Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > WTCC & European Touring Car Series


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Aug 2021, 08:28 (Ref:4071334)   #1
crmalcolm
Veteran
 
crmalcolm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Nepal
Posts: 8,381
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Round Seven, Croft 18-19 Sept, Races 19,20&21

First appearing on the BTCC (then BSCC) calendar in 1968, Class winners that day were:
A-Gordon Spice, B-John Fitzpatrick, C-Frank Gardner, D-Roy Pierpoint.

Croft’s history saw a period of time when there was no tarmac surface, and Rallycross was the main category raced at the venue. 1997 saw a major revamp though, and BTCC returned that year with Alain Menu dominating proceedings. Matt Neal also took an Independent win that day and will be hoping for similar success this weekend.
There is a widely held view that the circuit favours RWD cars. This in part due to the Hairpin and tight changes of direction. The first time that constructor NGTC cars raced there though, Honda took a 1st and 3rd, sandwiching the BMW of Collard. The other two races that day also went to FWD machinery.

2013 saw Turkington take two wins and a second, seeming to underline the view that the circuit favours RWD. A feat he almost matched in 2014. 2015 saw a BMW 1-2-3 in the first race, and RWD cars take all three wins. RWD success continued through the rest of the NGTC era, with FWD cars only seemingly getting results in the 3rd race reverse grid. This was the case when the series visited in 2019, with Jordan taking two wins in his BMW, before the Focus of Chilton managed a R3 win, however all changed in 2020 with Cook taking two wins and Turkington getting the only podium for a RWD car that day with a 3rd place in race one.

With the series visiting later in the year again, will this mean the circuit is back as being FWD-friendly again?

At just over 2.1 miles in length, Croft is one of the longer circuits on the BTCC calendar, with a technical nature and tight corners, particularly the final hairpin that sees cars sometimes 3 or 4 abreast coming onto the start/finish straight. Following the recent resurfacing, Jordan set a new Qualifying lap record in 2019 of 1m21.734s, with Turkington setting a race lap record of 1m21.781s in 2020.


Neate is due to return in the Ford, following the two rounds competed by Rivett.

Early weather forecast is for fair conditions on both days, temperature around 15deg.
crmalcolm is offline  
__________________
"Donnes moi une bouteille de vin, our je suis fini"
Quote
Old 31 Aug 2021, 16:02 (Ref:4071395)   #2
porsche962fan
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,541
porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ash Sutton for 2 wins
porsche962fan is offline  
Quote
Old 31 Aug 2021, 19:52 (Ref:4071420)   #3
S griffin
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 14,623
S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
Ash Sutton for 2 wins

As much as a dead cert he was going to win R3 at Oulton, oh wait
S griffin is online now  
__________________
He who dares wins!
He who hesitates is lost!
Quote
Old 31 Aug 2021, 20:31 (Ref:4071425)   #4
BTCC frog
Racer
 
BTCC frog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 487
BTCC frog should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBTCC frog should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBTCC frog should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
As much as a dead cert he was going to win R3 at Oulton, oh wait
Has Tim Harvey eaten his hat yet?
BTCC frog is offline  
__________________
“He's going to have to work harder than a fat lad's arteries” - David Addison
Quote
Old 31 Aug 2021, 20:51 (Ref:4071426)   #5
bella
Race Official
Veteran
 
bella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1998
France
Posts: 16,537
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
*insert obligatory "he's eaten everything else" pun*
bella is offline  
__________________
devils advocate in-chief and professional arguer of both sides
Quote
Old 1 Sep 2021, 15:49 (Ref:4071519)   #6
Craner Curves
Veteran
 
Craner Curves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
United Kingdom
Kelso
Posts: 4,074
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
First appearing on the BTCC (then BSCC) calendar in 1968, Class winners that day were:
A-Gordon Spice, B-John Fitzpatrick, C-Frank Gardner, D-Roy Pierpoint.

Croft’s history saw a period of time when there was no tarmac surface, and Rallycross was the main category raced at the venue. 1997 saw a major revamp though, and BTCC returned that year with Alain Menu dominating proceedings. Matt Neal also took an Independent win that day and will be hoping for similar success this weekend.
There is a widely held view that the circuit favours RWD cars. This in part due to the Hairpin and tight changes of direction. The first time that constructor NGTC cars raced there though, Honda took a 1st and 3rd, sandwiching the BMW of Collard. The other two races that day also went to FWD machinery.

