Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 6 Nov 2018, 21:38 (Ref:3861470)   #2201
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
I'm just amazed at the products they stock, like Heinz Salad Cream & Sandwich Spread - does anybody still buy those anywhere?
I'm not sure you can get them here!

French market only?

(Actually not entirely true but the Salad Cream is not as one remembers it and the Sandwich Spread - I spotted some last year and decided it had to be tried as possibly suitable for the Grandson's introduction to history by the medium of food - was incredibly bland. So I didn't foist it on him.)

They don't by any chance stock Pan Yan pickle do they John? That really does seem to have vanished entirely.
Old 6 Nov 2018, 21:40 (Ref:3861471)   #2202
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Speaking of smuggling, customs stopped a Brit in a van here the other day & found 22kg of cocaine in a secret compartment that could only be accessed with a remote control. He was a plumber from London but I guess he won't be fixing any drains for a while!

So what did they do to get into it?

Faucet?
Old 6 Nov 2018, 21:42 (Ref:3861472)   #2203
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Although our Mayor in Mojacar has said that the Brits should be OK I don't know how we will fare in Spain ? there might be some cheap places for sale next year
Apparantly house prices are due to drop by 30% here as well.....
Old 6 Nov 2018, 21:58 (Ref:3861474)   #2204
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Just sold ours, awaiting exchange of contracts
Old 6 Nov 2018, 22:02 (Ref:3861475)   #2205
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
I'm not sure you can get them here!

French market only?

(Actually not entirely true but the Salad Cream is not as one remembers it and the Sandwich Spread - I spotted some last year and decided it had to be tried as possibly suitable for the Grandson's introduction to history by the medium of food - was incredibly bland. So I didn't foist it on him.)

They don't by any chance stock Pan Yan pickle do they John? That really does seem to have vanished entirely.

Couldn't honestly say but I'll have a look next time.
Old 6 Nov 2018, 22:04 (Ref:3861477)   #2206
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Faucet?
The report didn't say, but presumably the hand control. Been trying to use one of those universal ones on a TV this week but it doesn't work!
Old 6 Nov 2018, 22:05 (Ref:3861478)   #2207
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Well, if there is such a housing shortage and youngsters are unable to save enough money for a deposit (so go off and see the world instead - or is that why they don't save the money?) a 30% fall should help them out and drive demand ...

In which case the demand should push prices up again.

That is until people realise that JLR's cutbacks in Coventry (and Michelin closing a factory in Dundee) are probably much more to do with cheap labour elsewhere - where is it that JLR have opened or are opening a new Factory? - rather than any other reason. Likewise building the i-Pace in Austria.

JLR seem to be thinking that their main market will soon be China (probably is already) and a growing opportunity in India.

When you are an Indian owned company with what seems to be a form of Global brand and not much of your production being sold in its traditional homeland - what would you do apart for move it?

Heck, even HP sauce is now made in Holland and has been for a while.

I expect even the Fish and chips we eat are probably fish landed by Spanish fishing boats and the potatoes from Morocco or Egypt.

Anyway, once the economy has adjusted to a new normal and the housing 'crisis' has been fixed with just about affordable Pre-Fabs we can seek out some affordable energy sources and attract manufacturing for the European and North American market back to Blighty, without all of the Red Tape and regulation that others will find so destructive of their economies.

Old 6 Nov 2018, 22:06 (Ref:3861480)   #2208
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Well at least that's good news!

Don't pay too much attention to the BBC, Mike - remember they are being paid by Brussels...
Old 6 Nov 2018, 22:20 (Ref:3861482)   #2209
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Well, if there is such a housing shortage and youngsters are unable to save enough money for a deposit (so go off and see the world instead - or is that why they don't save the money?) a 30% fall should help them out and drive demand ...

In which case the demand should push prices up again.

That is until people realise that JLR's cutbacks in Coventry (and Michelin closing a factory in Dundee) are probably much more to do with cheap labour elsewhere - where is it that JLR have opened or are opening a new Factory? - rather than any other reason. Likewise building the i-Pace in Austria.

JLR seem to be thinking that their main market will soon be China (probably is already) and a growing opportunity in India.

When you are an Indian owned company with what seems to be a form of Global brand and not much of your production being sold in its traditional homeland - what would you do apart for move it?

Heck, even HP sauce is now made in Holland and has been for a while.

I expect even the Fish and chips we eat are probably fish landed by Spanish fishing boats and the potatoes from Morocco or Egypt.

Anyway, once the economy has adjusted to a new normal and the housing 'crisis' has been fixed with just about affordable Pre-Fabs we can seek out some affordable energy sources and attract manufacturing for the European and North American market back to Blighty, without all of the Red Tape and regulation that others will find so destructive of their economies.

I visited the JLR Classic factory last week & judging by the prices being quoted that's where the real money is being made! In the meantime, they can bash out the current stuff cheaply in some East European hole & then rebuild it in Coventry in years to come at vast profit!

