Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Apr 2011, 11:02 (Ref:2868549)   #26
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Now come on garcon. I am no JV fan, far from it, but he has achieved some notable successes! He can at least look back over his career and say he has won some topline titles.
As far as I'm concerned, US race series that are the talent equivalent of British F3 don't count.
Old 23 Apr 2011, 11:16 (Ref:2868552)   #27
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Perhaps they dont wish to publicly admit that the driver nowadays is a minor, or less significant part in the equation. Great cars win championships.
I really don't think they have a problem with this. 'twas always thus. I suspect they have a much better handle on this than most people.
Old 24 Apr 2011, 00:31 (Ref:2868790)   #28
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Beyond the skills to drive an F1 car :

The right car.
The right place.
The right time.

Some people call it luck. Luck is to be prepared when the opportunity comes.
All the above and BMT (Big Match Temperament).

Some of them can deliver under pressure whereas others go missing.
Last years championship in my opinion was full of guys falling over and lacking the will to want to win! (Webber dropping the car in the wet on his own was a major mess!)

This was until Vettel showed everyone what a champion is and took it by the scruff and finished it off in tremendous form.

Killer instinct - take the opportunity when it comes!
Old 24 Apr 2011, 00:40 (Ref:2868792)   #29
amon mars
Rookie

Australia
Perth, Western Australia
amon mars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thread replies: what protocols exist?

In reply to Knowlesy (reply #21): evidence exists that two former F1 World Champions assuming an AKA identity, have in the past posted replies in Ten-tenth threads. This thread shows no F1 driver or future aspirant is willing to reply to a current Ten-tenths thread. Is this indicative of the relevance of Ten-tenths? What, you might ask is the purpose of starting a thread? This thread asked in its original entry: What are the attributes of a Formula 1 Winner?Whilst some subsequent replies are in keeping with the thread subject, others are irrelevant and inappropriate. Is this indicative of the inability of posting reply respondents to maintain focus on the thread subject? Could this be the reason that F1 drivers and aspirants are unwilling to share their viewpoint with Ten-tenth readers? If so, how relevant is Ten-tenths, if motorsport achievers are not willing to participate?

Last edited by amon mars; 24 Apr 2011 at 00:46.
Old 24 Apr 2011, 00:53 (Ref:2868793)   #30
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by amon mars View Post
In reply to Knowlesy (reply #21): evidence exists that two former F1 World Champions assuming an AKA identity, have in the past posted replies in Ten-tenth threads. This thread shows no F1 driver or future aspirant is willing to reply to a current Ten-tenths thread. Is this indicative of the relevance of Ten-tenths? What, you might ask is the purpose of starting a thread? This thread asked in its original entry: What are the attributes of a Formula 1 Winner?Whilst some subsequent replies are in keeping with the thread subject, others are irrelevant and inappropriate. Is this indicative of the inability of posting reply respondents to maintain focus on the thread subject? Could this be the reason that F1 drivers and aspirants are unwilling to share their viewpoint with Ten-tenth readers? If so, how relevant is Ten-tenths, if motorsport achievers are not willing to participate?
Does the IRONY of this post ....?
Old 24 Apr 2011, 07:03 (Ref:2868828)   #31
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Deep stuff.

But what does it all mean?
Old 24 Apr 2011, 08:00 (Ref:2868850)   #32
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Deep stuff.

But what does it all mean?
It means that amon mars can't stay on topic either!
Old 24 Apr 2011, 10:04 (Ref:2868918)   #33
amon mars
Rookie

Australia
Perth, Western Australia
amon mars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Focus is not easy to demonstrate in motor racing - it seems!

Whether a particular F1 driver is a “whiner” (see reply #19) or not is neither here nor there in relation to the attributes of an F1 winner. So, my thought is let’s encourage the participation of real F1 drivers in the forum. I bet if a real F1 driver read the #19 reply they’ll make a point of avoiding Ten-tenths in the future. But as you say wnut (#32) I’m guilty of expanding into another topic now! One question remains: how can I soar with the eagles when I work with turkeys!

Old 24 Apr 2011, 10:09 (Ref:2868922)   #34
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
However, I do admit that a great driver can make an inferior car perhaps look better than it actually is.
Yes, but more precisely, if a driver is limited by his car, it is that an inferior driver makes a bad or good car look worse than it is.

Quote:
Apart from Nigel Mansell of course, who did it all by himself, running round the circuits in plimsolls and shorts.
Old 24 Apr 2011, 15:54 (Ref:2869091)   #35
newlaprecord
Racer

Switzerland
Feusisberg
newlaprecord should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
. I bet if a real F1 driver read the #19 reply they’ll make a point of avoiding Ten-tenths in the future.
How do you know that Im not an F1 driver? I never post here during races ....
Old 24 Apr 2011, 19:26 (Ref:2869180)   #36
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
In reply to Knowlesy (reply #21): evidence exists that two former F1 World Champions assuming an AKA identity, have in the past posted replies in Ten-tenth threads.
That's news to me.

