Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 18 Nov 2020, 16:24 (Ref:4017722)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Silverstone Classic

Operating from both pits. HSCC, HGPCA, GTSCC, Masters, MRL.
Old 18 Nov 2020, 16:24 (Ref:4044007)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Silverstone Classic

Operating from both pits. HSCC, HGPCA, GTSCC, Masters, MRL.
Old 21 Jan 2021, 19:23 (Ref:4030514)   #3
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Small housekeeping moment. The SC has now become Silverstone Circuits Limited event. Goose Live Events is the event management company for the event, so externally will appear the same, but explains the change of logo/identity over the winter. Ticket and hospitality sales are now direct with Silverstone Circuits via their website.
Old 21 Jan 2021, 19:23 (Ref:4044008)   #4
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Small housekeeping moment. The SC has now become Silverstone Circuits Limited event. Goose Live Events is the event management company for the event, so externally will appear the same, but explains the change of logo/identity over the winter. Ticket and hospitality sales are now direct with Silverstone Circuits via their website.
Old 21 Jan 2021, 22:11 (Ref:4030536)   #5
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hmmmm, event organiser can't pay the track rental bill because of pandemic, track owner takes the IP ownership as payment? Event organiser then does cut price deal to continue organising as part of the consideration?

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 21 Jan 2021, 22:11 (Ref:4044009)   #6
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hmmmm, event organiser can't pay the track rental bill because of pandemic, track owner takes the IP ownership as payment? Event organiser then does cut price deal to continue organising as part of the consideration?

Old 22 Jan 2021, 05:08 (Ref:4044010)   #7
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Another change due to COVID!
See what or if any changes?
Let’s hope it happens as can’t see it working unless they let punters in.
Old 22 Jan 2021, 05:08 (Ref:4030554)   #8
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Another change due to COVID!
See what or if any changes?
Old 22 Jan 2021, 07:23 (Ref:4030561)   #9
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post

I believe GLE had the event under licence from SCL previously, so it made the SC 'their' event under the licence (effectively leased out I imagine) but the ultimate event name/rights belonged to SCL, who now have it 'back'. I am sure the event will appear the same for 2021, only potential changes ahead will be if SCL's p/l ambitions for the event are different from those GLE had, I guess.
Old 22 Jan 2021, 07:23 (Ref:4044011)   #10
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post

I believe GLE had the event under licence from SCL previously, so it made the SC 'their' event under the licence (effectively leased out I imagine) but the ultimate event name/rights belonged to SCL, who now have it 'back'. I am sure the event will appear the same for 2021, only potential changes ahead will be if SCL's p/l ambitions for the event are different from those GLE had, I guess.
Old 22 Jan 2021, 07:59 (Ref:4030566)   #11
midgetman
Veteran

It's a nervous time for any big event organiser. I can see why Glastonbury cancelled, it's easier to avoid incurring costs. The knock-on to the local community is huge too - hotels, B&Bs, food suppliers, casual workers, they all earn from big events like the Classic. That's a lot of responsibility on the organisers' shoulders and the situation can change at the whim of a ministerial pen. Good luck to them.

Old 22 Jan 2021, 07:59 (Ref:4044012)   #12
midgetman
Veteran

It's a nervous time for any big event organiser. I can see why Glastonbury cancelled, it's easier to avoid incurring costs. The knock-on to the local community is huge too - hotels, B&Bs, food suppliers, casual workers, they all earn from big events like the Classic. That's a lot of responsibility on the organisers' shoulders and the situation can change at the whim of a ministerial pen. Good luck to them.

Old 30 Mar 2021, 15:07 (Ref:4043923)   #13
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
I just went to book some tickets as they emailed me a reminder that the 'early bird' prices ending tomorrow, and I was shocked at the price. So much so I didn't buy any.

They must be trying to recover the costs of last year as well.

I'm not sure they'll get many people who aren't showing cars turning up at those prices.
Old 30 Mar 2021, 15:07 (Ref:4044013)   #14
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
I just went to book some tickets as they emailed me a reminder that the 'early bird' prices ending tomorrow, and I was shocked at the price. So much so I didn't buy any.

They must be trying to recover the costs of last year as well.

I'm not sure they'll get many people who aren't showing cars turning up at those prices.
Old 30 Mar 2021, 19:28 (Ref:4043969)   #15
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
I had a similar thought when I looked at the price.......£39 for a Friday ticket...£67 for Saturday or £53 for Sunday......oh and £10 for a programme.....
Old 30 Mar 2021, 19:28 (Ref:4044014)   #16
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
I had a similar thought when I looked at the price.......£39 for a Friday ticket...£67 for Saturday or £53 for Sunday......oh and £10 for a programme.....
Old 30 Mar 2021, 21:23 (Ref:4043978)   #17
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
I think the 'shock' prices, are a result of old age, I used to get into the GP for 3/6 if I recall correctly, but my children would probably not see £63 as a lot of money, knowing what they pay for a pair of shoes or a hair cut. Unfortunately the main paying spectators would all be a bit old anyway, so may also be shocked by the prices.
Old 30 Mar 2021, 21:23 (Ref:4044015)   #18
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I think the 'shock' prices, are a result of old age, I used to get into the GP for 3/6 if I recall correctly, but my children would probably not see £63 as a lot of money, knowing what they pay for a pair of shoes or a hair cut. Unfortunately the main paying spectators would all be a bit old anyway, so may also be shocked by the prices.
Old 31 Mar 2021, 12:14 (Ref:4044048)   #19
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There has been only one way to enjoy the SC at an economic price for a number of years. If you are able to, book on a car club deal - 3 days, two adults and car in centre for £112.50 (incl. premium handling fee - whatever that is).
Daily ticket prices are the level of a small historic event on the south coast ...
Old 31 Mar 2021, 16:29 (Ref:4044079)   #20
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Oh I could get a deal through AROC but you've then got the cost of at least two nights accommodation to add on
Old 31 Mar 2021, 16:31 (Ref:4044080)   #21
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Why do we appear to have two almost identical threads going on this?
Old 31 Mar 2021, 16:39 (Ref:4044083)   #22
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, that depends where you live. It's the only advantage to living half an hour away !
Old 31 Mar 2021, 19:20 (Ref:4044107)   #23
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Why do we appear to have two almost identical threads going on this?
I blame Peter Mallet, Peter Mallet.
Old 31 Mar 2021, 19:44 (Ref:4044110)   #24
midgetman
Veteran

Quote:
We have this comment every year! I can't believe you said it again Lanky, you need to look around.

Premiership footy is £40 or more for 90 minutes. It's easy to spend £40 per head at a decent gastro pub for lunch. Many even local museum "special exhibitions" are £25 a throw. I went to watch The Police in concert 10 years or more ago and paid £120 per ticket. And all are over in a couple of hours.

For £67 you get the best Historic cars on the planet racing from early morning until past dusk. You get the car clubs to browse. The social activities. And I know no-one here likes it but there are concerts and entertainment all day and late into the night.

Jeez, it's such good value that in the past I've even bought tickets myself.

Old 1 Apr 2021, 13:29 (Ref:4044213)   #25
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Quote:
I suspect that now the event is back with Silverstone circuits, after this year the SC may well be scaled back a bit to a more mangaeable and less risky size as they seek to take some of the cost out of it. This year I imagine they are commited to running a smilar event as many tickets we rolled over from last year.