Or am I just being cynical?
Old 6 Nov 2018, 22:57 (Ref:3861486)   #2210
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
I visited the JLR Classic factory last week & judging by the prices being quoted that's where the real money is being made! In the meantime, they can bash out the current stuff cheaply in some East European hole & then rebuild it in Coventry in years to come at vast profit!

What in earth would they be rebuilding of today's offerings? (Though I get your drift about profitability.)

And why?

I think Ferrari with their self torching options - probably rather useful for many of their clientele in a tight spot - have the best strategy. No long wait for historic rebuilds when you can increase today's revenue with insurance money.

And where will people be allowed to use them?
Old 6 Nov 2018, 23:22 (Ref:3861492)   #2211
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Ah well our place in Spain has gone up and down like a yoyo over the years so que sara sara
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 7 Nov 2018, 06:14 (Ref:3861544)   #2212
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Why that? They make business, that's it. Logical, not illegal. May be you can ask Your Lady about Coluche when he said: " Tant qu'ils trouvent des couillons pour payer!"
Old 7 Nov 2018, 06:42 (Ref:3861550)   #2213
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Ah well our place in Spain has gone up and down like a yoyo over the years so que sara sara
What’s Sara got to do with anything?

John, the 2018 Jag Challenge end of season bash is at JLR Classic and, having missed out last year due the date clashing with a race, I’ve made attending it a priority this year! And it’s free to Challenge competitors.....
Old 7 Nov 2018, 07:21 (Ref:3861552)   #2214
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
What’s Sara got to do with anything?

John, the 2018 Jag Challenge end of season bash is at JLR Classic and, having missed out last year due the date clashing with a race, I’ve made attending it a priority this year! And it’s free to Challenge competitors.....

Do go - it's well worth a look. And hopefully you'll get to see the Peter Hull Collection. There's a few gems in there.
Old 7 Nov 2018, 08:40 (Ref:3861572)   #2215
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Why that? They make business, that's it. Logical, not illegal. May be you can ask Your Lady about Coluche when he said: " Tant qu'ils trouvent des couillons pour payer!"
I'm not knocking it, Gerard - if there's money to be made there, then why not?

I just wish I was younger; it's the sort of environment I would like to have worked in.
Old 7 Nov 2018, 12:35 (Ref:3861616)   #2216
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Ah, a saviour for all our problems has been put forward......

Tax red meat!
Old 7 Nov 2018, 12:38 (Ref:3861617)   #2217
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Indeed, let's make meat so expensive, the farmers will be unable to keep going.
Old 7 Nov 2018, 13:03 (Ref:3861621)   #2218
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

Faucet?

Probably tapped into the ether......or twisted the battery - always works for our remote......
Old 7 Nov 2018, 14:21 (Ref:3861630)   #2219
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
A tax on red meat? You must be happy to buy paint much cheaper than in other countries, then
Old 7 Nov 2018, 14:50 (Ref:3861638)   #2220
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
A tax on red meat? You must be happy to buy paint much cheaper than in other countries, then

And cars. And shoes.

Shoes are very expensive in France.
Old 7 Nov 2018, 14:50 (Ref:3861639)   #2221
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Why not tax red meat, and white meat, sausages, pork pies, petrol, fags, booze, sex, historic racing, comics, forums, anything that people enjoy. Then we can spend millions of tax payers money on all sorts of benefits for the idle, 'disabled' (yeah!), immigrants, and all of the dossers of society. Then we can boast about our liberal, caring, multi cultural country, and be proud to be British.

Citizen Bauble
Old 7 Nov 2018, 16:19 (Ref:3861655)   #2222
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Citizens Bob and John, please note that in France not only shoes are already heavily taxed! Petrol, Bob, you can't imagine. I won't comment about sex and my translator suggest several meanings to "fags". Cigarettes may be?
If you make the addition of the pensions being targeted and the meat too, it makes sens. Yes it does. Old people can't go to the dentist, making impossible to chew any red meat See now?
Sea now, I just hope for the sailors they won't invent a new tax on the wind, because the boats are already taxed! Not mentioning historic racing…
Old 7 Nov 2018, 16:50 (Ref:3861664)   #2223
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
Robyn Slater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A tax on gammon would bring in £millions
Old 7 Nov 2018, 18:48 (Ref:3861686)   #2224
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Ha, almost forget, we have to register our bicycles and engrave them now and they invented a new regulation for the electric trotinettes (which is a good thing imho).
Old 7 Nov 2018, 19:43 (Ref:3861690)   #2225
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Ha, almost forget, we have to register our bicycles and engrave them now and they invented a new regulation for the electric trotinettes (which is a good thing imho).
Soon they will need tracking devices.

For security of course.

When they are stolen you wil not need to trouble the Gendarmes - you will be able to trace them yourself.

If they are abandoned by the thief it will be your responsibility to collect whatever is left within 24hours in order to avoid a fine for littering.
Closed Thread