Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 15 Aug 2019, 11:38 (Ref:3922839)   #1626
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Indeed it is Peter but over the years I have come to question the validity of the concept.

They are, for all practical purposes, just another form of Dodgy Dossier.

The only bits that seem to be enacted are those that are common to all parties or those bound to fail at some point before the next election, thus making them pre-prepared targets for criticism.

Almost like the 'opposition' allowed them through on purpose ...

Still, I suppose it gives the denizens of Westminster something to do.
There's a lot to be said in favour of our system in that notwithstanding your point, we generally have the means to vote the miscreant out on a regular basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Corrected that for you, Bob!
If anyone suggests the Clintons are honest godfearing denizens of society I'll throw up. Both Clinton (H) and Obama should have been shot at birth. They are the real reason why Trump succeeded.
Old 15 Aug 2019, 11:52 (Ref:3922842)   #1627
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Both Clinton (H) and Obama should have been shot at birth. They are the real reason why Trump succeeded.

Whatever one's views on Obama are, at least he is responsible for ensuring that around 20 to 30 million Americans now have access to state funded medical care, something that Trump and some Republicans want to deny them.

I am sure that he also contributed other things, too.
Old 15 Aug 2019, 12:00 (Ref:3922843)   #1628
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
There's a lot to be said in favour of our system in that notwithstanding your point, we generally have the means to vote the miscreant out on a regular basis.
True Peter - but the US system requires a review (Via Senate/Congress elections as far as voters are concerned) every 2 years.

And of course should they wish to they can impeach a President or find other ways to persuade them to vacate their position. Nixon for example.

That they don't do so very often may be because it would be very visible raking over a probably widespread pit of political and personal skeletons.

Here we allow people to avoid all of that in terms of passing power from one PM to another appointment without be asked to vote on a PM/Vice PM Team in the first place. And none of them have to really do anything about the list of objectives on a manifesto.

At least in the States the election process seems to mean getting people to provide campaign cash in return for promised favours. If the favours happen to be policy related there is a good chance that some sort of action related to the policy will be undertaken. Especially if a second term may be in the offing.
Old 15 Aug 2019, 12:08 (Ref:3922846)   #1629
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
.... but the US system requires a review (Via Senate/Congress elections as far as voters are concerned) every 2 years.
Similar to the UK By-elections.

Quote:
And of course should they wish to they can impeach a President or find other ways to persuade them to vacate their position. Nixon for example.
And we have the Parliamentary Standards Committee. It should be more robust but it has so far dealt with many MPs quite severely.

Quote:
Here we allow people to avoid all of that in terms of passing power from one PM to another appointment without be asked to vote on a PM/Vice PM Team in the first place. And none of them have to really do anything about the list of objectives on a manifesto.
Not entirely accurate since Parliament has the power to no confidence a government and seek a general election.

Quote:
At least in the States the election process seems to mean getting people to provide campaign cash in return for promised favours. If the favours happen to be policy related there is a good chance that some sort of action related to the policy will be undertaken. Especially if a second term may be in the offing.
Not sure what this point is really. Cash for favours? Sounds like bribery.
Old 15 Aug 2019, 12:18 (Ref:3922849)   #1630
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Not sure what this point is really. Cash for favours? Sounds like bribery.

Much like the contents of a Manifesto could be considered to be a means of bribery to obtain votes?

Old 15 Aug 2019, 12:31 (Ref:3922851)   #1631
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Not really since most are sensible enough to vote for the things they need. Having voted they have no further influence on matters. Cash for favours suggests and ongoing relationship.
Old 15 Aug 2019, 12:51 (Ref:3922855)   #1632
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
If anyone suggests the Clintons are honest godfearing denizens of society I'll throw up. Both Clinton (H) and Obama should have been shot at birth. They are the real reason why Trump succeeded.
Not suggesting that for one moment, Peter, and agree that's why Trump got in, but, for me he is even worse. Hey ho.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 15 Aug 2019, 13:46 (Ref:3922860)   #1633
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Corrected that for you, Bob!
John, I do not necessarily consider Donald Trump a nice man or even a good President, but he is preferable to the alternatives. Obama, on national UK TV openly threatened the UK with disaster if they dared to vote to Leave the EU. For that alone I would gladly spit in his eye, and then blacken it, as for Hilary Clinton the very sight of her on TV turned my stomach, a shining example of a Grade A hypocrite.

Donald Trump is sexist, racist, Islamophobic, and probably a misogynist!

My kind of man.
Old 15 Aug 2019, 15:17 (Ref:3922864)   #1634
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

My kind of man.[/QUOTE]

And mine
Old 15 Aug 2019, 18:16 (Ref:3922880)   #1635
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post

My kind of man.

