Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 26 Dec 2017, 17:22 (Ref:3789216)   #101
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As chunder says, it is not worth it as a privateer to run those cars. I do wonder where the cars will show up but doubt that all four of them, if any, will be in WRX.

Marklund actually took the car back from Wilks in Latvia since Wilks had not payed for the car. Marklund also has a number of supercars for sell I believe.
Old 26 Dec 2017, 18:57 (Ref:3789220)   #102
HoleInTheHedge
Rookie

European Union
HoleInTheHedge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfades View Post
As chunder says, it is not worth it as a privateer to run those cars. I do wonder where the cars will show up but doubt that all four of them, if any, will be in WRX.

Marklund actually took the car back from Wilks in Latvia since Wilks had not payed for the car. Marklund also has a number of supercars for sell I believe.
I wouldn’t like to blacken Guy Wilks name...
correct me if I’m wrong but I’m led to believe that the car was to be bought and run by Loco and Guy was the team driver....
Old 27 Dec 2017, 00:04 (Ref:3789244)   #103
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoleInTheHedge View Post
I wouldn’t like to blacken Guy Wilks name...
correct me if I’m wrong but I’m led to believe that the car was to be bought and run by Loco and Guy was the team driver....
It unfortunately is the truth. I don't know exactly how the team was managed but from my understanding Wilks was a leading figure and the person who put together the team. Besides, Loco was a sponsor of Anton Marklund at the time.

From Wilks Twitter: "Just to let you all know I've decided to vacate the driving seat in the loco WRX team.
Thanks for all your support!"

He made no further comments that I know of as to why he vacated his seat.
Old 27 Dec 2017, 13:54 (Ref:3789323)   #104
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have seen several conversations with regards to Loco Energy on Facebook. I take a lot of what is said on FB with a pinch of salt, but there were several comments suggesting that both Guy Wilks and Janis Baumanis have been left out of pocket because of promises made by Loco.

There was also a story doing the rounds about Wilks car in Canada a few months ago. Again I haven't read that in any official press releases, so I wouldn't want to critique anyone unfairly, but it placed yet another question mark beside Loco Energy.

A little bit of Google research on Loco (and the names behind it) raises a lot of questions as well.

With everything I have seen and heard thus far, I'd be very surprised to see the brand back next year. And if the rumours are true, I hope the financial damage done to the drivers involved is minimal.
Old 27 Dec 2017, 20:28 (Ref:3789365)   #105
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Why would anyone put any faith in an energy drink company no-one has heard of with no visibility anywhere else in motorsport. In a series backed by one of the biggest companies in that industry.

Naive springs to mind sadly
Old 29 Dec 2017, 23:08 (Ref:3789689)   #106
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
The huge involvement of Loco was too good to be true.
Old 2 Jan 2018, 15:02 (Ref:3790319)   #107
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
The huge involvement of Loco was too good to be true.
Yeah, a company that appeared overnight and seemed to be throwing all its money at motorsport did seem a bit too good to be true.

MJP Racing shared some potential liveries for 2018 on Facebook:

They have been advertising the 2017 cars for sale for a few weeks but, based on the above images, it looks like they will be back in new Fiestas this year.

(And I prefer the green!)
Old 2 Jan 2018, 18:59 (Ref:3790349)   #108
J.U.
Racer

Germany
Hamburg
J.U. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
They have been advertising the 2017 cars for sale for a few weeks but, based on the above images, it looks like they will be back in new Fiestas this year.
I would prefer to see them running the new Fiesta, but as they use the R5 as their base car it´s not really a surprise that they don´t do that... And please use stickers for the headlights! The carbon looks terrible...
Old 2 Jan 2018, 19:31 (Ref:3790352)   #109
mivec
Racer

Belgium
Belgium
mivec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is a new (to me) energy drink on the move for World RX 2018!

Xite with Oliver Bennet: http://www.xiteracing.com/autosport-2018-xite-energy/
Old 2 Jan 2018, 20:05 (Ref:3790356)   #110
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by mivec View Post
There is a new (to me) energy drink on the move for World RX 2018!

Xite with Oliver Bennet: http://www.xiteracing.com/autosport-2018-xite-energy/
Xite were backing Bennett in the British Championship last year, I had never heard of them until I saw the logo on the car!

