer

peterelise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
Is it still too soon to call Verstappen the best driver in the field? I have all the confidence that he would give Hamilton or Vettel fits and probably beat them if on the same team.

Would have thought he'd need to be obviously better than his team mate before you could make an argument he was best in the field. Even taking out the impact of DNFs, Max is getting outscored by Dan for the 2nd year in a row

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2 Nov 2017, 02:05 (Ref:3778095)   #110
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
We did start to have a permanent steward from midway through the 00s. Why did that stop?
Okay, so Mr Garry Connolly it is then.
Appoint him permanent steward.

Then issues on-track will be handled with technical accuracy in accordance with the literal interpretation of the rules.

No bad thing.

And will show the rules up as needing a review & revision
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 2 Nov 2017, 02:11 (Ref:3778098)   #111
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
So... if as you suggest RBR are the only team able to win with a Renault engine, why wouldn’t Red Bull manoeuvre the one destined for STR to the A team?

Or is that too logical?
What do you mean?

I don't think I've said anything out of the ordinary. What's logical is that Renault are trying to develop a better 2018 engine, and they do this by making the effort to get a new engine running in a 2017 race. STR is a RB B-Team. Renault have said they will give the best engines to Red Bull. Who exactly is losing out here? Everyone got what they wanted. If Ricciardo got the engine, he's taking a massive grid penalty because it's out of sequence. The new engine is here because Max needed another engine before Dan did.

Last edited by Articus; 2 Nov 2017 at 02:16.
Old 2 Nov 2017, 02:48 (Ref:3778109)   #112
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Okay, so Mr Garry Connolly it is then.
Appoint him permanent steward.

Then issues on-track will be handled with technical accuracy in accordance with the literal interpretation of the rules.

No bad thing.

And will show the rules up as needing a review & revision
Max Verstappen would like a word...
Old 2 Nov 2017, 04:31 (Ref:3778121)   #113
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
What do you mean?

I don't think I've said anything out of the ordinary. What's logical is that Renault are trying to develop a better 2018 engine, and they do this by making the effort to get a new engine running in a 2017 race. STR is a RB B-Team. Renault have said they will give the best engines to Red Bull. Who exactly is losing out here? Everyone got what they wanted. If Ricciardo got the engine, he's taking a massive grid penalty because it's out of sequence. The new engine is here because Max needed another engine before Dan did.
There were apparently 3x 2018-spec Renaults around, one for each team. My question was, if RBR is considered the only one of the 3 teams that can win, why wouldn’t RBR pinch the other ‘18 engine from STR and put it in Mr Ricciardo’s car...
Old 2 Nov 2017, 21:40 (Ref:3778246)   #114
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
There were apparently 3x 2018-spec Renaults around, one for each team. My question was, if RBR is considered the only one of the 3 teams that can win, why wouldn’t RBR pinch the other ‘18 engine from STR and put it in Mr Ricciardo’s car...
Renault engines want as much feed back from as many of their customers as possible?
Old 2 Nov 2017, 22:50 (Ref:3778258)   #115
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Because by contract Renault has to treat each team the same way so each get one engine?
Old 3 Nov 2017, 02:41 (Ref:3778282)   #116
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Because by contract Renault has to treat each team the same way so each get one engine?
Two of the teams have the same dad though...