And mine [/QUOTE]

* And so are you, sir.
Old 21 Aug 2019, 06:47 (Ref:3923587)   #1636
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
The really scary thing is that I fear you people are serious ...
Old 21 Aug 2019, 07:25 (Ref:3923590)   #1637
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
The really scary thing is that I fear you people are serious ...
Cop, Donald Trump makes no bones about who or what he is, he said to the American people 'take me or leave me'.

The professional politicians all paint them selves as morally incorrupt, and claim to have all of the virtues and none of the vices, the truth being that are venal, in the extreme, and hypocritical to the point of genius.

On Brexit I can't wait to 'Crash-out' of the EU without a 'deal'. I look forward to the shortage of food and medicine, the exflux (?) of foreigners, the inability to leave these shores because no one wants us. I await the time when I can't buy an Audi, BMW or Mercedes, with happy heart. The idea of a hard border with Ireland brings delight,

The downside is that Gordon, John, Tel, etc will have to come back to the UK,
maybe we should 'Remain' after all.
Old 21 Aug 2019, 07:56 (Ref:3923598)   #1638
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I watched the BBC news with interest last night because they majored on the plight of the refineries who suggest, probably correctly, that the offer of tariff free imports of "petrol" I assume they mean "refined product" will impact the UK refineries because when they export to the EU, they will suffer a 5% tariff.

As a contractor in the Energy industry, I and those like me have seen their rates squeezed by the energy companies (some more than others) for various reasons but mostly to get more for less out of us. So, I think I can be forgiven for thinking that this is possibly a bit of yang coming back to these money grabbers.

The other point may be that instead of trying to export to the EU, where there are less fuel duties but higher rates for the product, they could concentrate on selling into the UK market, thereby reducing the need for imports. Of course there's not so much profit to be made in the UK market.
Old 21 Aug 2019, 14:30 (Ref:3923633)   #1639
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
On Brexit I can't wait to 'Crash-out' of the EU without a 'deal'. I look forward to the shortage of food and medicine, the exflux (?) of foreigners, the inability to leave these shores because no one wants us. I await the time when I can't buy an Audi, BMW or Mercedes, with happy heart. The idea of a hard border with Ireland brings delight,

The downside is that Gordon, John, Tel, etc will have to come back to the UK,
maybe we should 'Remain' after all.
Alas you wont see any reduction in foreigners from your town as they are the wrong type of foreigners aren't they.

As for Gordon, Tel, John (which John is that) and Dave don't feel sorry for them as they'll be well placed to stay where they are and there were plenty of Brits living in Europe long before we were part of the EU and EEC.
As far as not buying German cars, at least the outside lanes of motorways will be empty once they aren't imported any more.
Old 21 Aug 2019, 14:37 (Ref:3923635)   #1640
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Alas you wont see any reduction in foreigners from your town as they are the wrong type of foreigners aren't they.

As for Gordon, Tel, John (which John is that) and Dave don't feel sorry for them as they'll be well placed to stay where they are and there were plenty of Brits living in Europe long before we were part of the EU and EEC.
As far as not buying German cars, at least the outside lanes of motorways will be empty once they aren't imported any more.
Sales of direction indicator lamp bulbs should increase too, I hope they're something we produce in the UK
Old 21 Aug 2019, 14:52 (Ref:3923636)   #1641
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
John (which John is that)
Probably John Turner, since he's moved to Salop.
Old 21 Aug 2019, 15:59 (Ref:3923641)   #1642
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Probably John Turner, since he's moved to Salop.
Elwin!
Old 21 Aug 2019, 16:34 (Ref:3923647)   #1643
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Bob, are you sure John E moved to Shropshire? Last time he was living in a nice french area…
Old 21 Aug 2019, 17:36 (Ref:3923652)   #1644
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Elwin!
I'm sure the Maquis will be able to hide him
Old 21 Aug 2019, 17:48 (Ref:3923654)   #1645
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Mmm, not too much on tomorrow. Think I’ll nip out and buy Greenland....
Old 21 Aug 2019, 17:50 (Ref:3923655)   #1646
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Cool.
Old 21 Aug 2019, 18:09 (Ref:3923660)   #1647
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Cool.
Old 22 Aug 2019, 05:03 (Ref:3923703)   #1648
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!

Not as cool as it used to be, but that’s another topic.... https://globalnews.ca/news/5789433/g...earths-future/
Old 22 Aug 2019, 05:58 (Ref:3923706)   #1649
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Indeed if it wasn't for Brexit this wouldn't be happening. But don't press the panic but................. oh too late.

There have been many periods of warmth over the Arctic over the past few hundred years. It may be warmer than previous but don't forget navigators in old sailing boats used to travel through the "summer months" over the top of the world.
Old 22 Aug 2019, 06:27 (Ref:3923708)   #1650
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Peter I've got your solar powered boat ready.

ISTR some years ago the Daily Mail ran an article about the earth facing a new Ice Age. Actually that must be just at the time I started working so 40 odd years back ,

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk