Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 20 Sep 2005, 17:53 (Ref:1412428)   #1
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
SCSA at Oulton, Snett and Other "Proper" Tracks

I've heard a rumour that the SCSA are to have a few rounds away from the Oval at Rockingham in 2006.

Oulton & Snetterton have been a whisper - anyone have any more info?
Old 20 Sep 2005, 18:31 (Ref:1412463)   #2
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The SCSA are looking at Brands, Oulton and Snett. This link to the SCSA forum has more info http://dot.motorsportforum.com/forum...hreadid=111481
Old 20 Sep 2005, 18:44 (Ref:1412472)   #3
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
The do it in NASCAR (or did I have not watched lately) so why not, the road courses are my favourite, I did read somewhere the top teams have different cars for the road courses, not sure if that was true or not, I know the IROC Banjo Matthews chassis car that I am playing with was used on both in the 70's they just tweaked with the set up.
Old 20 Sep 2005, 18:49 (Ref:1412473)   #4
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What's all this "Road Course" stuff?
A road course surely is ...er....a road!
The MSV locations are Circuits used for racing - drivers have to steer left AND right.
Not taking anything away from the Rock but I think the series will benefit from showcasing at these venues and hopefully encourage people to visit the Oval.

PS - Mr Mod.....Perhaps I posted this in the wrong Forum?
Old 20 Sep 2005, 18:50 (Ref:1412474)   #5
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
The do it in NASCAR (or did I have not watched lately) so why not, the road courses are my favourite, I did read somewhere the top teams have different cars for the road courses, not sure if that was true or not, I know the IROC Banjo Matthews chassis car that I am playing with was used on both in the 70's they just tweaked with the set up.

NASCAR teams do build different cars for road courses just as they build different cars for short tracks, speedways and plate tracks ( Daytona and Talladega). A single car NASCAR Nextel Cup team has around 10 or more cars for the season ( that is without wrecks). The two road courses in NNC are Sears Point and Watkins Glen
Old 20 Sep 2005, 18:51 (Ref:1412478)   #6
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell
What's all this "Road Course" stuff?
A road course surely is ...er....a road!
The MSV locations are Circuits used for racing - drivers have to steer left AND right.
Not taking anything away from the Rock but I think the series will benefit from showcasing at these venues and hopefully encourage people to visit the Oval.
In oval racing, any track that is not an oval is classed as a road course.
Old 20 Sep 2005, 18:51 (Ref:1412479)   #7
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarmarshal
In oval racing, any track that is not an oval is classed as a road course.

Ah!
Old 20 Sep 2005, 19:21 (Ref:1412504)   #8
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Yes and Circle Racing (or Circuit) is Ovals so its the same language just a different meaning. You have to be careful when buying stuff like sumps as you want a Road Course sunmp not a Circle Track if it is for UK circuit racing (confused). And talking of sump and oil control I hope if the Ascar boys do take to the road courses they don't have a repeat of that debacle with the engines they had when they started, man that must have cost someone a lot of money.
Old 20 Sep 2005, 19:38 (Ref:1412520)   #9
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Alan Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I posted on the 'looking forward to 2006' thread, SCSA have announced they're looking at the MSV circuits (not Cadwell) for next year, after series bosses had serious discussions with J.P.

The teams have mixed views due to the supposed increase in costs for changing a car from oval to circuit[road] - chassis, engines, & suspension all need complete reworking.

Al.
Old 20 Sep 2005, 20:04 (Ref:1412552)   #10
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
I Knew I'd seen it somewhere.......!!
Sorry Al!
Old 20 Sep 2005, 21:43 (Ref:1412629)   #11
Stevespurr
Veteran

Stevespurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Green
As I posted on the 'looking forward to 2006' thread, SCSA have announced they're looking at the MSV circuits (not Cadwell) for next year, after series bosses had serious discussions with J.P.

The teams have mixed views due to the supposed increase in costs for changing a car from oval to circuit[road] - chassis, engines, & suspension all need complete reworking.

Al.
Why not Cadwell AL?

Its as good as the rest of the circuits
Old 20 Sep 2005, 22:02 (Ref:1412639)   #12
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it's a cracking circuit, but how the hell are you gonna get them tanks round it? I love the SCSA style racing and would love to see them at OP, but the cost is pretty high to "convert" the cars. Let's hope they manage it, would be nice to see yet more different cars.
Old 20 Sep 2005, 22:42 (Ref:1412668)   #13
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I have allways managed to get my tanks around it, no overtaking round the mountain though but that is the guy behind me problem :-).
Old 21 Sep 2005, 13:28 (Ref:1413097)   #14
gwar
Racer

gwar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Mark Mitchell]Not taking anything away from the Rock but I think the series will benefit from showcasing at these venues and hopefully encourage people to visit the Oval.

Yes mark i quite agree, the more people who see this series the better it will grow, especially with the added road courses we could see a good mix of teams up front.
One of our freinds in pickup trucks allways struggles at the rock, but fairs alot better at thruxton, mallory.. so this really helps to have a better season.
Old 21 Sep 2005, 16:08 (Ref:1413200)   #15
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Steve, I'd love them to add Cadwell to the list but somehow I don't think it'll happen. It'd be a heck of a challenge for them.

