Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 16 Jul 2019, 13:39 (Ref:3918010)   #126
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
Was the old Audi V8 DTM car from the early 90s not aloominum?
Nope, the first gen A8 which replaced it was though but I don’t think that ever raced.
Old 17 Jul 2019, 07:22 (Ref:3918099)   #127
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
cant be too difficult.
Jaguar built a gt4 race car (aluminium body shell) last year

https://www.jaguar.co.uk/news/f-type...t-edition.html
It’s not difficult - most GT3 cars are Ali with bolt in cages it just cannot be as stiff as a welded in cage and I would have thought the cage becomes the deciding factor in chassis stiffness
Old 17 Jul 2019, 07:36 (Ref:3918103)   #128
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
It’s not difficult - most GT3 cars are Ali with bolt in cages it just cannot be as stiff as a welded in cage and I would have thought the cage becomes the deciding factor in chassis stiffness
I'm not an expert in the field, but looking at the technical build specs of an NGTC car, it appears that their would be no difference in chassis stiffness between cars with a bonded or welded ROPS.

The sub frames attach to the ROPS, creating a 3-box construct into which all of the drive train and suspension elements are fitted. The body can be seen as an external attachment to the actual car.
Old 23 Jul 2019, 10:42 (Ref:3918989)   #129
Johno.UK
Racer

Johno.UK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should really be in the 2022 thread but it's a bit early for that.

Hybrid is here: http://www.btcc.net/2019/07/23/coswo...K8Ncx-Z2GLoeVk
Old 23 Jul 2019, 10:48 (Ref:3918990)   #130
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good to get some clarification on how it will be physically implemented, I’m not sure about the push to pass thing though, I have a horrible feeling that an extra 40bhp will just make overtakes too easy.

Means the cars will be well over 400bhp then too, which is crazy power for front wheel drive, race car or not!
Old 23 Jul 2019, 11:41 (Ref:3918996)   #131
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Marriott View Post
I’m not sure about the push to pass thing though, I have a horrible feeling that an extra 40bhp will just make overtakes too easy.
Agree with this. No problem with hybridisation, but, IMHO, should absolutely not be used as a push to pash system. Essentially it, means most of the overtakes we see will be down to power, not driving skill, which to me defeats the whole point of motorsport.

We have plenty of overtaking action at the moment, there is no need to artifically create more.
Old 23 Jul 2019, 12:01 (Ref:3919000)   #132
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Agree with this. No problem with hybridisation, but, IMHO, should absolutely not be used as a push to pash system. Essentially it, means most of the overtakes we see will be down to power, not driving skill, which to me defeats the whole point of motorsport.

We have plenty of overtaking action at the moment, there is no need to artifically create more.
It says it can be used for push to pass and for defending. It will depend on how wisely drivers use the system and whether they give enough time to regenerate so they can take full advantage of the extra power.
Old 23 Jul 2019, 12:21 (Ref:3919009)   #133
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With the introduction of Hybrid technology I think BTCC are moving away from the type of regulations that other touring car series use and putting off competitors from abroad from taking part on a guest basis.

The days of guest drivers from other overseas series is over.
Old 23 Jul 2019, 12:26 (Ref:3919011)   #134
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
But the BTCC Cars are already built to a unique specification for the series anyway. It's not been to an International specification since Group A was dropped in the 90's.
Old 23 Jul 2019, 12:36 (Ref:3919015)   #135
RS67
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
But the BTCC Cars are already built to a unique specification for the series anyway. It's not been to an International specification since Group A was dropped in the 90's.
Group A was superseded by the Class 2 2.0 cars, which became known as Super Tourers in 95. The class was used in just about every touring car championship around the world. It wasn't a unique Btcc specification.
Old 23 Jul 2019, 12:40 (Ref:3919017)   #136
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS67 View Post
Group A was superseded by the Class 2 2.0 cars, which became known as Super Tourers in 95. The class was used in just about every touring car championship around the world. It wasn't a unique Btcc specification.
OK, but as far as I'm aware, the current (pre-hybrid) cars are built to a unique set of regulations that is only used in the BTCC?
Old 23 Jul 2019, 12:45 (Ref:3919019)   #137
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Exactly. NGTC.