I believe there is some money behind Xite: there was a McLaren on track at Lydden last year which I understand was owned by someone in the company.
Old 2 Jan 2018, 22:08 (Ref:3790374)   #111
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
The green MJN car looks nice.
Old 3 Jan 2018, 09:01 (Ref:3790429)   #112
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I believe there is some money behind Xite: there was a McLaren on track at Lydden last year which I understand was owned by someone in the company.
Yep - and then there was a McLaren off the track and in the barriers

So there's some money there but I'm surprised there's enough to make the jump to the World Championship. Is this a repeat of the 'Loco' scenario?
Old 3 Jan 2018, 11:29 (Ref:3790448)   #113
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Yep - and then there was a McLaren off the track and in the barriers
Yep, that's the one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
So there's some money there but I'm surprised there's enough to make the jump to the World Championship. Is this a repeat of the 'Loco' scenario?
Yeah, even the "majority" of the World rounds is a hell of a jump for the team and Bennett.

I have just had a brief dig online and it looks like Bennett is the director of three Xite companies, so that seems a different situation to Loco. Xite is seemingly a very young company (or rather companies) though, so it is quite surprising that it is fronting something so big, so soon after it's creation...

...interestingly a similar search for Loco now shows that it has changed it's name (to "Humble Energy Ltd.") and the company appears to be attempting to dissolve itself. Guess that confirms they won't be appearing in the paddock in 2018.

GCK - Renault Megane RS RX - Guerlain Chicherit (World RX)
GCK - Renault Megane RS RX - ? (World RX)
Peugeot Sport? - Peugeot 208 - Sebastien Loeb (World RX)
PSRXVW - Volkswagen Polo - Johan Kristoffersson (World RX?)
PSRXVW - Volkswagen Polo - Petter Solberg? (World RX?)

Xite Racing - Ford Fiesta - Oliver Bennett (Select World RX)

G-FORS - Renault Clio RS RX - Jere Kalliokoski (Euro RX)
G-FORS - Renault Clio RS RX - ? (Euro RX)
Old 3 Jan 2018, 13:24 (Ref:3790456)   #114
RichP
Rookie

RichP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

If you dig a bit more you will see that Mr Bennett has a few other companies that seem to be doing rather well and the rallycross is used as a promotional tool for the energy drink. Also, he has been on social media saying that a new car is in build for 2018 (which I have heard won't be a Fiesta)
Old 3 Jan 2018, 14:10 (Ref:3790466)   #115
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichP View Post
If you dig a bit more you will see that Mr Bennett has a few other companies that seem to be doing rather well and the rallycross is used as a promotional tool for the energy drink. Also, he has been on social media saying that a new car is in build for 2018 (which I have heard won't be a Fiesta)
Yeah, I saw him named as the director of a number of companies, only three of which carried the Xite name. What you say certainly sounds less dubious than the Loco situation!

I forgot he mentioned a new car for 2018, I can't edit the previous post but I will tweak the list next time there is another addition to it!
Old 3 Jan 2018, 14:31 (Ref:3790468)   #116
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't it great that Companies House is now free so we can all look at how wealthy these guys are. The real money seems to be in his family's property firm, Vantage point. There's some serious money there. Good on him. I welcome all those with money to buy a supercar and have a go. I still miss Jos Jansen.
Old 3 Jan 2018, 17:29 (Ref:3790494)   #117
J.U.
Racer

Germany
Hamburg
J.U. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Olsbergs MSE is testing this week with both the Civic Type-R and the old Fiesta at the Circuit Mallorca. I still hope that they return to World RX this year...
Old 3 Jan 2018, 21:59 (Ref:3790543)   #118
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.U. View Post
Olsbergs MSE is testing this week with both the Civic Type-R and the old Fiesta at the Circuit Mallorca. I still hope that they return to World RX this year...
Would be fantastic to see the Civic in the World Championship!
Old 4 Jan 2018, 13:02 (Ref:3790612)   #119
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Heard a rumour a while ago that Eriksson had lost interest in GRC. Before that there was a rumour that 2017 might have been a sabbatical year for the team and that they aimed for a WRX comeback in 2018.
Old 4 Jan 2018, 13:07 (Ref:3790614)   #120
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Heard a rumour a while ago that Eriksson had lost interest in GRC. Before that there was a rumour that 2017 might have been a sabbatical year for the team and that they aimed for a WRX comeback in 2018.
With the loss of Hoonigan Racing it would be great to see a known team like OMSE back, especially if they brought a different car into the mix.