Al.
Old 21 Sep 2005, 16:16 (Ref:1413208)   #16
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster

In a shameless hijacking, while there is an SCSA thread, last meeting of the year is approaching at Rockingham, 1st/2nd October. SCSA championship to be decided, 12 drivers battling for the pick-up titles, plus on the infield Mini 7/Miglia non-championship races, and a pair of open BRSCC Saloon non-championship races. Marshals required for both days, regardless of grade as it's all hands on deck for manning the infield. Anyone interested get in touch with Sara at BARC or the usual SCSA suspects. We are also looking for new oval observers for next season, and it's a lot different to normal observing. Anyone fancys a go, get in touch.

Apologes for the intrusion,
Al.
Old 21 Sep 2005, 18:32 (Ref:1413300)   #17
SRPhoto
Veteran

Wales
Wrexham
SRPhoto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell
I've heard a rumour that the SCSA are to have a few rounds away from the Oval at Rockingham in 2006.

Oulton & Snetterton have been a whisper
Just watched them on Motors TV, wow love them to visit Oulton!
Do the SCSA clan look after and respect us guys/gals in Orange?

BMMC Member since Oct 2001
Marshalled my first Rally on 9th March 2002 (Malcolm Wilson Rally)
Marshalled my first Race on 6th April 2002 (750MC - Oulton Park)
Marshalled my first British F1 GP 18th/20th July 2003
Old 21 Sep 2005, 19:05 (Ref:1413321)   #18
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
thepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Come play with the SCSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRPhoto
Do the SCSA clan look after and respect us guys/gals in Orange?
You bet! Although I'm in Red at SCSA, I'm normally seen in orange at other circuits (unless I'm being 'posh'!)

Come along to "The Show" - Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 21 Sep 2005, 19:08 (Ref:1413323)   #19
SRPhoto
Veteran

Wales
Wrexham
SRPhoto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Come on JP!!!

Get them at Oulton

BMMC Member since Oct 2001
Marshalled my first Rally on 9th March 2002 (Malcolm Wilson Rally)
Marshalled my first Race on 6th April 2002 (750MC - Oulton Park)
Marshalled my first British F1 GP 18th/20th July 2003
Old 21 Sep 2005, 21:42 (Ref:1413460)   #20
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They are really impressive on the oval (and more so from the seat of the pace car - that's a day I'll never forget). I really fancy joining the Obs team for the ovals. For those who've experienced the land line system, it's more like course control on a hill climb than traditional circuit observing. Unfortunately, the first Sunday of the month seems to have clashed unavoidably all year, and I suspect next year is going to be the same. Ho, hum.

Back to the thread, I hope that they do add a 'road' course or two, but don't move away from the traditional oval. It's the fact that they are different from everything else that makes them appealing. It's a shame that there can't be other support series running on the oval rather than the infield. However, if a couple of other circuits helps lift the entry, then it's worthwhile. IMO the one thing lacking is numbers - another 20 on the entry list would make all the difference.
Old 21 Sep 2005, 21:46 (Ref:1413465)   #21
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
They are really impressive on the oval (and more so from the seat of the pace car - that's a day I'll never forget). I really fancy joining the Obs team for the ovals. For those who've experienced the land line system, it's more like course control on a hill climb than traditional circuit observing. Unfortunately, the first Sunday of the month seems to have clashed unavoidably all year, and I suspect next year is going to be the same. Ho, hum.

Back to the thread, I hope that they do add a 'road' course or two, but don't move away from the traditional oval. It's the fact that they are different from everything else that makes them appealing. It's a shame that there can't be other support series running on the oval rather than the infield. However, if a couple of other circuits helps lift the entry, then it's worthwhile. IMO the one thing lacking is numbers - another 20 on the entry list would make all the difference.
Next year will be different to this year as far as date are concerned. The opener is over Easter. Obs 1 next year will need a new Observer as I am retiring from marshalling after next week. Pick Ups run on the oval and produce good close racing.
Old 22 Sep 2005, 11:25 (Ref:1413825)   #22
robert77
Racer

England
Worcestershire/Shropshire border
robert77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrobert77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SCSA on road courses? It get's more and more like NASCAR everyday.
Having said that, I think it'll be good for the championship.
And my I suggest that Brands Indy would be a good circuit to get them on?
Old 22 Sep 2005, 12:28 (Ref:1413882)   #23
COLIN STUBBS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Louth.Thats the one near Cadwell
COLIN STUBBS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
would be a helluva spectacle at cadwell though!! is it the narrow track thats the main concern or is it the lack of garages/facilities and the partisan crowd of 15 spectators,a few rabbits and a sheep that we usually get?
bet the real drivers would love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 22 Sep 2005, 16:22 (Ref:1414135)   #24
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally I think Thruxton, Brands Indy, and Snetterton would be the way to go. Circuits like Cadwell and Oulton would just be too twisty given that the teams would have to convert the cars from Oval Spec to Road Spec and back again. Might be doable in the States but then the average Nextel Cup or Busch team owns more chassis than half the SCSA grid collectively.
Old 22 Sep 2005, 21:20 (Ref:1414323)   #25
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Looking at our circuits and comparing them to NASCAR, I'd suggest the Oulton is reminiscent of the Glen, and Donington is fairly similar to Infineon (nee Sears Point)...