I doubt F1 drivers visit F1 forums. Two main reasons:

1) F1 is their job. They're more likely to spend time online pursuing other interests, if anything.
2) They know the sport inside out, so would probably find places like this quite frustrating.
Old 24 Apr 2011, 19:59 (Ref:2869211)   #37
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
We have had visits from F1 drivers in the past, as to these days I am not so sure? as Super Hans says they are so busy and it is their job, I doubt they have the time or the inclination..
Old 24 Apr 2011, 20:07 (Ref:2869216)   #38
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by newlaprecord View Post
Perhaps we do think you're an F1 driver, after all you really seem to know an awful lot about the subject.....
Old 24 Apr 2011, 20:36 (Ref:2869239)   #39
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
How is the weather in Budapest?
Old 24 Apr 2011, 21:18 (Ref:2869270)   #40
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
You certainly whinge enough.
Old 24 Apr 2011, 21:38 (Ref:2869282)   #41
Taprobane
Racer

England
Berkshire
Taprobane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm all of the F1 drivers. We all post using this one account.
Old 24 Apr 2011, 21:41 (Ref:2869284)   #42
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That isn't allowed. So 10-10ths will become the forum that banned all the F1 drivers!
Old 25 Apr 2011, 01:39 (Ref:2869345)   #43
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Whether a particular F1 driver is a “whiner” (see reply #19) or not is neither here nor there in relation to the attributes of an F1 winner. So, my thought is let’s encourage the participation of real F1 drivers in the forum. I bet if a real F1 driver read the #19 reply they’ll make a point of avoiding Ten-tenths in the future. But as you say wnut (#32) I’m guilty of expanding into another topic now! One question remains: how can I soar with the eagles when I work with turkeys!

No arguments there!
Just remember weasels never get sucked into jet engines!

If an F1 driver was prepared to post under his own name he would be snowed by a deluge of junk. He would also skew the forum opinions so that they would no longer represent the opinions of the great unwashed - us!
Quite what a current F1 driver would want these rather strong enthusiastic and rather coloured opinions for is another matter!

I am sure TGF values highly some of the opinions expressed here - NOT!

Jokes aside though some of the posters here are very knowledgeable!
Old 25 Apr 2011, 07:26 (Ref:2869370)   #44
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The closest thing to an F1 driver posting here that I can remember was Anthony Davidson's father posting here on a pretty regular basis.
Beyond that I don't know.

But this is all terribly off-topic!
Old 25 Apr 2011, 08:49 (Ref:2869403)   #45
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Whether a particular F1 driver is a “whiner” (see reply #19) or not is neither here nor there in relation to the attributes of an F1 winner.
To be serious for a second. It may have a bearing. It depends on the type of whinging, but he could alienate people in his team. Or rub the stewards up the wrong way in a hearing.
Quote:
One question remains: how can I soar with the eagles when I work with turkeys!
Get a new job. Or if you run the company replace the turkeys.
Old 25 Apr 2011, 09:02 (Ref:2869408)   #46
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
If you are going to replace your turkeys though, it's better to do it with one or two of those very rare 'Whining Eagles' if you are to stand any real chance of success.
Old 25 Apr 2011, 09:16 (Ref:2869421)   #47
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And bear in mind that replacing the turkeys may not be the ideal business strategy if you work on a turkey farm.
Old 25 Apr 2011, 09:27 (Ref:2869427)   #48
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Ironically, it may well be that F1 will be replacing its 'Turkey' with something else next season. Ironically again, maybe with a GP whose national emblem is an Eagle.....

Back to the whiners...err, winners.
Old 25 Apr 2011, 14:53 (Ref:2869563)   #49
Vinicius
Rookie

Brazil
São Paulo, SP
Vinicius should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Be like Senna, Schumacher, Hamilton, Vettel, Alonso and Prost. It means: Passion, Ability, Strong personality. People with those adjectives can reach a top team.
Old 25 Apr 2011, 18:02 (Ref:2869649)   #50
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Alonso wishes Felipe a happy birthday (for 'tis today):

“Hi Felipe and all my very best birthday wishes!” Alonso wrote on the Ferrari website. “You have got there a few months before me as, in July it will be my turn to turn 30, so you’ll be able to tell me if it’s something special to reach this age.

“Joking apart, I want to tell you that I’m happy to be alongside you at Ferrari; I think we make up a good duo, respecting one another and working well together, in the knowledge that the interests of the team come before those of the individual.

“Now I hope we will soon a have a car good enough to see us fight for the top places, after which it will be down to the two of us to try and win.”

You see. One of Alonso's many attributes is the ability to be nice, but at the same time making sure that his team mate knows what the bigger picture is.