Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 May 2003, 11:19 (Ref:604528)   #1
beef cake
Rookie

beef cake should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should Firman be at Jordan or should Paffett be driving?

Considering Firman only beat Paffett to the Jordan drive because of money (according to strong rumours), does anyone think in hindsight it was a bad choice?
Old 20 May 2003, 11:27 (Ref:604539)   #2
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not if they needed the cash, no.
Old 20 May 2003, 11:30 (Ref:604547)   #3
Irv the Swerve
Veteran

Irv the Swerve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, it was the right chioce between those two, money or not.
Old 20 May 2003, 11:31 (Ref:604548)   #4
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Although i'm sure that Paffett is a good driver, why swap them now, surely it would put them back at Jordan. Firman, although, obviously not as good as Fisi, has been running quite closely to him in the last few rounds and been on the verge of a point scoring place (as we saw in Spain) So now is not the time to swap them.

However, i don't see Firman in the Jordan (or F1 for that matter ) next season.
Old 20 May 2003, 12:36 (Ref:604637)   #5
beef cake
Rookie

I wasn't suggesting changing mid season. I was saying in hindsight should Jordan have taken Paffett instead?
Lets face it, he has just won the very competitive German F3 championship, has had several VERY impressive F1 tests for McLaren and Firman, lets face it is a bit of a journeyman driver. Was it 6 years he took in Japan to win the Nippon series??!!!
Old 20 May 2003, 12:40 (Ref:604646)   #6
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Firman is not THAT bad, and is certainly far better than pay drivers we've seen in previous years. Give him a bit of time, he'll be a competent, solid driver, capable of producing strong, if not terrific results. He's driving style doesn't lend itself to F1 too much, and he's making a few mistakes in qualifying, but once he refines his driving and cuts the errors down, he'll be OK. Jordan needed the cash, with the cash came Firman. They're lucky it wasn't a Yoong, or a Mazzacane
Old 20 May 2003, 13:10 (Ref:604685)   #7
sonic
Veteran

sonic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by beef cake
Lets face it, he has just won the very competitive German F3 championship, has had several VERY impressive F1 tests for McLaren...
VERY impressive tests? He was dropped by McLaren because his feedback was so rubbish. Jordan, like most midfield teams desperately need smart drivers that can develop their equipment.
Old 20 May 2003, 13:15 (Ref:604690)   #8
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Firman's doing alright, for a new guy in F1 with the monetary problems Jordan have, i think he's going pretty well.
Old 20 May 2003, 13:16 (Ref:604691)   #9
beef cake
Rookie

Actually Sonic, McLaren said his feedback was exceptional considering his inexperience in Formula 1. He was only 1 sec off Raikkonen (with Gary on afull fuel load). They offered him a full time contract, but it was too restrictive on his future, so he looked elsewhere for a drive.

By the way, did you not read my last comment about Firman - it took him about 6 years to win in Nippon. Obviously it is him who is no good at feedback.

P.s. A good driver (i.e. Raikkonen) can adapt quickly to different machinery.
Old 20 May 2003, 13:16 (Ref:604693)   #10
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
At the start of the season, Paffett would have been worth testing agaisnt Firman, and seeing how they compared. Paffett may be the reigning German F3 champion and is certinaly talented, although his testing skill does leave a lot to be desired, but Firman won a tough UK F3 season in 1996, as well as Formula Nippon last year, a series which produced guys like Irvine, Takagi and Ralf.

Midseason, there is no reason for the change. Paffett could be coming in cold without experience of the car. Ralph has doen well recently, even outpacing Fisichella in Spain. He's got on with the task and is learning the craft. By the end of the season he should be well up to the job, and probably worth a gamble for 2004.
Old 20 May 2003, 13:19 (Ref:604697)   #11
beef cake
Rookie

Boots - read my note at 13.32 about changing mid-season....
Old 20 May 2003, 14:11 (Ref:604783)   #12
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thought Firman did well at the weekend - he kept pace with Fisi, which says something.
Old 20 May 2003, 14:55 (Ref:604825)   #13
Trebor
Rookie

Trebor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gary Paffett is replacing Patrick Huisman in the Team Rosberg DTM Team 24h Service AMG Mercedes.
He will start his first race coming weekend at the Nürburgring in the blue Mercedes-Benz CLK-DTM with number 24.

