Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 23 Aug 2008, 23:00 (Ref:2274056)   #1
matarleton
Racer

United States
Florida
matarleton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New Track Design

Ok, here it is. I have it in PDF format. It transfers better from the CAD. Please post any questions regarding the track. Also, I would appreciate a critique of the track from any. For purposes of scale, the width of the track at the start/finish line is 60'.

Please critique.

Thanks,

Matt
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Site Plan.pdf (291.5 KB, 389 views)
Old 24 Aug 2008, 00:28 (Ref:2274082)   #2
matarleton
Racer

United States
Florida
Old 24 Aug 2008, 00:47 (Ref:2274086)   #3
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Either I'm not using the right program or something happened because I couldn't make out a track outline in that picture. I suppose the other possibility is that it's really faint; if you've read through the thread on track safety, you should know that I don't see so well.
Old 24 Aug 2008, 00:53 (Ref:2274087)   #4
matarleton
Racer

United States
Florida
Its a PDF of a 36" x 48" blueprint. Very light until you start zooming in. The transfer from CAD to PDF takes away some of the fine differences in line weights. Hope you can make it out. Image files come out terrible.

Thanks,

Matt
Old 24 Aug 2008, 03:41 (Ref:2274107)   #5
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I faakin love it!

That kind of and infield gives huge number of variants,just make sure each and every possibility is covered, regarding stray cars/bikes. Make sure none of those can re-enter the circuit at a place somebody might get a nasty surprise, by using apropiate barriers and gravel pits. You will need to use the infield smartly so thet your track is not a glorified oval with eternal left hands and I'd love to see a detailed infiel proposal.

From what i see ,it looks very professional and advanced.

It also looks like you guys have lots of financial capability!
Old 24 Aug 2008, 07:20 (Ref:2274134)   #6
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Geraldton, W.A. or Beached is bro!
TilkeWannabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't see it either. Try tomorrow I will.
Old 24 Aug 2008, 12:04 (Ref:2274236)   #7
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good Looking track Matt.

Where is it located and what will be the distance?

Lots of new tracks in the SE US now.

Stark FL, Salsbury NC are two new tracks.

Along with all the other tracks, Roebling Road, Savanah GA, Sebring, Moroso FL, Barber in AL, Road Atlanta, Teledega GP,

Would love to know more. I rent tracks and put on driving schools severl times a year.
Old 24 Aug 2008, 12:49 (Ref:2274245)   #8
matarleton
Racer

United States
Florida
Track length is 2.6 miles. Minimum track width is 36' up to 60'. 10,300 square foot clubhouse, 104 trackside condos each with their own 32' x 32' garage, 210 16' x 24' garages and 148 acres for future development outside the track for motorsports industrial, commercial and retail. All FIA standards are clear on the track. We have an oversize pit lane, 30' pit boxes and an excellent location which I will reveal when we get a contract on the land (hopefully in the next few weeks).

I posted on the other board I didn't know where the Stark FL track is but now I remember. Its a rather small and narrow track.

Our facility is planned on 350 acres and is top of the line in alot of ways.

Very soon my design will be going to the engineers so any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt
Old 24 Aug 2008, 13:14 (Ref:2274249)   #9
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by matarleton
Track length is 2.6 miles. Minimum track width is 36' up to 60'. 10,300 square foot clubhouse, 104 trackside condos each with their own 32' x 32' garage, 210 16' x 24' garages and 148 acres for future development outside the track for motorsports industrial, commercial and retail. All FIA standards are clear on the track. We have an oversize pit lane, 30' pit boxes and an excellent location which I will reveal when we get a contract on the land (hopefully in the next few weeks).

I posted on the other board I didn't know where the Stark FL track is but now I remember. Its a rather small and narrow track.

Our facility is planned on 350 acres and is top of the line in alot of ways.

Very soon my design will be going to the engineers so any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

Cool Matt

Keep me posted

Tom
Old 24 Aug 2008, 13:51 (Ref:2274271)   #10
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WOW that's hardly a club track!

What would be the aproximate cost figure, in billion dollars?
Old 24 Aug 2008, 13:55 (Ref:2274275)   #11
matarleton
Racer

United States
Florida
No. Not billions. When you consider costs of construction of new F1 tracks from $300 - $500 million, this in no way even approaches that. I am not at liberty to say what the cost is but I can say that if things go as planned in the next few weeks, we will be ready to begin final approvals for construction.

Matt
Old 24 Aug 2008, 14:41 (Ref:2274304)   #12
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not sure which direction its going to run in but for me on first impressions...the pit exit whichever way fires the cars straight out into the racing line.