This is NGTC with some hybrid gubbins added.

So no more or less likely to put off Johnny Foreigner.
Old 23 Jul 2019, 12:54 (Ref:3919020)   #138
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Gonna be interesting without Success Ballest. I think it's alright, but it will be nice to see cars qualify on pure pace
Old 23 Jul 2019, 13:16 (Ref:3919027)   #139
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Gonna be interesting without Success Ballest. I think it's alright, but it will be nice to see cars qualify on pure pace
It still won't be pure pace though, instead of ballast the cars will have an incremental restriction on the amount of hybrid power available to the leading drivers so although they will all be the same weight, some will have more power than others...
Old 23 Jul 2019, 13:22 (Ref:3919029)   #140
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I’d have preferred a passive system, whereby it gave drivers an extra boost out of slow corners say, from 0kph to 140kph, after which the system shut off.
Old 23 Jul 2019, 15:34 (Ref:3919040)   #141
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Push to pass can be quite ok tbh, in DTM and IndyCar it works well, I mean, P2P is better than DRS, for example, as it's used not only for attacking but also defending. So it may prove quite successful.
I'm happy performance weights will be scrapped but still shame the amount of power would be smaller for the quicker ones.
Old 23 Jul 2019, 17:24 (Ref:3919049)   #142
RS67
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
It still won't be pure pace though, instead of ballast the cars will have an incremental restriction on the amount of hybrid power available to the leading drivers so although they will all be the same weight, some will have more power than others...
It still relies on whether a driver has used up the extra power at any given time.
Old 23 Jul 2019, 18:01 (Ref:3919059)   #143
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
I'd much rather the tyre nonsense was dumped. As much as I dislike ballast it doesn't create the stupid and potentially dangerous - in my opinion - problem of a car being at the sharp end on the wrong tyre acting like a mobile chicane.
Old 23 Jul 2019, 19:16 (Ref:3919067)   #144
RS67
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I'd much rather the tyre nonsense was dumped. As much as I dislike ballast it doesn't create the stupid and potentially dangerous - in my opinion - problem of a car being at the sharp end on the wrong tyre acting like a mobile chicane.
It hasn't posed a problem so far this season. Performance difference hasn't been as big as in previous seasons and the drop off has been minimal. I'd say this year they have got it right.
Old 23 Jul 2019, 20:19 (Ref:3919078)   #145
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think the tyre one is the least artificial. So that can stay
Old 24 Jul 2019, 01:06 (Ref:3919119)   #146
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I thought they might do something more interesting like have the undriven wheels powered like the old LMP1 cars, so effectively it’s a mild AWD system.
Old 24 Jul 2019, 10:22 (Ref:3919158)   #147
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l View Post
With the introduction of Hybrid technology I think BTCC are moving away from the type of regulations that other touring car series use and putting off competitors from abroad from taking part on a guest basis.

The days of guest drivers from other overseas series is over.
Guest drivers in the BTCC have never really been a big deal though - last major one I can think of (that wasn't a direct replacement for injury etc.) was Tarquini in 1999.
Old 24 Jul 2019, 11:49 (Ref:3919172)   #148
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm a big fan of hybrids, but I'm not sure what it brings to BTCC. Success ballast is a good solution because it's cheap and can't go wrong. Changing hybrid power just seems like a more complex expensive solution to achieve the same thing.
Old 24 Jul 2019, 12:01 (Ref:3919174)   #149
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You have to look at the bigger picture - for the companies looking to sponsor teams & drivers, going hybrid is the 'green' credentials that they can use to win over the funding. Within a few years, just about every new car will be hybrid of some form so just like moving to turbo engines it needs to be done.
Old 24 Jul 2019, 12:23 (Ref:3919180)   #150
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cos View Post
Guest drivers in the BTCC have never really been a big deal though - last major one I can think of (that wasn't a direct replacement for injury etc.) was Tarquini in 1999.
Menu raced for Vauxhall at Thruxton in 2007 and SEAT also drafted in Coronel from the WTCC for the same event. And then in 2009 WSR added a third car for Reid for the last three rounds but he was largely ineffective.