2013 saw Turkington take two wins and a second, seeming to underline the view that the circuit favours RWD. A feat he almost matched in 2014. 2015 saw a BMW 1-2-3 in the first race, and RWD cars take all three wins. RWD success continued through the rest of the NGTC era, with FWD cars only seemingly getting results in the 3rd race reverse grid. This was the case when the series visited in 2019, with Jordan taking two wins in his BMW, before the Focus of Chilton managed a R3 win, however all changed in 2020 with Cook taking two wins and Turkington getting the only podium for a RWD car that day with a 3rd place in race one.

With the series visiting later in the year again, will this mean the circuit is back as being FWD-friendly again?

At just over 2.1 miles in length, Croft is one of the longer circuits on the BTCC calendar, with a technical nature and tight corners, particularly the final hairpin that sees cars sometimes 3 or 4 abreast coming onto the start/finish straight. Following the recent resurfacing, Jordan set a new Qualifying lap record in 2019 of 1m21.734s, with Turkington setting a race lap record of 1m21.781s in 2020.


Neate is due to return in the Ford, following the two rounds competed by Rivett.

Early weather forecast is for fair conditions on both days, temperature around 15deg.
I'm so disappointed you didn't mention the return of the knowledgeable Croft crowd.
Craner Curves is offline  
Quote
Old 7 Sep 2021, 23:21 (Ref:4072554)   #7
hen henths
Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 37
hen henths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to wonder why the resurfacing work at Croft is thought to have reduced any RWD advantage. Could it be less hard on tyres now so the FWD cars can push harder and worry less about managing tyre wear?
hen henths is offline  
Quote
Old 8 Sep 2021, 10:11 (Ref:4072585)   #8
Sodemo
Veteran
 
Sodemo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Posts: 10,391
Sodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Curious how BMW seem to have lost so much pace this season...? The Infinity seems as fast as last season, so i'm sure Sutton will get some good results here. He could practically wrap up the title here if results go his way.
Sodemo is offline  
Quote
Old 8 Sep 2021, 14:52 (Ref:4072620)   #9
billy bleach
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Ireland
Cork
Posts: 1,543
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Curious how BMW seem to have lost so much pace this season...? The Infinity seems as fast as last season, so i'm sure Sutton will get some good results here. He could practically wrap up the title here if results go his way.
Didn’t the Chief engineer / designer leave WSR last year?…
billy bleach is offline  
Quote
Old 9 Sep 2021, 11:54 (Ref:4072775)   #10
sceptic
Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 2,388
sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm expecting a driver change next weekend...
sceptic is offline  
Quote
Old 9 Sep 2021, 11:56 (Ref:4072776)   #11
crmalcolm
Veteran
 
crmalcolm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Nepal
Posts: 8,381
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
I'm expecting a driver change next weekend...
Other than Neate returning - or related to?
crmalcolm is offline  
__________________
"Donnes moi une bouteille de vin, our je suis fini"
Quote
Old 9 Sep 2021, 12:00 (Ref:4072777)   #12
sceptic
Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 2,388
sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Other than Neate returning - or related to?
Unrelated.

Whether Neate returns seems dependent on how he feels after he tests the car at Brands tomorrow.
sceptic is offline  
Quote
Old 9 Sep 2021, 12:24 (Ref:4072779)   #13
Racing Harz
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Posts: 1,631
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nick Halstead replacing by Rick Parfitt.
https://www.btcc.net/2021/09/09/nick...e-up-at-croft/
Racing Harz is online now  
Quote
Old 9 Sep 2021, 12:41 (Ref:4072781)   #14
S griffin
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 14,623
S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!
Good luck to Halstead, although I don’t expect him to do any better than Parfitt tbh

Any more news on Plato?
S griffin is online now  
__________________
He who dares wins!
He who hesitates is lost!
Quote
Old 9 Sep 2021, 12:43 (Ref:4072782)   #15
sceptic
Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 2,388
sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Good luck to Halstead, although I don’t expect him to do any better than Parfitt tbh
I'd expect him to do substantially worse.
sceptic is offline  
Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2021 Supercars Championship - NTI Townsville 500 - Races 15 & 16 - Races 17 & 18 & 19 chavez Australasian Touring Cars. 30 2 Aug 2021 12:50
Croft, Sept. 10th & 11th Dave Brand Marshals Forum 6 12 Sep 2005 19:41
Seven races - you pick them SevenGrain ChampCar World Series 16 4 Jul 2002 23:08
The 'Atta Boy' awards, seven races in. Joe Fan NASCAR & Stock Car Racing 7 8 Apr 2001 10:19


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:59.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Original Website Copyright © 1998-2003 Craig Antil. All Rights Reserved.
Ten-Tenths Motorsport Forums Copyright © 2004-2021 Royalridge Computing. All Rights Reserved.