More comments once I've had time to look properly
Old 24 Aug 2008, 15:47 (Ref:2274351)   #13
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Tried the zoom last night, but no dice. I still couldn't see the outline of the track itself.
Old 24 Aug 2008, 16:20 (Ref:2274381)   #14
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Boys, try a little harder. I can see the track - and i like what i see.
Old 24 Aug 2008, 16:39 (Ref:2274396)   #15
matarleton
Racer

United States
Florida
The pits have been redesigned more times than anything. What we ultimately have arrived at is a pit system based on plenty of run out and visibility. To properly make the pit exits safer would be to slow down the on track traffic more in both areas. The pit exit (counter-clockwise running) brings the cars out on track close to the racing line but the hairpin is a late apex so we are estimating that it will not be as bad. The only other solution is a complete redesign. Still working on it. Good eye.

Thanks

Matt
Old 24 Aug 2008, 17:59 (Ref:2274471)   #16
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
US tracks run Clock wise for the most part.

Race organizations and race support ( Marshalls ) prefer clock wise tracks
Old 24 Aug 2008, 18:11 (Ref:2274477)   #17
matarleton
Racer

United States
Florida
Not only was it designed to run either direction but also that is what presents some of the biggest problems. The new pit design that is in the works will hopefully be a good balance.

By the way, for you guys who love straights... backstretch on this track is 3712' (1131 meters).

Matt
Old 24 Aug 2008, 18:46 (Ref:2274497)   #18
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
For those that can't see it, I've resized it and changed it into Jpg format. Hope that's ok.
Attached Thumbnails
attachment copy.jpg  

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 24 Aug 2008 at 18:50.
Old 24 Aug 2008, 19:36 (Ref:2274545)   #19
atomik99
Rookie

Canada
Canada
atomik99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very cool! I especially like the large amount of alternate routes.

Do you envision grandstands, viewing mounds, etc...?
Old 24 Aug 2008, 19:47 (Ref:2274554)   #20
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomik99
Very cool! I especially like the large amount of alternate routes.

Do you envision grandstands, viewing mounds, etc...?
\

Americans dont like watching race from grand stands. They want to be near the track and in the paddocks.
Old 24 Aug 2008, 19:50 (Ref:2274556)   #21
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by matarleton
Not only was it designed to run either direction but also that is what presents some of the biggest problems. The new pit design that is in the works will hopefully be a good balance.

By the way, for you guys who love straights... backstretch on this track is 3712' (1131 meters).

Matt

3712' whoo Hoo. 160 + mph YES babbyyyy

rember most teams prefer to have the pit wall and equipment on the RIGHT side of the car.

If track goes either way, in most cases you will need double the flag stands. One stand on a corner can not see both directions or is in the best viewing area for the drivers.

Stick with clock wise for most events.
Old 24 Aug 2008, 20:20 (Ref:2274584)   #22
matarleton
Racer

United States
Florida
Temporary grandstands (what you see on golf courses for tournaments) will be brought in for larger races if we have them. Lots of trackside viewing opportunities. This track is a semi-private country club. Up to 156 member track days per year. Thurs, Fri and Sat available for rental (however if a Fri, Sat, and/or Sun rental is needed we give the members a replacement day for their Sun).

Don't know if you noticed but the pitroad has 36 lofts for either condos or suites and there are also 68 trackside condos that are much larger.

I will be posting a revised design in PDF in a few minutes.

Thanks,

Matt
Old 24 Aug 2008, 20:43 (Ref:2274612)   #23
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
I'm curious to see the revised pit area as for me this is the circuit's weakest area.

I'd also agree that designing to run both directions is very difficult to do safely. AU N EGL has mentioned flag stands, but I'd also mention recovery vehicles.

If you look at a circuit of reasonable size, the walls/barriers to the sides of the straights have breaks in them, these breaks are overlapped so that a rescue vehicle can access the course but be safely behind the wall until needed.
Going the other way, these breaks in the wall literally become big holes in the safety of the circuit.

An example below, the Red arrow indicates the race direction with the yellow pointing to the rescue vehicle access point. Going the other way and the gap in the wall is huge, whether there is a recovery vehicle filling it or not.
Attached Thumbnails
walls.jpg  
Old 24 Aug 2008, 20:56 (Ref:2274627)   #24
matarleton
Racer

United States
Florida
Yes. We have though of this and are looking into moveable walls. Not K Rails but precast walls that can be lifted up and repositioned over a footing that has "holes" where re-enforced steel can be inserted through the wall and into the footing. Still playing with it. We don't know if anyone has done it anywhere else but we are still investigating it.

As far as direction, we are still looking at the main course being run counter clockwise. I know its different.

Matt
Old 24 Aug 2008, 21:33 (Ref:2274658)   #25
matarleton
Racer

United States
Florida
Here is a revision. Walls are in red for viewing purposes. In terms of track direction... counterclockwise. A few other revisions were made including an additional bus stop on the back stretch for variation. Pit road entrance and exit were changed quite a bit.

Thanks for your comments.

Matt
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Site Plan 2.pdf (330.2 KB, 73 views)