I hope he can have some good races.
Old 20 May 2003, 15:05 (Ref:604843)   #14
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suppose the real question is "Should Firman or Paffett be driving at Jordan at all?" Someone like Junqueira (spelling) might be a better option?
Old 20 May 2003, 16:58 (Ref:604994)   #15
kimi020
Rookie

kimi020 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Drivers like Ralph Firman shouldnt be in F1, I would put money on his F1 career being short and without any success. I hate it when the teams pick an driver because of money, I know that a team like jordan needs all of the money it can get at the moment. It was a sad loss for Formula 1 when Eddie Irvine didnt get the Jordan drive.
Old 20 May 2003, 19:01 (Ref:605180)   #16
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Paffett was always the better choice . As for Ralph getting points or near the points , isnt that more to do with the rule changes of points to 8th place more than actual race pace.
Old 20 May 2003, 19:16 (Ref:605195)   #17
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Pay-drivers always made into F1. As long the small teams need more money, a vacant seat is offered to who pays more.
Old 20 May 2003, 20:19 (Ref:605252)   #18
frostblade
Racer

frostblade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree kimi020, Justin Wilson and Jos Verstappen shouldn't be in F1 either this season. In fact, lets get rid of all drivers that paid their way into Formula 1, starting with Michael Schumacher.

Last edited by frostblade; 20 May 2003 at 20:20.
Old 20 May 2003, 20:24 (Ref:605255)   #19
racingdick
Veteran

racingdick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
frosty frosty frosty thats a very chilling attitude. you heard from fonz recently
Old 20 May 2003, 20:38 (Ref:605267)   #20
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by av8rirl
I suppose the real question is "Should Firman or Paffett be driving at Jordan at all?" Someone like Junqueira (spelling) might be a better option?
this is a very valid point. thru no fault of its own this board is very uk-centric. junqueira...bourdais...enge..?
Old 20 May 2003, 20:53 (Ref:605278)   #21
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by beef cake
I wasn't suggesting changing mid season. I was saying in hindsight should Jordan have taken Paffett instead?
In that case, in hindsight, maybe they should have signed Eddie Irvine instead
Old 20 May 2003, 21:53 (Ref:605344)   #22
frostblade
Racer

Yers, racingdick, but saying "I hate it when the teams pick an driver because of money" shows you don't understand what is going on here.

No one like the Alex Yoong's of this world, but if they keep the team going so we get proper talent in like Mark Webber, Fisichella and Michael Schumacher in the sport, then I reckon it's no bad thing.

No word from Fonz of late. Mainly because I banned him and removed guest rights. He deserved it anyway. Putting up polls asking if the moderator of a board was doing the right thing to warn you is a very stupid thing to do, and I don't tolerate it.
Old 20 May 2003, 21:57 (Ref:605350)   #23
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by frostblade

No word from Fonz of late. Mainly because I banned him and removed guest rights. He deserved it anyway. Putting up polls asking if the moderator of a board was doing the right thing to warn you is a very stupid thing to do, and I don't tolerate it.
Shouldn't you be talking about this on the "other site" that your referring to?
Old 20 May 2003, 22:18 (Ref:605371)   #24
frostblade
Racer

Probably, but we're nearly out of bandwidth at the moment, so shh ;-)
Old 20 May 2003, 22:31 (Ref:605385)   #25
JonesF1
Racer

JonesF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe Paffet should trace his bloodline to find that long lost great uncle who was half-Irish.
It works for some athletes.