How much are Honda contributing to the OMSE GRC campaign? Could sponsor money determine where the team end up next year?
Old 4 Jan 2018, 14:53 (Ref:3790633)   #121
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
With the loss of Hoonigan Racing it would be great to see a known team like OMSE back, especially if they brought a different car into the mix.

How much are Honda contributing to the OMSE GRC campaign? Could sponsor money determine where the team end up next year?
I have no idea of how much they have contributed, the cars were built in Sweden at least. There was guy who told me that the Civic is basically a OMSE Fiesta though so maybe they aren't contributing much. Fits well with the rumour of Eriksson leaving GRC, not getting much for it perhaps.

About GRC, it is scheduled to have its final round in Europe (?!?!) in 2018.

http://redbullglobalrallycross.com/n...vent-schedule/
Old 4 Jan 2018, 15:27 (Ref:3790647)   #122
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
I have no idea of how much they have contributed, the cars were built in Sweden at least. There was guy who told me that the Civic is basically a OMSE Fiesta though so maybe they aren't contributing much. Fits well with the rumour of Eriksson leaving GRC, not getting much for it perhaps.
There was an article in Race Tech magazine about the Civic a while ago: although its a pretty plain looking rallycross Supercar (well, I think it is), there are actually some pretty clever ideas going on with it.

Quote:
About GRC, it is scheduled to have its final round in Europe (?!?!) in 2018.

http://redbullglobalrallycross.com/n...vent-schedule/
Just posted about that in the GRC thread! Interesting move, that weekend doesn't appear to clash with any World or National Championship rounds. Depending on where it is could we see some Europeans running at a GRC event?
Old 4 Jan 2018, 17:18 (Ref:3790667)   #123
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Having a round in Europe is surely for some reasons in order to have some more cars, 10 cars just isn't good enough.

I wonder if it also might be some kind of a peak towards the European side of rallycross, like a power struggle of some sort. WRX has gotten the popular one over the years now and with a round at the Circuit of Americas it gotta sting for the people of GRC.

Furthermore, having the drivers of GRC competing against European drivers could also be somewhat of a power competition I think. Beating Europeans at their own game and at their own soil (irrelevant of newly built or traditional rallycross track) would be a boost for American rallycross.
Old 4 Jan 2018, 18:21 (Ref:3790680)   #124
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Let's be honest GRC has run its course anyway

If it were not for Red Bull keeping it going it would have died a few years back. There is just no need for two series
Old 5 Jan 2018, 09:56 (Ref:3790777)   #125
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Having a round in Europe is surely for some reasons in order to have some more cars, 10 cars just isn't good enough.

I wonder if it also might be some kind of a peak towards the European side of rallycross, like a power struggle of some sort. WRX has gotten the popular one over the years now and with a round at the Circuit of Americas it gotta sting for the people of GRC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Let's be honest GRC has run its course anyway

If it were not for Red Bull keeping it going it would have died a few years back. There is just no need for two series
I haven't been following the GRC closely over the last couple of years but, as a casual viewer, I do get the sense the series is in decline. Perhaps that is a biased view given that I predominantly follow the World Championship.

Coming to Europe does seem a pretty bold move and it's surely going to be a costly endeavour for a handful of cars.

Quote:
Furthermore, having the drivers of GRC competing against European drivers could also be somewhat of a power competition I think. Beating Europeans at their own game and at their own soil (irrelevant of newly built or traditional rallycross track) would be a boost for American rallycross.
I hope the GRC select a venue which is within reach of some of the top European (and/or World) front runners. There is still the question about the difference in Championship regulations, though hopefully that is something that can be easily addressed.

I'm not sure how the cars got to South Africa last year. With round 11 (Germany) taking place in mid-October, will the World cars already be on the way to South Africa by late October? Would be nice to see PSRXVW or EKS show up and give the VARX Beetles a good thrashing!